Efforts of an Aging Ectomorph (lifting)

sounds good....good luck with that

I guess i misunderstood your deadlift trouble....then i guess it is mostly grip....

I guess deadlifts off a platform, snatch deadlifts, perhaps GHR....for help off the floor...//maybe even some deep box squats...

03/31/2007:
Didn't get any exercise of any kind in on Friday night. Nothing on Saturday either, but I did get my gripper in the mail. Spent a good 15 minutes or so fooling around with the thing. Submitted for your amusement (and so that I can look back on these months from now and bask in how far I've progressed, hopefully), Stonebreaker trying to close a CoC #2:

With the right hand:
100_2764.jpg

And the left:
100_2765.jpg

04/01/2007:
Warm-up: Arc Trainer for 10 minutes at resistance 25 at c. 130 strides/minute

Full Squat: 85x14, 135x5, 205(old PR) x 0 (pause at the bottom, got it to about legs parallel to the floor, stalled, held, failed), 205x1, 215x0

Lift time: 17 minutes.
Body Weight: 196

Notes:
This ridiculously short workout brought to you by familial obligations, last minute schedule changes, and someone else's migraine. No such convenient explanation for my struggle to match my old squat PR, let alone failing to hit a new one. I think I'll be trying again on Tuesday after maxing out my bench press.

Having looked over Smashius' last few PR log entries, I'll throw in some additional warm up sets in on Tuesday. Is there a rep/%1RM scheme that you use, or just work up to heavier singles before tackling a weight you've never lifted before?

As for the CoC#2... I knew that I wasn't going to be able to close it when I order the thing. Can't even get it all the way closed with both hands to set up a proper negative. Eh. I'm not aiming to be a grip-god, just get to the point where my DL is limited by "can I lift this" and not "can I hold on to this". We shall see....

Stonebreaker said:
or just work up to heavier singles before tackling a weight you've never lifted before?

This is what I usually do.

I find that it is good to get in plenty of warm-up sets and work on a few heavy singles, adding weight in small increments, before going for a PR. This is especially important for me on the squat as that lift is proving to be the most difficult for me when it comes to increasing my 1rm. Ironically, it also happens to be the lift that I excel at the most when it comes to increasing my reps.

My final warm up set is at 90% of my attempt, set before that will generally be around 80% and I'll have done 2-4 warm up sets even lower.

eg. to deadlift 205 i did - 3x90, 110, 130, 150, 170, 190 then 205, total of six warm up sets, you'll find they actually get progressively easier as your body warms up and your muscles start firing properly.

04/03/2007:
Warmup: Stupid-Cross-Trainer-thing-that-I'll-never-use-again-because-the-leg-motion-felt-like-I-was-continuously-stumbling for 10 minutes @ level 7 (flat resistance) @ c. 55 RPM

Bench Press (all reps with 1-sec pause at bottom): 85x14, 135x6, 155x3, 175x2, 195x1, 205x0 (chalking this up to a miscommunication with my spotter), 205x1 (ties old PR, used a different spotter), 215x0 (barely budged it, maybe got it 1" up).

Cable Leg Press Machine (squat rack was occupied, I wanted to warm up): "210"x10, "250"x5

Full Squat: 155x5, 175x3, 195x 1, 205x1 (match old PR), 215x0, 215x0 (both failures got up a few inches before stalling out)

Total lift time: 66 minutes
Cool-down: Less-annoying-cross-trainer-from-a-different-manufacturer for 20 minutes @ level 9 (flat resistance) @ c. 60 RPM
Stretch: 10 minutes basic static stretches.
Bodyweight: 200

Notes:
Disappointment tastes a lot like blood.

Try closing the gripper against your leg......this is how I do it....you should be able to close much harder grippers this way...

Failure is just part of progress. Give it time.

Stonebreaker said:
03/31/2007:
Didn't get any exercise of any kind in on Friday night. Nothing on Saturday either, but I did get my gripper in the mail. Spent a good 15 minutes or so fooling around with the thing. Submitted for your amusement (and so that I can look back on these months from now and bask in how far I've progressed, hopefully), Stonebreaker trying to close a CoC #2:

With the right hand:
100_2764.jpg

And the left:
100_2765.jpg

holy crap, this will sound pretty gay but you have some man hands. im tired of my woman hands. i dont know where i got it too, cant blame genetics....

Zerocrew1984 said:
holy crap, this will sound pretty gay but you have some man hands. im tired of my woman hands. i dont know where i got it too, cant blame genetics....
If it's any comfort, I have dainty little feet.

It's no joke: I'm 6'4" and wear a size 11. If that isn't a dainty foot, I don't know what is. :)

You are a big guy. Size 11 is not that small at 6'4. Not like you have size 7-8 feet.

04/04/2007:
Recumbent bike: 20 minutes at moderate resistance at c. 70 RPM
Pushup ladder, 20-second "rest" intervals: total 'height' of 9.

