Efforts of an Aging Ectomorph (lifting)

December 22, 2011:
Re-Starting Strength: Week 20, Day 3
Warm-up: Rowing machine: 8 minutes at resistance 10: 1700m

Squat: Warm-up, 225x6x3 (set 3 was not easy)

BB BP: Warm-up, 185x6x3

Total lift time: 51 minutes
Stretch: skipped
Body weight: 239lbs
Missed lifting: 20 day(s) in the last 12 weeks.

Notes:
Pressed for time once again.

Playing around with Prilepin’s numbers. As much as I dropped the weight for these lifts, the sets didn’t feel especially easy.

2011 might not quite be over, but my contributions to the Squat & Press competition are in the books. I'll remember you fondly, Tosa's anarcho-sydicalist squat & overhead collective.

squat-1.png

Last edited:
December 28, 2011:
Re-Starting Strength: Week 21, Day 1
Warm-up: Arc Trainer: 8 minutes at resistance 15, incline 6: 0.39mi

Back Extensions: +10x12x3
-superset with-

It's a humble little log here, but I do aim to please.

Didn't you fall off the face of Sherdog for two years or so? Should I feel abashed for not noticing your return?

No not at all, I've been a member for a while but never really started on a semi regular basis much until getting into this great sub-forum, I still don't post much now, so there wasn't really much you've missed out on!

December 29, 2011:
Re-Starting Strength: Week 21, Day 2
Warm-up: Rowing machine: 8 minutes at resistance 10: 1660m

Squat: Warm-up, 230x6x3 (last rep of last set wasn’t pretty)

OHP: Half of a warm-up.

Total lift time: 29 minutes
Stretch: skipped
Body weight: 239lbs
Missed lifting: 19 day(s) in the last 12 weeks.

Notes:
As Fatkid used to say, “Time Expired.”

One more week of FUBAR’d scheduling, and then back into my 4/week groove. Of course, by then I’ll be trying to work in around the hordes of New Year’s Resolutionists who will be crowding every gym in the world until April or so. Sigh.

January 5, 2012:
Starting Strength-Inspired Semi-Program: Week 1, Day 1
Warm-up: Rowing machine: TB X-Ramp: 8 minutes at ramp 6, resistance 8: 0.71mi

OHP: Warm-up, 115x6x3

Squat: Warm-up, 235x6, 235x5, 235x4x2

DL: Skipped

Total lift time: 55 minutes
Stretch: 20 minutes
Body weight: 238lbs
Missed lifting: 20 day(s) in the last 12 weeks.

Later:
Grip work: Green egg/red bands x12x2
CoC #1: Right: x4, x8x3, Left: x2, x1, x2x2
CoC #2: x0x3 each hand

Notes:
I’m still kind of fumbling around for a program to fit into my awkward-ass lifting schedule. Current (rough) plan is to continue with the ‘consecutive days’ SS layout with Prilepin’s set/reps/volume instead of Rippetoe’s straight 3 sets of 5. If it works out for me, I’ll come up with a better title for the log entry header.

I was expecting a screaming horde of New Year’s Resolutionists to be jamming up the gym today, but instead found the usual Thursday volume only slightly increased by college kids home on break. Maybe the Resolutionists will be there next week. Maybe this is the year that America decides that it really isn’t going to drop the 20 pounds that it’s been meaning to and won’t bother trying.

There was a kid doing some truly awful squats in the rack when I arrived. Working in wasn’t going to work well, so I did the OHP first. I also skipped the one set of deadlifts; squatting with a nice OHP break before the DL has worked fine for me; one set of heavy DLs immediately after squatting seemed like an exercise in futility.

Got the CoC #1 for Christmas, and using it confirmed that my right hand is way ahead of my left. Might need to pick up the 1.5 soon; as the #1 seems to be simple volume work for my right hand, but closing my old #2 is still a long way off.

MMA Notes:

Sarah Kaufman is justifiably pissed about getting passed over for the shot at Tate's belt in favor of Ronda Rousey, and I'm really of two minds about it.

On the one hand: Kaufman is 14-1, is a former champion, has previously beaten Tate, and won both fights that Strikeforce has put in front of her since losing the title to Coenen. Rousey, on the other hand, has all of four professional fights against a combined opponents' record of 12-4, and has never fought even once at the weight she's challenging for the title. This looks a lot like promotional shennanigans and the possiblity that Rousey has managed to Tweet her way into a title shot.

