Edgar will do better on the feet than Aldo did.

Much as I love Edgar, I think this is Holloway's fight to lose. Based off the Aldo fights, it looks like most of the takedown defense begins well before the actual takedown is shot, and Holloway has a number of tools at his disposal.

His height and ability to fight long will be a problem, as he's a fighter who finds and utilizes his range to pick guys apart, with scary execution. He doesn't have the most reach (even for his height), but his defense in many of the exchanges allows him to simply fade away from counters, where even if they do land, he has a solid enough chin to absorb blows and fire back. That's not the type of fight Edgar wants to be in, as he's likely to come up on the receiving end much more often.

Fighting at range and in the lowered stance Holloway tends to, allows him to anticipate the TD and respond, and a fair chance at stuffing/stalling them out. Edgar certainly mixes up his attempts, but there's only going to be so many methods to approach at range. Once Holloway sees the game plan, there's fair potential he capitalizes and pulls away as things go on.

Now Edgar has fought guys as big and heavier than Holloway, for sure. Personally, I think he's really going to have to use all of his arsenal, including generous leg kicks (while intercepting any of Holloway's), but the champ is a scary guy, in his prime, firing on all cylinders, all while supremely confident. I don't like to doubt Edgar, but I do think this is an uphill battle for him. May the better man win.

A lot of this is true, but here's food for thought: when is the last time he fought an elite pressure fighter? Max has been dictating the pace in all of his fights lately, but he hasn't been facing pressure fighters.

Edgar is a relentless pressure fighter. The last pressure fighter max fought was Conor mcGregor. Edgar should look to keep max on the back foot as much as possible.

Also, Edgar is the best takedown artist Max will have ever faced. Max's tdd has improved, but if he tries to get aggressive like he always does and jump in the pocket, that can be timed.

Last edited:
He did land several hard unanswered leg kicks in the rematch. Historically, Max just eats leg kicks or tries to counter them--more often than not he eats them.

Good point.

Slot of this is true, but here's good for thought: when is the last time he fought an elite pressure fighter? Max has been dictating the pace in all of his fights lately, but he hasn't been a fan of pressure fighters.

Edgar is a relentless pressure fighter. The last pressure fighter max fought was Conor mcGregor. Edgar should look to keep max on the back foot as much as possible.

Also, Edgar is the best takedown artist Max will have ever faced. Max's tdd has improved, but if he tries toget aggressive like he always does and jump in the pocket, that can be timed.

Ha, you are getting me hyped for this fight.

Do you think Edgar will do better on the feet against Max than Aldo did? I do. I think that even if he can't secure a takedown, max will respect the threat and be thrown off by Frankie's takedown feints.

Bonus pic--the size difference is real. I wish Frankie went to 135lbs after UFC 200, but Frankie gonna Frankie.

WTF? How is this a fair fight. Looks like a man vs a child. Is Edgar even gonna be able to reach his opponents chin?

He didn't forget, he got taught not to kick. Max punished him for kicks early.

Horrible matchup for Aldo all around, which is exacerbated by a lack of gameplan or thought regarding anything other than striking. Max is also a pretty damn big 145'er.

Good point.

Frankie isn't likely to Target the legs anyways, although I hope he will. Edgar was landing leg kicks at will in both Aldo fights, which was his best answer for Aldo's pivot, but then he just stopped and went looking for Aldo's head.

I'm hoping he attacks Max's legs and body instead of head hunts.

Do you think max is the best?
i think Max is the best.

but when Bendo & Aldo were each the best, Edgar took them to what most would consider a virtual tie - a true toss up. fans still debate who 'should have won' three of those four fights.

if he pushes Max to a close decision, but this time gets a bit of luck with the judges.....

Frankie isn't likely to Target the legs anyways, although I hope he will. Edgar was landing leg kicks at will in both Aldo fights, which was his best answer for Aldo's pivot, but then he just stopped and went looking for Aldo's head.

I'm hoping he attacks Max's legs and body instead of head hunts.

Frankie needs to mix it up here, if not he's going to get finished.

The difference - outside of Frankie's conditioning - will be the threat of takedown.

Part of Max's strength is his ability to push the pace and wear guys down; Frankie is never gonna wear down.

I see Max winning a close decision but would not be surprised if Frankie pulls this off.

i think Max is the best.

but when Bendo & Aldo were each the best, Edgar took them to what most would consider a virtual tie - a true toss up. fans still debate who 'should have won' three of those four fights.

if he pushes Max to a close decision, but this time gets a bit of luck with the judges.....

I don't think anyone debates those Aldo fights outside of a small minority.

i think Max is the best.

