Eddie Cummings Digitsu project now avalable for < 20 USD

For a really novice heel hooker, what order of instructionals do you guys suggest?

For a really novice heel hooker, what order of instructionals do you guys suggest?
Craig Jones to develop an effective heel hook game that works. Then Cummings for troubleshooting finishes, defense, and counter offense. If you’re more into theory and a complete understanding of the game then check out Danaher or Rob’s sets.

This going to be much easier to go through than jhons...

The leg knot, that’s a string position if you can get to it, never understood why isn’t high level guys going for it...

I don't really get why everybody is saying that Danaher's DVD is unbearable to listen to

I was a real novice when it comes to leg locks so I kind of needed all the explanations he was giving. I also loved the structure of the DVD, with the clear separation about entering, putting the guy to the hip, getting a good control and then ''breaking''. Also the clear separation between straight, cross and reverse position.

Maybe if you already know a bunch about the subject and the fact that he really likes to rename everything and that he doesn't use all the terminology known (saddle, 411, the knot...) it can become annoying, but the techniques are very legit all the same.

I don't really get why everybody is saying that Danaher's DVD is unbearable to listen to

I was a real novice when it comes to leg locks so I kind of needed all the explanations he was giving. I also loved the structure of the DVD, with the clear separation about entering, putting the guy to the hip, getting a good control and then ''breaking''. Also the clear separation between straight, cross and reverse position.

Maybe if you already know a bunch about the subject and the fact that he really likes to rename everything and that he doesn't use all the terminology known (saddle, 411, the knot...) it can become annoying, but the techniques are very legit all the same.
If you're a novice then it probably was easier for you. I think the issue with a lot of folks that had been into heel hooking for a while is they were doing lots of match study online, watching breakdowns, getting instructionals from Craig Jones and Rob Biernacki, and going to seminars from the DDS guys if possible. So I think Danaher's style is very good for an in-person classroom environment or someone that is just getting started. Like, if someone could start over and learn leg locks all over again from the beginning I think his set is very good for that.

This going to be much easier to go through than jhons...

The leg knot, that’s a string position if you can get to it, never understood why isn’t high level guys going for it...

I don't think it's a bad position but I do think the 411 and outside ashi are objectively stronger. And even at the high levels right now the outside heel hook is getting difficult to finish. I think there were less than 5 heel hooks at ADCC and they were all inside heel hooks. And Gordon Ryan had 2 of them. They aren't a magic bullet anymore and defense against the positions is really good. I'd consider myself a solid purple belt in heel hooks and I usually feel pretty calm and safe in the leg knot. I'm not saying it's an eay position to get out of but my preffered order of closed circuit leg positions to have to defend would be leg knot, then the outside ash and the 50/50 are basically tied, and then the 411.

If you're a novice then it probably was easier for you. I think the issue with a lot of folks that had been into heel hooking for a while is they were doing lots of match study online, watching breakdowns, getting instructionals from Craig Jones and Rob Biernacki, and going to seminars from the DDS guys if possible. So I think Danaher's style is very good for an in-person classroom environment or someone that is just getting started. Like, if someone could start over and learn leg locks all over again from the beginning I think his set is very good for that.

Craig Jones as some stuff on the grapplers guide and I was trying to watch and understand his stuff. But there was so many things that I didn't understand that it was kind of useless to watch them.

After that 9 hour video marathon with Danaher and some drilling at the gym on cross ashi entries I rewatched the Craig Jones content on the subject and I understood a lot more stuff about is unique entry style and half butterfly X guard strategy. Now I can use a lot more of the little tweaks that guys like Jones can bring out.

Craig Jones as some stuff on the grapplers guide and I was trying to watch and understand his stuff. But there was so many things that I didn't understand that it was kind of useless to watch them.

After that 9 hour video marathon with Danaher and some drilling at the gym on cross ashi entries I rewatched the Craig Jones content on the subject and I understood a lot more stuff about is unique entry style and half butterfly X guard strategy. Now I can use a lot more of the little tweaks that guys like Jones can bring out.
Also for what it's worth the Grappler's Guide stuff is not in the right order.

With Craig Jones if anyone is interested in his sets I would just tell you that his goal is getting to the saddle/411 for the inside heel hook and he isn't very concerned with outside heel hooks at all for the most part. So he's not the best place to look for info on outside ashi, or outside heel hooks generally. His leg game is majority based around getting to the 411 and it's also unique in that he doesn't bother trying to stay on a leg when they defend. He switches back and forth between legs which involves a lot of timing and it has a learning curve to it.

Good points.

