Eight billionaires own same as poorest half of the world

If the few ultra-wealthy are impacting state policy, your problem lies in political corruption.

How do you propose we solve this problem?

Put a state mandated cap on wealth?

Ban the wealthy from rubbing shoulders with politicians?

Redistribute fairly accumulated wealth with the notion of limiting power?

Not you in particular, but people in general who whine about the ultra-wealthy whine a lot with no realistic propositions.

But any proposition that says "take the money the ultra-wealthy have earned or accumulated fairly and legally, and give it to those who did not" is not a realistic proposition.

I think banning corporate donations and political advertising is a good start. What would you say to that?

I think banning corporate donations and political advertising is a good start. What would you say to that?

I don't think that's unreasonable.

But a "good start"?

A "good start" towards what?

I don't think that's unreasonable.

But a "good start"?

A "good start" towards what?

I'm glad we found some common ground. I don't want to argue with people anymore, I want to try and find common ground, like a pearl in a big ole clam

Just a good start towards keeping wealthy people subject to market discipline instead of being protected from market forces by subsidies

I'm glad we found some common ground. I don't want to argue with people anymore, I want to try and find common ground, like a pearl in a big ole clam

Just a good start towards keeping wealthy people subject to market discipline instead of being protected from market forces by subsidies

Do you think the government should end all market subsidies?

Do you think the government should end all market subsidies?

That's of course complicated, for instance pentagon or just general public sector R and D projects can lead to corporate profits by improving computers, creating the internet, etc. That's public sector investment that leads to private sector profits but I'm not entirely against that.

I think when it is evident that a market has been artificially propped up on the back of the public sector, it would be good to phase out those subsidies, yes. If something can't survive market forces it shouldn't be artificially profiting, unless there is something key at stake like the lives of millions of people

Last edited:
https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eight-billionaires-own-same-poorest-060000057.html

When I hear people saying "come on dude, your action matters, you can make a difference"

No

This 8 rich cunts can make a difference. Not me, not you reading this, not any person below and above this thread.

World hunger could be eradicated for 10% of their wealth. For another % of their wealth they could create enough windmills in the world and solar panels so no one have to ever pay for electricity again. Shutting down nuclear plants in the process.

And they will still have lots of cash left for other humanity ideas.

I can see someone asking "why they should contribute towards all that? Just because they rich and they worked they ass off entire life doesn't mean they have to do it so others can just sit on their ass"

Well I agree with you.

All I am saying is that there are people out there that can truly make a difference.

So you are okay with stealing from others? Sounds like a piece of shit thing to say.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eight-billionaires-own-same-poorest-060000057.html

When I hear people saying "come on dude, your action matters, you can make a difference"

No

This 8 rich cunts can make a difference. Not me, not you reading this, not any person below and above this thread.

World hunger could be eradicated for 10% of their wealth. For another % of their wealth they could create enough windmills in the world and solar panels so no one have to ever pay for electricity again. Shutting down nuclear plants in the process.

And they will still have lots of cash left for other humanity ideas.

I can see someone asking "why they should contribute towards all that? Just because they rich and they worked they ass off entire life doesn't mean they have to do it so others can just sit on their ass"

Well I agree with you.

All I am saying is that there are people out there that can truly make a difference.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Capitalism. Deal with it!

Ok, you've convinced me, i'm going to be a dick to everyone from now on.

if I ever make 100 billion dollars and don't spend 99% of it on making the world into a better place and/or advancing technology (especially medical) I hope the good lord smites me down with wrath and fury.
Not saying I wish this on these people, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

realistically all these super multi-billionaires are incredibly stupid.
Just because you are rich doesn't mean you won't get cancer/heart attack/stroke

The only thing that makes sense is for every super rich person to basically spend 99% of their wealth researching things like cures for cancer, how to make cloned organs, etc etc.

Why aren't they doing it? Are they so greedy they don't even care about their own lives or the lives of their children?

Are they hoping some other rich person will do it so they don't have to?

If there is ever a war between the haves and have nots, I will not be helping the haves at all, unless their daughters sell themselves to me as sexual slaves.

Those are just some examples off the top of my head of how making everything about generating maximum revenue is a shit way to run a society.

True but I don't think anyone has been arguing for laissez faire capitalism ITT

if I ever make 100 billion dollars and don't spend 99% of it on making the world into a better place and/or advancing technology (especially medical) I hope the good lord smites me down with wrath and fury.
Not saying I wish this on these people, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

out of interest, what % of what you earn right now is going to charity or other making-the-world-better activities? Or are you waiting until the billion mark comes up?

out of interest, what % of what you earn right now is going to charity or other making-the-world-better activities? Or are you waiting until the billion mark comes up?
I'm 10k in debt

Yes I think better safeguards in place to prevent the rich from influencing government policy is generally a good idea

My guess is more than half the world are lazy and dumb with the worst smart ass attitudes, so they deserve to be broke.

I'm sure a large portion of the ultra rich got that way from screwing over many people.

I wonder how much actual money they have, not just some abstract worth based on the current value of stocks they own.

If you own a diamond that is worth a 100 billion dollars but nobody can buy it, do you have a 100 billion dollars?

True but I don't think anyone has been arguing for laissez faire capitalism ITT

We're already there. that's the entire point. They've been repealing regulations designed to protect us from the exact situation we're in for decades now. For profit prison system, war profiteering, massive corruption in just about every industry.

Back