Eddie Hall Axle press world record 216kg

Ok let's get this straight.

The best paying prize money in strongman is the Arnold, which Shaw won this year, making $72K. Last year Eddie competed, came in 9th (had an injury) and made $3000.

I know powerlifting pays for shit, but strongman isn't a path to riches either, especially if you're not winning WSM or the Arnold, of which Eddie has won neither.

Eddie has said that he'd like to win WSM once and then retire from strongman, moving into weightlifting or even bodybuilding. Powerlifting wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
way more sponsorship money because its televised.

way more sponsorship money because its televised.

Easy to blurt out some assumption. Show me figures. Eddie's documentary didn't show him exactly living like a king.

Neither sport will get you rich.
What you need to do is get moderately decent at either one or both, find a shtick and milk the hipster fan boys on the internet for all their parent's money.

Ok let's get this straight.

The best paying prize money in strongman is the Arnold, which Shaw won this year, making $72K. Last year Eddie competed, came in 9th (had an injury) and made $3000.

I know powerlifting pays for shit, but strongman isn't a path to riches either, especially if you're not winning WSM or the Arnold, of which Eddie has won neither.

Eddie has said that he'd like to win WSM once and then retire from strongman, moving into weightlifting or even bodybuilding. Powerlifting wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

You basically have your answer right there. How much do you think Eddie Hall made in prize money in 2016 with winning Brittain's Strongest Man, UKs Strongest Man, and 3rd at WSM? A shitload more than anyone is making in powerlifting because the prize money is basically non-existent. It's not great in strongman, but it sure beats powerlifting.

I'm trying to make changes to the way we watch PL. At Lift for Kids this year we're going to be broadcasting a live sports show. There will be play by play and colour, analyst desk, interviews and depending on how much I can get done, we'll be showcasing the owner of the fed, and hopefully a lifter or two with a cool story about community giving and shit.

I'm hoping to attract a few dollars in ad money too. If this works out others will like follow and you'll start to see better produced events online or on TV. Hopefully this provides more opportunity for athletes to start making some money!

You basically have your answer right there. How much do you think Eddie Hall made in prize money in 2016 with winning Brittain's Strongest Man, UKs Strongest Man, and 3rd at WSM? A shitload more than anyone is making in powerlifting because the prize money is basically non-existent. It's not great in strongman, but it sure beats powerlifting.
Either sport pays poorly, especially if you're not winning first place in the big shows (the Arnold and WSM), neither of which Eddie has won. It's going to be tough for him to get either prize money or the best sponsorships without those wins.

In powerlifting, Eddie arguably has a shot at some world records. Prize money is for shit again, but sponsorship money could roll in a bit better for him.

I like Eddie and I'd like to see him succeed financially.

I'm trying to make changes to the way we watch PL. At Lift for Kids this year we're going to be broadcasting a live sports show. There will be play by play and colour, analyst desk, interviews and depending on how much I can get done, we'll be showcasing the owner of the fed, and hopefully a lifter or two with a cool story about community giving and shit.

I'm hoping to attract a few dollars in ad money too. If this works out others will like follow and you'll start to see better produced events online or on TV. Hopefully this provides more opportunity for athletes to start making some money!
How are you guys setting up and doing the live stream?

How are you guys setting up and doing the live stream?
This is the shit I don't know. I have a friend who owns a television production company. WHim and I are putting a team together. I got an email from some lady in NY who works for a Professional Wrestling broadcast, so she's going to lend a hand where she can, and I have another contact through a patient of mine who was a Chorus TV Executive... Anyway, I have peeps!

In powerlifting, Eddie arguably has a shot at some world records. Prize money is for shit again, but sponsorship money could roll in a bit better for him.

Lolwut? Absolutely 100% not.

When was the last time you saw a documentary about a powerlifter on Netflix?

Aside from the ESPN2 broadcast of the 2000 Mountaineer Cup, when was the last time powerlifting was aired on TV?

From what I can tell right now, the top powerlifters are getting some supplements, lifting equipment, and maybe some meet travel costs.

Last edited:
Lolwut? Absolutely 100% not.

When was the last time you saw a documentary about a powerlifter on Netflix?

