Edwin Barboza....2 inches from champ....Needs GSP as coach

Barboza needs to work on his boxing, it’s really bad, horrendous footwork, bad defence, not a lot of power in his hands either.

He needed to be GSP. GSP did not let Hughes off the hook after a head kick. Or did not let Bisping off the hook. Even though he was not in his prime condition when he dropped Bisping.

He took too much of a beating. And didn’t have the conditioning or wherewithal to finish that fight.
Yup...he should hang with a guy like GSP....use his athleticism to reduce damage, and put the hurt on when the opportunity is there

Cut Edgar "Captain" Barbosa some slack though, he has timed knees to the face as a successful TD-defence before.

LOL @ GSP as a coach

Considering how much money he earns and is worth, how much would he charge for an hour of his time?
Edson would be broke after a few lessons.

Still, Engelbert Bambooza gave us this gem, which we cannot thank him enough for.

LOL @ GSP as a coach

Considering how much money he earns and is worth, how much would he charge for an hour of his time?
Edson would be broke after a few lessons.
I see what you are saying...but if you are willing to get your ass kicked for a living?
GSP has always sought out the best training.
He is reaping the rewards.
I'm saying Barboza has the stuff to be better....and with training...a star.

he can train his chin with hunt too and cardio with nate.

Nothing on the kick that hit Khabib

Guy is already in a good camp with good training partners and coaches

Edson is a dangerous guy but not elite and should have never been ranked in the top 5, fringe top 10 fighter at best.

I'd say Fringe Top 10 at best, he was KO'ed by a Jab from Cerrone, and is only lethal at kicking range.

Barboza's footwork looks like he's constantly about to trip over himself, it triggers me.

More than anything, it's boxing. He tends to put a lot of weight into his punches, I guess he is used to doing that with his kicks. His punches aren't crisp, his jab is okay. I hope they match him up with a striker next, honestly he matches up poorly with almost the entire top 10 LW roster at this point.

Not sure how people are saying Barboza has bad tdd, he fought the 2 best wrestler's in the division back to back lol. He successfully defended 5 of Lee's 9 TD attempts and defended both of Lee's attempts in rd 5. Barboza was gassed and could barely see but still stopped Lee's takedowns in the 5th rd. Even after fighting Khabib and Lee his TDD is 80%.

Also Khabib only landed 4 of his 13 TD attempts on Barboza. His ground game sucks ass but his TDD is pretty damn good.

Barboza has great TDD he just fought 2 of the best Wrestlers in MMA, thats the thing they make it look easy but when Edson fights again he will show that its still there sometimes there are guys you cant do anything about the takedown, he looked sloppy on the standup maybe it was desperation but i feel like his hands need work.

The main problem is his horrible boxing. No one respects his hands, even Dariush was getting the better out of him until he got caught by that flying knee.

His boxing isn’t horrible. Go watch the Pettis fight. He just can’t deal with pressure and strike off his back foot.

Edwin?

giphy.gif

His boxing isn’t horrible. Go watch the Pettis fight. He just can’t deal with pressure and strike off his back foot.

Pettis' boxing is also not good, his boxing falls apart against a lot of people. He lunges way too much with his uppercuts, and he telegraphed a lot of his shots by swaying and leaning. He clearly trains boxing in a boxing specific relm, because when he throws punches he is always off centerline, but in MMA his slips should be more subtle so that he can maintain his base and also move more.

1:55 is a good example, the body uppercut

My point.....
He is the type of guy who should be able to dictate the pace....everyone is afraid of his kicks. He needs to learn another level to his game.
He can finish anyone at anytime.....he just should quit relying on that.

Back