Eddie Hall Axle press world record 216kg

Powerlifting isn't exactly the most spectator friendly sport.

Powerlifting isn't exactly the most spectator friendly sport.
You're right. It isn't. So I feel like the production and story around it needs to be improved. Live Streams are boring as fuck.

Oh, so this 12K isn't from traveling around for seminars?
I'd be surprised if he even made much money doing seminars.

Sorry, I might not have been clear enough.

He said in an interview that he made $12k/month USD for being on the Russian national weightlifting team. Like that was his pay just for competing in weightlifting.

He said in an interview that he made $12k/month USD for being on the Russian national weightlifting team. Like that was his pay just for competing in weightlifting.

Still 12K a month isn't all that great when you have to factor in the cost of being a professional athlete. Its not bad but you'd need much more to live comfortably. Maybe not In Russia though.

And he was good and very popular. thin about the Colin Burns of the world.

You're right. It isn't. So I feel like the production and story around it needs to be improved. Live Streams are boring as fuck.

I don't think it's ever going to actually be the competition that generates the money. It will be through things such as youtube giving more exposure and sponsorship.

Still 12K a month isn't all that great when you have to factor in the cost of being a professional athlete. Its not bad but you'd need much more to live comfortably.

They would live at the training facility for stretches, from what I can gather.

What cost is there to being a weightlifter, even at the absolute highest level? Food, drugs, massage/recovery therapy? Most of that would probably be provided. Not like those guys were sourcing and paying for their own drugs. I'm guessing all recovery therapies were also free.

I'm not sure what the cost of living is in Russia, but $144,000 USD is probably pretty awesome.

Still 12K a month isn't all that great when you have to factor in the cost of being a professional athlete. Its not bad but you'd need much more to live comfortably. Maybe not In Russia though.

And he was good and very popular. thin about the Colin Burns of the world.

$144k would be plenty in most places.

Maybe you are needlessly being an obtuse tool.

You just don't seem to be picking up what I'm laying down.

You're incorrect and I'm explaining how and why. Now that makes me an obtuse tool?

Cool, man.

I can think of 3 former/current pro strongmen off the top of my head that are in TV shows.

Powerlifters... Hmmm... drawing a blank.

Klokov was on Russia's version of Dancing with the Stars.

Eddie has mentioned possibly moving into weightlifting after he's done with strongman.

So, since he's from the UK, go ahead and tell me what the UK pays its weightlifters.

Eddie has mentioned possibly moving into weightlifting after he's done with strongman.

So, since he's from the UK, go ahead and tell me what the UK pays its weightlifters.

I tried to find it, but I can't. Less than the Russians and Iranians would be a safe bet.

You really think a well-known guy with a background in a sport with blatant, incredible AAS abuse is going to transition into legit, national team level weightlifting, where he'd be receiving a government stipend/payment? I won't hold my breath for that one.

Again, sorry you're upset you were wrong earlier.

I tried to find it, but I can't. Less than the Russians and Iranians would be a safe bet.

You really think a well-known guy with a background in a sport with blatant, incredible AAS abuse is going to transition into legit, national team level weightlifting, where he'd be receiving a government stipend/payment? I won't hold my breath for that one.

Again, sorry you're upset you were wrong earlier.

I only mention it because Eddie mentioned going into weightlifting:

"As for my plan, I’m going to win World’s Strongest Man once, then retire instantly and move on to a new sport. I think Olympic weightlifting or bodybuilding would be next."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...-you-never-knew-about-worlds-strongest-man-c/

So you can let your breath out now. Who's upset about being wrong?

I guess you missed what I meant. I saw that article.

I'm saying, IMO, it's never going to happen, unless he means recreationally/for fun.

I see you want to move on from the powerlifting vs. strongman thing, though, so we can drop it.

I guess you missed what I meant. I saw that article.

I'm saying, IMO, it's never going to happen, unless he means recreationally/for fun.

I see you want to move on from the powerlifting vs. strongman thing, though, so we can drop it.

Maybe he'll go to Crossfit.

There's a video out there of Eddie pumping out a bench press set, six paused reps with 584, no spotters.

The guy could move into powerlifting any time he wanted and after a little training, make some serious waves. He's the real deal.

And the "Eddie: Strongman" documentary is very well done, definitely worth a watch. He seems like a great guy.

Although, I can't think of any reason he would. Strongman Money> Powerlifting Money.

"I can't say how Iv done at wsm but I can say I'm now retired from wsm!" - Eddie Hall

Although, I can't think of any reason he would. Strongman Money> Powerlifting Money.
We've done this debate... I think if you're winning, strongman money is better, but that losing strongman pay might not rival winning (record setting) powerlifting pay and endorsements. Either way, it's always fun to see Eddie do events. There's a video of him swimming, and he's great at that too!

edit -- found that swim video:

Last edited:
Back