Aside from the ESPN2 broadcast of the 2000 Mountaineer Cup, when was the last time pwoerlifting was aired on TV?

From what I can tell right now, the top powerlifters are getting some supplements, lifting equipment, and maybe some meet travel costs.

MetRx is sponsoring strongman, Animal is sponsoring PL. Inzer is sponsoring PL, Ironmind is sponsoring strongman. I don't know what money is out there.

I can tell you this: Eddie made $3,000 for his placement in the top-paying strongman contest last year. I made a larger Christmas bonus than that.

I don't know what UK strongest man (the one that Eddie's actually won) pays, but I bet it ain't much. Good thing he isn't a highland games athlete or a weightlifter, I don't think those pay well either. You're arguing with me over whether he makes as much as a mailman or as much as an apprentice plumber. Either way, it isn't on the high end for "professional athlete" salaries.

Especially when he's not winning the big shows in strongman. He's not.

If he's never going to place better than 3rd in the Arnold/WSM but could break world records in powerlifting, yes I contend that he could make better sponsorship money in powerlifting.

Eddie is going to need to get into acting or something if he wants any money.

Jim's right. PLers get nothing from these companies. These companies can barely keep themselves afloat let alone pay some mediocre athlete who no one cares about dollars.

If he's never going to place better than 3rd in the Arnold/WSM but could break world records in powerlifting, yes I contend that he could make better sponsorship money in powerlifting.

And, again, I'm absolutely disagreeing with you. There's just far more exposure for the sport of strongman than there is powerlifting, even if you're not consistently winning competitions.

Have you never read anything about what these guys get from companies like Universal Nutrition/Animal? It's not much. At all. Return on investment, etc.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, the above quoted is just...wrong.

I can tell you this: Eddie made $3,000 for his placement in the top-paying strongman contest last year. I made a larger Christmas bonus than that.

Fantastic. Give me a list of powerlifters that have made $3,000 prize money from one meet. I think Ed Coan received $10,000 for winning the meet I mentioned earlier. You'll occasionally get a big meet, like the upcoming U.S. Open giving out big prize money, but they never last. Why? The money has to come from somewhere, and powerlfiting as a sport just can't support/financially justify it.

Last edited:
Good thing he isn't a highland games athlete or a weightlifter, I don't think those pay well either.

Yeah, guys like Klokov on the Russian national team only make $12,000 USD per month. (Straight from his mouth)

Check Reza's Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossein_Rezazadeh

Even after the positive tests, take a look at what Ilya Ilyin is up to in his home country.

Andrei Aramnau. The list goes on and on.

Maybe you just don't follow strength sports as closely as you think you do.

People into PLing are generally cheap bastards too.
When I go to meets, people are always trying to get out of paying the $10 ticket to watch. Its a tough gig. People are figuring it out though. PLmeets are a better fund raiser than money maker. This hurts me though since everyone and their uncle are now trying to do charity meets.

Yeah, guys like Klokov on the Russian national team only make $12,000 USD per month. (Straight from his mouth)

Check Reza's Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossein_Rezazadeh

The thing with Klokov is that he's fucking hot, and science experimental looking. This sells really well to the CF population, who spend tons of their parents money on stupid shit, so he's found his shtick.

People into PLing are generally cheap bastards too.
When I go to meets, people are always trying to get out of paying the $10 ticket to watch. Its a tough gig. People are figuring it out though. PLmeets are a better fund raiser than money maker. This hurts me though since everyone and their uncle are now trying to do charity meets.

Yeah, people want to see amazing meets and more prize money for the athletes, but then bitch about having to pay $10 for a fucking live stream lol.

The thing with Klokov is that he's fucking hot, and science experimental looking. This sells really well to the CF population, who spend tons of their parents money on stupid shit, so he's found his shtick.

He still used to make $12k/month just to weightlift before all that, though.

Yeah, people want to see amazing meets and more prize money for the athletes, but then bitch about having to pay $10 for a fucking live stream lol.
That's fucking retarded.
I'd rather put a top quality show that people will want to watch, and get the money through ads, and sponsors. I don't charge cover at Lift for Kids.

He still used to make $12k/month just to weightlift before all that, though.
Oh, so this 12K isn't from traveling around for seminars?
I'd be surprised if he even made much money doing seminars.

Back