Eddie Cummings vs Canuto & Geo Martinez vs Nicky Ryan set for KASAI 2 on April 14th

mataleaos

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
More matches to come I think. But these have both been announced.

Eddie/Canuto is 10 mins sub-only. 5 minute overtime with points. No advantages. Kasai will also award points for submission attempts and won’t deduct points if you go from top to bottom on a sub attempt and lose the sub.

Geo/Nicky is 20 mins sub-only with a ref decision if no sub.

Last edited:
More matches to come I think. But these have both been announced.

Eddie/Canuto is 10 mins sub-only. 5 minute overtime with points. No advantages. Kasai will also award points for submission attempts and won’t deduct points if you go from top to bottom on a sub attempt and lose the sub.

Geo/Nicky is 20 mins sub-only with a ref decision if no sub.

i think if geo competed more often, and under more diverse rulesets, then he wouldn't be cornered into taking these challenges against second-tier guys from other teams. He simply doesn't have the accomplishments to sit back and wait for bigger names to come to EBI to face him.

i think if geo competed more often, and under more diverse rulesets, then he wouldn't be cornered into taking these challenges against second-tier guys from other teams. He simply doesn't have the accomplishments to sit back and wait for bigger names to come to EBI to face him.

Geo's in sort of an odd spot - it doesn't make sense for him to do the lower tier of sub-only events, but there's only an EBI with his weight class every 9 months or so? And ADCC only comes around every two years. It doesn't make sense for him to do lower-tier sub only tournaments, or like, NAGAs. His only choices are superfights (F2W?) and entering IBJJF events.

I got canuto. Don't care for the other two.

Geo's in sort of an odd spot - it doesn't make sense for him to do the lower tier of sub-only events, but there's only an EBI with his weight class every 9 months or so? And ADCC only comes around every two years. It doesn't make sense for him to do lower-tier sub only tournaments, or like, NAGAs. His only choices are superfights (F2W?) and entering IBJJF events.

Basically what everyone is doing who’s not into ibjjf... dds boys seem to be doing quite well without ibjjf...

Basically what everyone is doing who’s not into ibjjf... dds boys seem to be doing quite well without ibjjf...

Well, I think we've seen this with Cummings too, once you get to a high level in nogi sub-only, you have very limited options to compete.

Honestly I think a lot of the people that don't like them simply don't like them because they found a way to make money in a sport that doesn't pay very much. And they found a way to do it without having to do what almost everyone before them had to do (win IBJJF Worlds or ADCC and sell DVDs, do seminars, and open a school).

They were making like twice the money at each EBI than they would've made if they won their weight classes at ADCC.

I definitely respect their hustle and creativity for making a lane for themselves. It's crazy how Eddie Bravo made EBI and they basically took it over. Garry Tonon barely got into EBI 1 too. Eddie Bravo needed a last minute guy and Scotty Nelson at OTM got him in the show. Eddie apparently wasn't sold on him but Scotty pushed hard for it.

I say this past tense because it seems like the big 3 are done with EBI. Tonon is in MMA. Gordon signed with ACB. Cummings is doing other things. I wonder if the next crop of Renzo affiliated guys will keep the same level of success at EBI.

Well, I think we've seen this with Cummings too, once you get to a high level in nogi sub-only, you have very limited options to compete.
Yeah. his is true.

But on one hand more and more promotions are starting up. They have limited options to compete but they do have more than they would have had even just a few years ago.

You've got Polaris, SUG, F2W, Kasai, Grappling Indsutries...all up and coming orgs willing to pay for superfights.

Nicky got shit-whipped by Kennedy Maciel at purple. Why's he fighting high level black belts now?

Hope Geo's getting paid well for this. He's basically been backed into a corner and taken a match where he really doesn't have anything to gain by winning

What makes you bet on canuto?

He is extremely technical and aggressive. Eddie only way to beat him is by heel hook. Canuto can beat him in most other areas in bjj.

He is extremely technical and aggressive. Eddie only way to beat him is by heel hook. Canuto can beat him in most other areas in bjj.

Heel hook guard is the most powerful guard tho.

I mean, thats kinda like saying, 'his only way to win is to punch him', when describing a boxing fight.

Is Canuto gona use mind control rays to make Eddie, not want play his situp game? Pretty much all roads lead too rome.

I've seen footage of Canuto and he looks like a tough kid, but i have a hard time seeing how one could feel very confident betting against an established guy like Cummings with a track record of zipping people up in bodybags without some kind of preexisting bias coming in.

Last edited:
Heel hook guard is the most powerful guard tho.

I mean, thats kinda like saying, 'his only way to win is to punch him', when describing a boxing fight.

Is Canuto gona use mind control rays to make Eddie, not want play his situp game? Pretty much all roads lead too rome.

I've seen footage of Canuto and he looks like a tough kid, but i have a hard time seeing how one could feel very confident betting against an established guy like Cummings with a track record of zipping people up in bodybags without some kind of preexisting bias coming in.

Should be a fun match. I'm still sticking with the young gun.

He's basically been backed into a corner and taken a match where he really doesn't have anything to gain by winning

Tapping a rising star while you still can is always good.
Imagine tapping a young Rafa vs being on a Rickson Cup highlight.

I'm not betting the house on Canuto, but I don't think its crazy that he'd win. Cummings is comming off an injury and hasn't competed for a while. On top of that Canuto is more athletic and explosive. He's also beaten Gary Tonen recently. If his leg defense was that bad Tonen would have exposed him. Cummings is very methodical and Canuto's explosive style could play right into his hands. On top of that the rules favor Cummings. If this match had points I think Canuto would be a safe bet, but IMO Canuto's strong points are his wrestling and passing, which won't matter here. This should be a good match.

I'm not betting the house on Canuto, but I don't think its crazy that he'd win. Cummings is comming off an injury and hasn't competed for a while. On top of that Canuto is more athletic and explosive. He's also beaten Gary Tonen recently. If his leg defense was that bad Tonen would have exposed him. Cummings is very methodical and Canuto's explosive style could play right into his hands. On top of that the rules favor Cummings. If this match had points I think Canuto would be a safe bet, but IMO Canuto's strong points are his wrestling and passing, which won't matter here. This should be a good match.

FWIW Cummings did compete a couple of months ago and rear naked choked Jacob Sandoval who is a sick Cobrinha black belt. Not many people saw the match though. Cummings looked sharp.

The thing that is getting overlooked on Cummings' game here is his guard. Without the gi he has a world class guard in terms of pass prevention and his sweeping game is very underrated. Matt Kaplan says Eddie's guard gets passed like once or twice a year in the gym. I don't know if anyone saw the match with Cummings vs Masher 'Munch' Khera but Khera is a very good passer and said after that he was stunned at how good Eddie's guard retention is. I could maybe see Canuto passing with a no handed cartwheel or something like he did on Khera but that's about it.

I just don't see a path to victory against Cummings for points. Subbing Eddie would mean leg locking him or diving on some kind of head and arm or maybe a kimura. In the points period you'd have to probably time a quick takedown during his guard pull since passing is not realistic.

Canuto is a fucking beast though and one of my favorite up and comers. Excited for this match and I think it'll be good

Back