Eddie Cummins and dds break out details revealed

Just when you thought Gordon couldn't be any less likeable...

Getting out, having a social life and some life off the mats won't negatively effect his goal(assuming it is to be a top grappler) but will help him overall.

What is Gordon supposed to do "off the mats"?

Eddie Cummings training at unity?
Do those guys even train with heel hooks?
Pretty sure their a IBJJF focused team.
Be interesting to see how eddies top game looks under Murilo tho

Like most people, I would imagine there were a number of factors that would go into his decision.

The fact that unity bills itself as more of an 'open doors' gym is something that's attractive to drifters, and he essentially found himself as a high profile drifter after a very public falling out.

Certainly he'd look for a place that would benefit his training too. I don't think there's any shop out there right now with the same number and same quality of leglock training partners as Renzo's (unless he wanted to move to Australia), but a place with very strong guard passers like Murilo Santana's would also challenge the development of his game. The Miyao's more classic style footsie game (and isn't that a great irony, to call a berimbolo based game 'classic') would have some overlap as well. I don't doubt he'll be looking to develop partners for leglock duels 'organically' as well. Of course the unity folks would also be benefiting from the association, and landing him for their gym is something of a coup even.

Marcelo's place might have also been a possibility, but RGA and MGA have a fairly close relationship so it probably would have been weird.

Last edited:
I like how no-one here is putting no fault on the head coach Danaher..in controlling his team dynamic. SMH.
Agreed -- Marcelo got rid of that toxic behaviour (for other reasons from what I've read as well) really fast.

John seems like . . . Irvin 2.0

he has no reason to have a life outside the mats so far... hell probably turn to mma sooner or later, so he will have to spend even more time in the gym....

Finding ways around USADA.

I'm kidding . . . sorta.

Agreed -- Marcelo got rid of that toxic behaviour (for other reasons from what I've read as well) really fast.

John seems like . . . Irvin 2.0

Problem Danaher relies on these guys to promote his things. Marcelo was able to prove things himself and not just talk about philosophy.

It not surprising to see the most loyalty from the team champion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Danaher saw the most potential in Gordon and therefore spent the most time working with Gordon so Gordon is particularly loyal.

What is Gordon supposed to do "off the mats"?
If Gordon was my younger brother or son, i'd suggest he take classes at the local community college or get a part time job(non grappling related and preferably sales). Regularly having time off the mats and around more diverse groups of people will really help him have a wider perspective of life and able to appreciate other points of view.

If Gordon was my younger brother or son, i'd suggest he take classes at the local community college or get a part time job(non grappling related and preferably sales). Regularly having time off the mats and around more diverse groups of people will really help him have a wider perspective of life and able to appreciate other points of view.

he's a prodigal professional athlete who hasn't even entered his prime yet. i'm sure john danaher looks at gordon and sees an all-time great BJJ player, and a possible UFC champion some day as well (and he's probably sat down with gordon many times and planned this out with him). just because it's BJJ we don't think of him the way we think of other blue chip pro athletes, but clearly that's his path.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are forgetting that Gordon Ryan is essentially a child.

I mean he’s 23 but his emotional response is about what you’d get from a passionate person his age.

Hes basically acting like someone who’s been hurt for the first time. I’m confident he’ll Be different Over time. Especially when he starts to outgrow this team.

Young people always think their love for something will never change. :p

he's a prodigal professional athlete who hasn't even entered his prime yet. i'm sure john danaher looks at gordon and sees an all-time great BJJ player, and a possible UFC champion some day as well (and he's probably sat down with gordon many times and planned this out with him). just because it's BJJ we don't think of him the way we think of other blue chip pro athletes, but clearly that's his path.
The difference is that other sports have an off season. I've been guilty of this myself. Spending so much time physically and mentally engulfed in martial arts that other areas of my life suffer, which in turn made my progress in martial arts suffer.

yup that made me hat
Just when you thought Gordon couldn't be any less likeable...
e him a kid who lives with his mom at 22 and talks like this he wants to be a grown man so bad by all the tattoos hair ect but look at him just 2 years ago with a shaved head he looked 15

but u cant takeaway his skill even though he juices hes got great skills at every part of the game

I dunno, hard to take life advice from dude who lives with mom, but his bjj is sick and out of this world. Hes a pro athlete basically and I really could give two flying fucks about his situation with his teammates. I have a good crew at my school and that's all that matters. Its like some reality tv shit , this whole DDS drama. Danaher let this shit get to this level and should bear responsibility. Jocko says that peeps need extreme ownership and take responsibility ESPECIALLY if youre the team leader. Problem with the team? A leader says its his fault. Internal bickering? Again, leader owns up to their responsibility. Marcelo admitted that there were certain things he let get out of control in his academy and vowed to never let happen again. Tthats called being a man and owning up to mistakes. Danaher? Havent heard a peep during all this high school drama shit and that's fucking bullshit imo.

I dunno, hard to take life advice from dude who lives with mom, but his bjj is sick and out of this world.
Does Gordon live with his jacked girlfriend? He seems to fare a lot better than most dudes I met a BJJ who suck at BJJ, have some boring job and a fat/ugly girlfriend/wife. I wouldn't take life advice from Gordon because I don't think it's transferable and he keeps a weird heel persona online anyway.

The difference is that other sports have an off season. I've been guilty of this myself. Spending so much time physically and mentally engulfed in martial arts that other areas of my life suffer, which in turn made my progress in martial arts suffer.

he's a (uniquely talented) pro athlete in the right place at the right time with the right coaches. he gets to travel the world, meet all kinds of interesting people, and while he's not making millions i bet he's doing okay for a 23 year-old living in NYC. what more should he do with his time?

he's a (uniquely talented) pro athlete in the right place at the right time with the right coaches. he gets to travel the world, meet all kinds of interesting people, and while he's not making millions i bet he's doing okay for a 23 year-old living in NYC. what more should he do with his time?
Something beside Jiu-Jitsu 24/7

Back