Craig Jones to develop an effective heel hook game that works. Then Cummings for troubleshooting finishes, defense, and counter offense. If you’re more into theory and a complete understanding of the game then check out Danaher or Rob’s sets.
Thanks man.

craigs leg lock dvd is pretty advanced u really think a beginner should do it? he doesnt even expliain how the positions work he already assumes everyone knows all the new positions but goes into set ups to them

I don't think it's a bad position but I do think the 411 and outside ashi are objectively stronger. And even at the high levels right now the outside heel hook is getting difficult to finish. I think there were less than 5 heel hooks at ADCC and they were all inside heel hooks. And Gordon Ryan had 2 of them. They aren't a magic bullet anymore and defense against the positions is really good. I'd consider myself a solid purple belt in heel hooks and I usually feel pretty calm and safe in the leg knot. I'm not saying it's an eay position to get out of but my preffered order of closed circuit leg positions to have to defend would be leg knot, then the outside ash and the 50/50 are basically tied, and then the 411.

How do you get out of the leg knot? Once there, it’s quite hard to get out, you are trapped basically, do you have a vid on the escape?

Edit: just went to YouTube, found a couple... one thing I do different is the knot... I don’t go ankle over ankle, i triangle my outside leg over my foot, let’s say in a regular knot, my right ankle (which will be the ankle outside) will go under my left ankle... I do it slightly different... I do a triangle over my left foot. I find this position a stronger pin... my foot is more exposed though..

Last edited:
craigs leg lock dvd is pretty advanced u really think a beginner should do it? he doesnt even expliain how the positions work he already assumes everyone knows all the new positions but goes into set ups to them
I wouldn't advise them to a beginner. @JustTheTip may be a novice heel hooker (in his words) but he is not a novice grappler. He's had a lot of years training and I I think he knows enough about grappling and how to move where he'd be able to pick things up fine from that dvd. A couple of upper belts I train with got Craig's set and only Craig's set and have done a good job of building respectable heel hooks games off just working that and then brainstorming at open mat.

How do you get out of the leg knot? Once there, it’s quite hard to get out, you are trapped basically, do you have a vid on the escape?
Good question. I'm thinking now and I'll work through it at no gi this week. I think I just don't get my second leg trapped. They have to reap and thread over the close leg and under the far leg to really get the control they need to isolate the leg for the finish. Once that reaping leg comes over they're starting to turn your hips and I focus my grips immediately on their leg/s with c-clamp grips and keep my far leg that isn't being reaped as far away from their reaping leg as possible while turning out. As they reap they're turning your hips and you just have to do a back step pass motion with your free leg before they can thread under it.

I'll work it this week and post back with some thoughts. I'm trying to picture what I do in my head here.

Good question. I'm thinking now and I'll work through it at no gi this week. I think I just don't get my second leg trapped. They have to reap and thread over the close leg and under the far leg to really get the control they need to isolate the leg for the finish. Once that reaping leg comes over they're starting to turn your hips and I focus my grips immediately on their leg/s with c-clamp grips and keep my far leg that isn't being reaped as far away from their reaping leg as possible while turning out. As they reap they're turning your hips and you just have to do a back step pass motion with your free leg before they can thread under it.

I'll work it this week and post back with some thoughts. I'm trying to picture what I do in my head here.

I’ll work some on my knot this week as well... see if I can shoot a vid or something

I'm really impressed with Eddie's teaching so far.
Very clear and to the point.

Really like the emphasis on specific concepts/cues within a position (keeping the knee internally rotated/pinky tendon in pec).

The only criticism so far is that I find it disorientating when they switch camera angles.

Ok. Just finished watching it.

I haven't really explored leg locks, so I can't compare this with other products but I thought it was great.

There's a really good counter to the knee heavy/leg drag style counter to the SLX/50-50.
I used to go to that a lot, but I don't think I will anymore.

I'm really impressed with Eddie's teaching so far.
Very clear and to the point.

Really like the emphasis on specific concepts/cues within a position (keeping the knee internally rotated/pinky tendon in pec).

The only criticism so far is that I find it disorientating when they switch camera angles.
Digitsu replied and said they won’t do that switch camera angle again. Good people over there.

Eddie has always been my favorite of the DDS so he’s getting my money. Can’t wait to start the set.

I want this set.

How does Digitsu work? Can I download it to an iPhone?

What’s odd is they have an app or you can just log in from their website (www.digitsu.com). I haven’t been able to log into my app for months because it says my password is incorrect. So I just use their website.

But to repeat an earlier poster, yes on the iPhone.

Ok. Just finished watching it.

I haven't really explored leg locks, so I can't compare this with other products but I thought it was great.

There's a really good counter to the knee heavy/leg drag style counter to the SLX/50-50.
I used to go to that a lot, but I don't think I will anymore.
That's what I'm most excited to try and why I've stayed away from outside ashi recently. It's not a big deal when people don't do this but I like how Eddie references past matches to explain why he makes certain adjustments. When showing that re-counter to the leg drag he mentions the Tanquinho matches and how it helped him refine and adjust the position. he shows what he used to do and why he changed it. The technique would be great either way but it's those extra things that make me appreciate learning from athletes that are also good teachers.

Definitely worth it. It's not a full blown break down on every intangible in attacking legs. It's a single seminar, maybe 30 mins of video if even.
Tbh I think you'll be way more likely to be able to watch and rewatch a single seminar as oppose to hours or minor details on multiple disks. Condescending it I think makes it the better value than the danaher dvd

Back