Edson fought 107 days ago

I'm definitely concerned that he accepted a fight with another wrestler after that mauling he took from Khabib. Good on him though. I don't think a 4 month layoff is too soon.

I don't really understand the rush for him, or how much progress expects to have achieved in a few months.

Really tough fight to come back to, and even a win won't really move him much closer to Khabib seeing how one sided that was.

The "beating" is exaggerated
He was just dominated, it wasn't some ridiculous beatdown where he was on the brink of being brutally KO'd.
He was consistently beat in the face. Would you let him drive you home on the interstate after that bearing?

Barboza is a motherfucker and Lee is not Khabib. I think Edson has been working on his takedown defense, which is actually very good. Just not good enough against the elite of the elite and current champion. Now I will say that Lee is very talented and well-conditioned as well. He's really a stud. It's going to be a great fight, but I got Barboza. I will be very, very impressed if Lee is able to beat up Edson.

The thing is some of these fighters can't afford to take long periods of time off not just because of money, but they're not getting any younger and they want to get right back into the swing or things ASAP. That's why Frankie Edgar has a quick turn around and Edson. It's put up or shut up. 1 loss can't demoralize you and put you on the bench for a year. It seems like it does to a lot of fighters though. That's sand ticking down the hour glass. When youre 30+ it's go time.

Yeah the danger of combat sports is that professional athletes don't stop fighting even when they know that it's time to quit.

But hey, MMA is still a young sport and we haven't seen what most of these guys look like in their 60s and 70s yet.

Randy still seems to be pretty articulate in his 50s. Guys like Wanderlei and Hunt though are not so lucky.

More concerned about Frankie who just got KO'd.
this. i thought it was funny how Edgar posted he was back in training for his next fight a week after he got KOed - then had to reassure everyone it wasn't with any full contact head shots.
yea, right...

and took the worst beating of his career and he’s fighting again this weekend...should we be concerned it’s too soon?
I can't judge this individual situation, but I do think fighters who get beat up badly and especially badly KOed during a fight should take a longer respite to heal.

and took the worst beating of his career and he’s fighting again this weekend...should we be concerned it’s too soon?

It wasn't that bad. People overhype Khabib's GnP. It's effective buts not Shane Carwin GnP

I'm definitely concerned that he accepted a fight with another wrestler after that mauling he took from Khabib. Good on him though. I don't think a 4 month layoff is too soon.

kevin lee and khabib are on totally different levels of wrestling. im picking barboza in this fight

He didn’t get KOd. Which seems to be a bigger deal as a yard stick. At least with concussion protocols. But Bisping got pounded on and choked out by GSP. Then got KTFO 3 weeks later.

I thought that was a really bad idea.

As someone else mentioned. Edgar did get KOd.

Sometimes I see some serious “ Go Fever “ in mma.

Nothing compares to head caved in followed by choked out by GSP Bisping, only to tunaround and fight 3 weeks later.

Frankie fighting Cub so soon after being knocked out by Ortega is also worse.

It's Frankie's life to live, but I wish he had taken six months off from sparring, let alone reentering the cage.

More concerned about Frankie who just got KO'd.

Truth, I love Frankie but this wasn't a smart choice to accept this fight. It's kinda a lose lose situation too because most except Frankie to win and he already holds a win over Cub.

It's Frankie's life to live, but I wish he had taken six months off from sparring, let alone reentering the cage.
Of course its his life and he is a big boy but as a huge fan, seeing him finished was rough to watch, even while still being a fan of Ortega. I thought the dude would surely retire while being able to say he never got finished.

Lol at ''worst beating of his life'', he went to decision, the guy was ko-d before.

So you think being KO'd is always worse?

Guarantee a fighter would much rather be KO'd than go through a meat grinder for multiple rounds.

Junior Dos Santos got KO'd by Stipe in 2 minutes. Was that worse than JDS getting annihilated by Cain?

Back