Egypt slams the UK and EU ; tells them to mind their own business

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Egypt is an authoritarian state under Sisi and recently froze the assets of 3 Rights activists. The UK and EU expressed concern. Egypt told them to "mind their own business" .

Even though the US wasn't mentioned, the US is part of the Western block and very close to the UK on most matters. Since Egypt can't stand being called out by major Western powers, the West should stop all aid to them and quit protecting the Sisi regime diplomatically. After Israel, Egypt gets the most foreign aid.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...s-eu-uk-criticizing-ruling-activists-44776511

If foreign aid to any country should cease it should in the case of Egypt. By most accounts a vicious regime worse than the Islamist one that it preceded and the one before that under Mubarak.

This case in particular shows one of the drawbacks of supporting secular strongman; they repress secular dissent just as they do Islamist dissent.
An Egyptian court on Wednesday ruled to freeze the assets of three rights activists, including a prominent women's rights campaigner, Mozn Hassan. It's the latest chapter in a widening crackdown against civil society groups that includes travel bans and a recent law that gives security agencies extensive powers over their work.
For those whose tears are shed for the women of the Muslim world take note, men like Sisi are not the answer. That is, assuming those tears are not crocodile ones.

Fuck foreign aid to anyone who opposes us in anything

Fuck foreign aid to anyone who opposes us in anything
They don't really oppose us on anything significant as far as I know, they're just mad we're calling them out for being repressive cunts. Sisi knows that to stay in power it helps to play the part of a Western stooge.

They should. White liberals need to stop projecting their views on the entire world. Let Egypt be Egyptian.

They should. White liberals need to stop projecting their views on the entire world. Let Egypt be Egyptian.
I don't know about the UK but the US hands them billions in aid every year so I definitely think we're entitled to a little criticism of them, especially since it reflects poorly on us in the long run.

Besides, what he's doing has nothing to do with some specific cultural practice or some law that was democratically legislated, its just plain ole repression of civil society. Nothing particularly Egyptian about it.

If foreign aid to any country should cease it should in the case of Egypt. By most accounts a vicious regime worse than the Islamist one that it preceded and the one before that under Mubarak.
but da pyramids tho,...

still on bucket list

=(

but da pyramids tho,...

still on bucket list

=(
Tbh I never really cared to see the pyramids or the sphinx. I think I'd rather read a book about them and ancient Egypt than actually visit them.

Tbh I never really cared to see the pyramids or the sphinx. I think I'd rather read a book about them and ancient Egypt than actually visit them.
I felt that way about Rome too, then i saw the Parthenon and imagined myself climbing all over it cuz i just played Assassins Creed!

I felt that way about Rome too, then i saw the Parthenon and imagined myself climbing all over it cuz i just played Assassins Creed!
A teacher of mine went to Egypt for his honeymoon. Said he was surrounded by armed guards the whole time. Probably wouldn't need that visiting the Parthenon.

A teacher of mine went to Egypt for his honeymoon. Said he was surrounded by armed guards the whole time. Probably wouldn't need that visiting the Parthenon.
You'll be surrounded by other foreigners and local italian bitches
italian-hot-girl-world-cup-2014.jpg

Hot Italian Bitches

You'll be surrounded by other foreigners and local italian bitches
italian-hot-girl-world-cup-2014.jpg

Hot Italian Bitches
Contrast that to Egypt, where 90% of the women wear hijabs. Not exactly the best place for eye candy.

I'm cool with that...infact, i'd rather we did

Fine with me, as long as we stop all aid as well.

You crazy. I'd visit if it wasn't dangerous to visit.

I watched this interview with former Arab League secretary general Amr Moussa on RT yesterday (replayed from Dec. 4th/2016). I found the superiority complex of Egypt and Saudi Arabia over Iran and Turkey on full display - which is obvious I suppose. But then, the added level of superiority of Egypt and their demand for prominence and even leadership in the Arab world. Amr passes off the Sunni/Shia divide, but clearly it plays into the equation. A lot of this interview sounds like typical snake oil sales, with nuce-sounding rhetoric of peace and change and new things, but the issue of central divisive arrogance remains a constant.

Back