Effectiveness and Best Muay Thai in UFC?

chill out, he's just asking a question. he's not posting a thread purely to troll., like ck did

So Muay Thai always seemed to be the best striking for MMA. With it's history of competition and it's effective kicks and jabs, it seemed like Muay Thai would shine in MMA, but I really don't see a lot of good MT in the UFC. I can't think of many top 5 fighters in any division who utilize MT effectively.

Edson Barboza in my mind seems to have the best strikes in MMA. He is really quick and sharp with his strikes. Every fight he gets better and better. In his last fight I was blown away by his combos and super sharp and powerful strikes. Yet he still lost to a guy who seemed to have comparatively unremarkable striking skills.

I've been taking MT for over a year now and it's kind of discouraging to see that my training is mostly for naught if I decide to go the way of MMA.
Every single mma fighter trains muay thai to some extent plus we have never had high level muay thai guys flock to mma in the same numbers bjj or wrestlers do...if they did wed see a lot better standard

Bottom line in mma u see thai techniques used all the time ,the fact wrestling seems to dominate is due to the sheer numbers of prime wrestlers taking up mma ....other styles are used yes but none has large numbers of prime guys with extensive competition backgrounds flocking to it like wrestling has.

First of all the most competitive divisions in muay thai are at 135 lbs and below. Second of all most of the good muay thai fighters come from thailand where pro mma is banned. Third, muay thai in america is really low level, especially those who train mma.
MMA is banned in Thailand but Muay Thai is "acceptable" lol

Back