On the other hand, and speaking as a unwavering supporter of WMMA: I was truly dreading Kaufman/Tate II. WMMA has a new lease on life with the Strikeforce extension, and I was deathly afraid of seeing its time in the spotlight devoured by what would almost certainly have been a slow, five-round grinder between "Clinch" Kaufman and "Top-Control" Tate. Whatever may come out of Tate/Rousey, it's not going to be slow, and it isn't going be be boring.

Is it fair to Kaufman? Not really. Do I understand why it was done? Yep. It seems like Kaufman is getting a taste of the Yushin Okami rule: you can't be ignored as long as you keep winning, but just winning isn't enough to bring you every opportunity that you want. If the rumored Kaufman/Davis fight materializes, then she's got a chance of breaking out of her self-imposed record of slow, grinding fights and make Kaufman/Tate II something that fans will be clamoring to see.

Will be interested to see how your programme goes. Nice to see your old av back as well.

January 7, 2012:
Starting Strength-Inspired Semi-Program: Week 1, Day 2
Warm-up: Rowing machine: 8 minutes at resistance 10: 1620m

BB BP: Warm-up, 190x6x3

Squat: Warm-up, 240x5x3, 240x4 (ugly last rep)

Total lift time: 55 minutes
Stretch: 20 minutes
Body weight: 237lbs
Missed lifting: 21 day(s) in the last 12 weeks.

Notes:
Yet another day of misordered lifts due to other people having the audacity to be using the power rack when I want to use it, which in turn lead to doing two lifts today instead of three. I had a return to the power clean penciled in for today; still not sure if I want to do them again or if I should find some other third lift for the squat/bench days. I’ll at least do the PCs the courtesy of trying them again for the first time in years before crossing them off and doing something else.

Gym Notes:
This does not make me happy.
51ec94e0.jpg

January 8, 2012:
Starting Strength-Inspired Semi-Program: Week 1, Day 3
Warm-up: Rowing machine: 8 minutes at resistance 10: 1630m

Back Extensions: +10x12x3
-superset with-

No chalk? Aaargh. Will you find another gym?

I'll be switching over to liquid chalk for the few times that I routinely chalk up (deadlifts). If I get called out for the liquid chalk... yeah. Probably time to find a gym that cares more about my grip on the bar than the need to occasionally sweep up chalk dust.

And, for no better reason than I was going through my Photobucket stash and came across it, one of my favorite pictures to come out of an MMA bout.

KoscheckLytle230UFC86.jpg

Chris Lytle says "I'm not dead yet." :)

January 11, 2012:
Starting Strength-Inspired Semi-Program: Week 2, Day 1
Warm-up: foolishly skipped

Squat: Warm-up, 245x4x3, 245x3

OHP: Warm-up, 120x6x3

DL: 355x4 (no attempt 5)

Total lift time: 59 minutes
Stretch: 16 minutes
Body weight: 238lbs
Missed lifting: 19 day(s) in the last 12 weeks.

Notes:
Unless otherwise noted, all sets since December 22 or so are “as many reps as cleanly possible.” When my form gets ugly, the set ends.

Slightly disappointing day. No real reason that I couldn’t get a fifth rep on at least one or two of the squat sets, and the 5th DL rep should have been possible as well. I blame my skipped warm up.

Also tried changing my OHP from the Rippoetoe-recommended “lean back to get the bar clear of your head” to the Arlecchino-recommended “look up to get the bar clear of your head.” Not surprisingly, the habits developed over a few years of lifting aren’t easily overridden.

Gym Notes:
I am certain that the young lady who showed up in the weight room wearing Ugg slippers did not come to the gym with any intention of doing any work. We all have our reasons for being there, but I don’t think it’s a bad idea to come prepared to actually exercise just in case the mood strikes you.

January 11, 2012:
Starting Strength-Inspired Semi-Program: Week 2, Day 2
Warm-up: TB X-Ramp: 8 minutes at resistance 8, ramp 6: 0.72 mi

Back Extensions: +15x8x4
-superset with-

That's a badass picture. I wish I had one of those of myself. But then I would have to train and not faint at the sight of blood, so I guess it's not going to happen.

That's a badass picture. I wish I had one of those of myself. But then I would have to train and not faint at the sight of blood, so I guess it's not going to happen.
For what it's worth, I'm sure Lytle would much rather have had a picture of him with his hand raised after that fight instead of one of him doing his Terminator impression.

Besides, Bubble Boy took his first amateur fight when he was over 40. What's stopping you? :)

Back