Educated Guess: Ben Askren announces his return to MMA on January 23rd

The JRE isnt one where big announcements are made, they usually just shoot the shit for +3 hours. If it were MMA Hour, it'd be a different story.

IIf its Askren vs Rory, i'd pick Rory......

Askren has an excellent control game, but this is against the kid that was training with GSP when he was a kid.....

Rory will be able to gameplan away from the ground game and dominate the stand up.....

Rory wins because the fight spends more time on the feet than on the ground.....

I notice alot of people comparing Askrens style Khabibs... and while yes, there are many similar folkstyle technique similarities in their games, Khabibs ability to constantly keep himself postured and balanced to throw bombs makes a HUGE difference in how suffocating their styles are.....

Khabibs style is more effective at tiring the opponent, breaking their spirit, and scoring rounds (30-24)....

If there was a 170lber that fought exactly like Khabib, it would still be a tossup between that fighter and Rory.....but against Askren, i dont see Rory getting beat at all....

It would be a stupid fight for Askren to take.....a loss against Rory would lead to people questioning his whole career......

If Askren never takes this fight....all fans could say is "we'll never know, but he was a damn good fighter"

But if he takes the fight and loses.....there is going to be a rabid faction of fandom screaming "cancrusher!" and invalidating his whole career before and since.....

Back