Education Requirements for UFC Fighters?

Bigmanbud

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Like the title says..how would you feel about requiring UFC fighters to have a GED or HS Diploma, and an equivalent for fighters born out of the US? This sort of requirement isn't unheard in professional sports.

What would be the point?

I hate listening to people like War Machine and Nick Diaz talk. They make themselves and the sport sound moronic.

But really, who needs a high school diploma or college degree to get punched in the head?

In most countries having a degree, or just the opportunity to have one, has a lot to do with a persons Socioeconomic status.

Making that a requirement will just be discriminating (Along with other reasons why it's a bad idea).

First, I can't understand why this would be necessary. Second, it would create the possibility of a scenario in which a potential number one contender is kept out of the UFC due to his lack of a high school diploma. Say this guy is undefeated and destroying fighters in smaller orgs, but is forever barred from upper level competition because of this nonsensical rule.

Not sure I see the point.

Also, the UFC has the right to cut or not sign people for being stupid. It's happened before.

That would be horrible. We want to see the best fighters in the world not the most well spoken.

Frank Mir wouldn't be a UFC fighter if their was an education requirement. dude dropped out to play dungeons and dragons full time.

With all due respect, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've seen these days here. (There is no point, makes no sense...)

At least two PHD's and one has to be STIM PHD and Nobel winner or at the very least nominee.

I think it's a fine requirement, because at least they're being realistic in telling guys that "Not every one of you will make it as an MMA fighter long term. And having at least the basic educational skills will ensure that you'll be able to land some sort of job if this doesn't pan out".

You see this with boxers a lot. The vast majority of the time, you have boxers coming from poor, impoverished backgrounds with minimal education with no education to fall back on. Just like in MMA, only a handful of boxers truly "make it". There are a few who save their money up and have something to fall back on after their careers, and then there are the vast majority who become burnout precautionary tales. Guys who never made it beyond the journeyman stage, and didn't have any kind of education to fall back on, but ended up hanging on for too long and now they're punch drunk fools. That happens all too often in boxing.

At least the UFC is trying to be up front about the chances of a fighter actually "making it" by telling them to at least have a HS diploma/GED to fall back on. They should be commended for that.

If sherdog had an education requirement this thread wouldn't exist.

I think it's a fine requirement, because at least they're being realistic in telling guys that "Not every one of you will make it as an MMA fighter long term. And having at least the basic educational skills will ensure that you'll be able to land some sort of job if this doesn't pan out".

You see this with boxers a lot. The vast majority of the time, you have boxers coming from poor, impoverished backgrounds with minimal education with no education to fall back on. Just like in MMA, only a handful of boxers truly "make it". There are a few who save their money up and have something to fall back on after their careers, and then there are the vast majority who become burnout precautionary tales. Guys who never made it beyond the journeyman stage, and didn't have any kind of education to fall back on, but ended up hanging on for too long and now they're punch drunk fools. That happens all too often in boxing.

At least the UFC is trying to be up front about the chances of a fighter actually "making it" by telling them to at least have a HS diploma/GED to fall back on. They should be commended for that.

So the solution to help these guys "make it" is to remove them from competition? Great idea. "You don't have that many avenues for success, because of this, we are going to remove one of your avenues for success. Have a good day."

Back