Notes:
Just a bit of light work to try to get rid of the soreness from Tuesday before lifting again on Thursday. Pushups have left my pecs and triceps more sore this morning than they were last night. Good thing my DL day doesn't use either of those muscles in the slightest.

04/05/2007:
Warmup: Arc Trainer for 10 minutes @ level 25 @ c. 130 SPM

Deadlift: 225x5, 275x4, 305x2, 340x1, 365x0.9 (I don't think I got my shoulders all the way back on the lockout, would have been a 10-lb PR), 365x0, 365x0 (didn't even get it off the floor either time), 315x1

Straight-Back, Stiff-Leg DL: 80x6

BW Pullups: 7

Straight-Back, Stiff-Leg DL: 80x5

BW Pullups: 3

Total lift time: 43 minutes
Cool-down: TB Elliptical for 20 minutes on "interval" setting. This thing's intervals were 1 minute at low resitance ("level 5") and 1 minute at a barely higher "level 8." Kept my strides/minute around 130 for the low(er) periods and 160 for the high(er) ones. If I use this setting again, I will need to increase the level. This was next to nothing.
Stretch: 10 minutes basic static stretches.
Bodyweight: 197

Fooled around with the CoC#2 later that evening: bad mistake. Hands were fried from the workout, and I could barely budge the thing with my left hand. Additional frustration was not what I needed.

Notes:
My second cycle of the ExRx.net "Basic Power Cycle" is in the books. I'll go update the front page accordingly. The first cycle saw an 11% increase in my three-lift total, and the second resulted in a 4% increase (15% overall). I think that the big jump from the first cycle can probably be attributed to just getting better at the lifts and a dash of newbie gains. I'll give it another run-through (c. 9 weeks) before passing any final judgement; if it can get me past this little plateau I've hit, great. If not, I'll find something else. Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" seems to be an obvious choice; otherwise, I'll probably try something assembled from the S&P FAQ suggested workout.

Gym Notes:
In the midst of failing to set a personal record, I had the opportunity to observe one of the resident bicep monkeys at close range. Denied his usual curling spot in the power rack, he adapted by simply moving over to a near-by flat bench and using its rack to rest the bar between sets. Weights used for his barbell curls ranged from 65 to 85 pounds, (i.e. 2 or 4 10-lb plates on the bar), despite our gym having pre-loaded bars at 60, 70, 80 and 90 lbs not but twenty feet away. I think I understand part of the curl-monkeys' behavior: biceps get noticed, and if you want bigger biceps, you do curls. It's the compulsion to use a rack (power, or bench, apparently) to rest the bar between sets that I don't understand.

MMA Notes:
Watched Ultimate Fight Night, though I got home too late to catch Florian/Mishima. Three things really jumped out at me:

1.Joe Stevenson is a dangerous SOB.
2. Nate Mohr has some fast, fast hands and could develop into a force to be reckoned with.
3. Frank Mir had to be sitting on his couch somewhere, thinking that training injury be damned, he should have stuck with the fight with Hardonk. Hardonk/McCully was just an ugly fight, and if I'd been a judge, I would have sent both of them home with a loss if I could.

As for TUF5: WTF is up with all these scrawny-ass lightweights? I mean, Yves Edwards had been my image for a tall, lanky lightweight at 5'10", but some of these guys make Edwards look like Fedor. Cole Miller is 6'1", and according to the fight finder, has fought at 145. Spike/UFC says that Corey Hill is 6'4", and the idea of someone my height fighting at 155 just baffles me. Normally, I always pull for the tall, lanky guys, but this is a bit much.

04/06/2007:
Recumbent bike: 5 minute warm up, HIIT (60:30 low resistance low speed/higher resitance, higher speed) x8, 5 mintue cool-down.
Pushups: Moved my hands back and down to roughly the "elbows tucked" position that I'm still trying to get used to on the bench press. 14 pushups. Sigh.

MMA notes:
1. Where the hell did Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou come from? How do you go from a 2-1 pro record and basically being Team Quest's judo coach to splattering two of the top 10 (top 5?) guys in your weight division in less than two months?
2. Butterbean via Keylock? What?
3. Big Nog in the UFC makes me happy. The mere possibility of Nog/Couture makes me happy.
4. I'm glad that someone finally took Sanchez down a peg.
5. I wish it wasn't Koscheck that did it. He's a changed and better fighter, but I still don't like him much.
6. See my earlier comments on Hughes and Silva: all champions lose some time, but I hate to see it happen when they are so obviously off their game. St. Pierre now joins that list.
7. "UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Serra" just sound very, very strange. As his first defense will almost certainly be against Hughes, I don't think we'll be hearing it very long.

Stoner said:
or just work up to heavier singles before tackling a weight you've never lifted before?

That's what I do man. Messing with percentages makes my dick hurt, so just throw some weight up there and gradually increase until you smash your PR. Once you get to your old PR though, increase like 5lbs at a time.

Back