I'm not convinced Max is the best yet, but logically he probably should be the favorite against Frankie. The size difference and Frankie's age are factors here. Based on skills alone I think frankie can get it done, but..... we'll find out.

Last edited:
Frankie needs to mix it up here, if not he's going to get finished.

Oh, absolutely. I'm just thinking about his best chance of earning any respect on the feet, and I think it would be by focusing a lot on the legs and body....so mixing it up in the striking department as well. Max stands heavy on his lead leg and leans over to probe his head out as bait, somewhat similar to Swanson or even Conor with the pull counter-- The best way to combat that is by attacking the legs and the body--mix head shots at the end of combos.

I'm not convinced Max is the best yet, but logically he probably should be the favorite against Frankie. The size difference and Frankie's age are factors here, based on skills alone I think frankie can get it done, but..... we'll find out.

i agree with you - with the rules as they are (important distinction).

i think Max has the capacity to hurt Edgar (or anyone else) very, very badly. the potential of Edgar hurting Max very, very badly is much smaller.

however, i do think Edgar could eke out 3 rounds.

does that make Edgar a 'better fighter'? according to NSAC rules, it certainly makes him the winner of that competition ;)

i think the chance of Edgar eking out 3 rounds is...reasonable. less than even odds, but far from a long shot.

TLDR: another meaningless, random rant by SFF.

i agree with you - with the rules as they are (important distinction).

i think Max has the capacity to hurt Edgar (or anyone else) very, very badly. the potential of Edgar hurting Max very, very badly is much smaller.

however, i do think Edgar could eke out 3 rounds.

does that make Edgar a 'better fighter'? according to NSAC rules, it certainly makes him the winner of that competition ;)

i think the chance of Edgar eking out 3 rounds is...reasonable. less than even odds, but far from a long shot.

I kind of agree with you, but at the same time I think that Edgar has the best GNP below 155lbs. I assure you that if max takes the type of beating that Penn, Swanson and Yair took on the ground, then he will be hurting

I agree that it's far more likely for Max to hurt Frankie, though.

McGregor, of all people, took Max down four times. Bermudez and Fili also took him down. It seems Max has addressed this hole in his game though, as he hasn't been taken down in 9 fights since 2014 against guys like Lamas, Olivera, and Stephens.

While I feel that Frankie is probably the best MMA wrestler that Max has ever faced, at least statistically, (feel free to disagree), I wouldn't be surprised if Max stuffed him every time. But as has already been said, the threat of the takedown will be Frankie's best weapon to keep Max guessing.

A lot of this is true, but here's food for thought: when is the last time he fought an elite pressure fighter? Max has been dictating the pace in all of his fights lately, but he hasn't been facing pressure fighters.

Also, Edgar is the best takedown artist Max will have ever faced. Max's tdd has improved, but if he tries to get aggressive like he always does and jump in the pocket, that can be timed.
I hear you. For me, it totally depends how likely Edgar is to impose his will. If he's able to find consistent success, he'll definitely keep the pressure up. However, that pressure has often relied on Edgar being the guy with a bigger gas tank. Those two, combined, usually dictate the outcome of his fights, and in many cases, I absolutely agree, he can pull it off. Looking at Aldo, he doesn't have the deepest gas tank at 145, but he was able to go 10 rounds with Edgar, largely because he didn't succumb to any real pressure. They were slower, technical fights where Edgar couldn't dictate the pace.

Enter Holloway. For me, the difference in this particular encounter, is that Holloway has (arguably) less to be concerned about, than Aldo. He has shown an ability to maintain forward pressure, while staying just outside the firing range of many of his smaller opponents. Edgar has an excellent resume, overall, but those are the types of fights which tend to get away from him. He usually gets outpointed in the long-run, and Holloway is the type of guy to do just that, but with increasing frequency and flurries. Also, between the two, I'd say Holloway is much more eager to step on the gas, not in the form of grinding (as Edgar is), but with all intention to gain the stoppage. It looks very good on the judges cards.

I do agree with you on the timing of aggression thing. It happened a few times during the Lamas fight, and Holloway was forced to defend a TD that was already fairly deep on his hips. Edgar is a better TD artist, but I feel like he's going to rely on safe leg kicks and movement on the outside, while searching for any opportunities. If Holloway can limit those, it becomes a very defensive fight for Edgar, or worse (IMO).

Frankie has a real good chance due to the threat of his takedowns and the fact that he won't gas.

As good as Aldo is, all Holloway had to worry about was the striking of Aldo. If Holloway beats Edgar I can't see anyone beating him for a long time.

I hope they send him the Bellator after he gets smashed in 10 mins

Back