Eddie Bravo on Ari Bolden

I did not know Jorge had 12 schools. pretty big affiliation

I got a belt through GU. I tested in person.

If you tested in person, then no one will have a problem with your belt. Nobody is saying that online training is bad or that you can't learn from online training. The point of contention is online belt testing.

So no need to go on your little rant about being able to tap out the white belts at some Gracie Barra school.

I got a belt through GU. I tested in person. I went to GB countryside Il and GB Ballard Seattle and tapped all their white belts (strips and no stripes) on that same trip.

My belt is legit as far as I'm concerned. The point of the blue belt, according to Helio Gracie, is that you can defend yourself in the street. I can do that. I have done that.

But, despite being a novice, I have an opinion. Training martial arts is more than being able to kick someone's ass. It took me 2 years to prepare my test AND I was training at a real school. Hayashi's MMA in El Paso, TX. I've heard that in GB and other schools, 18 mos is par for blue. Maybe I'm wrong but I put in the time, sweat and effort. I earned it, I assure you.

I don't care if no one respects it or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, it's about mat time and honest dedication. Eddie Bravo says that and as a musician, I say that too. I don't care if you taught yourself (like Cro Cop did) or went to a 'real' school (like many of you probably had), what you've done, you've done and no one can take that from you.

I'm aware that had I been able to train at a traditional BJJ school, I might be better but my school didn't have that.

I was in the Army, got exposed to 'combatives' and as soon as GU was released, I signed up and I'm happy I did.

If I have to fight white belt at tournaments, so be it. But I will have more training time than most of the people at that level.

Let the disrespect commence.

Edit: And just to piss more people off, I'm gonna post my lineage in my sig. Haters beware!

...and the place you trained has judo and "no-gi submission" programs. I'm going to guess that "no-gi submission" is some sort of wrestling/bjj hybrid program. You didn't just train in your garage, with a few other people with no prior grappling experience. I, for one, fail to see your point. White belts get tapped all the time. Can you tap a blue from a gb gym?

I got a belt through GU. I tested in person. I went to GB countryside Il and GB Ballard Seattle and tapped all their white belts (strips and no stripes) on that same trip.

My belt is legit as far as I'm concerned. The point of the blue belt, according to Helio Gracie, is that you can defend yourself in the street. I can do that. I have done that.

But, despite being a novice, I have an opinion. Training martial arts is more than being able to kick someone's ass. It took me 2 years to prepare my test AND I was training at a real school. Hayashi's MMA in El Paso, TX. I've heard that in GB and other schools, 18 mos is par for blue. Maybe I'm wrong but I put in the time, sweat and effort. I earned it, I assure you.

I don't care if no one respects it or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, it's about mat time and honest dedication. Eddie Bravo says that and as a musician, I say that too. I don't care if you taught yourself (like Cro Cop did) or went to a 'real' school (like many of you probably had), what you've done, you've done and no one can take that from you.

I'm aware that had I been able to train at a traditional BJJ school, I might be better but my school didn't have that.

I was in the Army, got exposed to 'combatives' and as soon as GU was released, I signed up and I'm happy I did.

If I have to fight white belt at tournaments, so be it. But I will have more training time than most of the people at that level.

Edit: And just to piss more people off, I'm gonna post my lineage in my sig. Haters beware!

cool story bro.
(this is just a nice was to say who gives a shit)

so if you trained combatives in the army and training in an MMA school how can you attribute your blue belt success to the GU online curriculum?

anyone can tap white belts... even white belts...

a legit blue should be tapping other blues and surviving against / threatening purples

i tapped a taekwondo black belt out once.....

i should get a black belt in taekwondo!!!!

just sayin...

p.s. he was 5.

Like the good Lord intended.

I'm with this guy. I don't like the gi personally but I have nothing against people who do like the gi. I like no-gi grappling.

Like the good Lord intended.

God bless grapplers.

You know whom I feel sorry for?

I feel sorry for the petty, jealous bitter people always trying to bring others down. Let me remind the cyber plebs that the belt system never existed previously until Kawashi introduced it for European egos. People are so concerned about credentials.... Was Carlos or Helio Gracie a true BJJ black belt? Did they promote the sport better than Ari Boden or was it truly Carlson who introduced it to the masses outside of the inner family circle?

Certainly, Ari Boden isn't going to win the Mundials but he is promoting the sport and spirit of BJJ better than most others with higher credentials. What about celebrity UFC gradings? What are the standardised international BJJ belt grading credentials? There are none unlike Judo because it is not standardised or centralised.

Eddie Bravo has graded him to purple belt. Move on and get a life and let Ari do what he does. And you do nothing like you do.

Just thought I’d post this. Royce Gracie came and gave a seminar at our school recently. He was wearing a blue belt. This was his reason why he will only wear one from now on.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q9nDX_0vMuY&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q9nDX_0vMuY&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

I feel sorry for the petty, jealous bitter people always trying to bring others down. Let me remind the cyber plebs that the belt system never existed previously until Kawashi introduced it for European egos. People are so concerned about credentials.... Was Carlos or Helio Gracie a true BJJ black belt? Did they promote the sport better than Ari Boden or was it truly Carlson who introduced it to the masses outside of the inner family circle?

Certainly, Ari Boden isn't going to win the Mundials but he is promoting the sport and spirit of BJJ better than most others with higher credentials. What about celebrity UFC gradings? What are the standardised international BJJ belt grading credentials? There are none unlike Judo because it is not standardised or centralised.

Eddie Bravo has graded him to purple belt. Move on and get a life and let Ari do what he does. And you do nothing like you do.
Ari is a fraud who tried to pass himself off as a black belt because he didn't have the humility to wear a white belt, even his JJJ black belt is fake but he still wears it

Ari isnt promoting the sport anymore than a fake doctor making youtube videos about treating disease is promoting health.

His youtube channel is about money and ego. He seems to be training steadily now, so perhaps he'll actually earn the admiration you're willing to give him, but it remains to be seen. I hope he actually DOES develop the understanding he should have to be considered an authority of any kind, because he'll then be able to look back at everything he taught and feel a sense of regret for putting it out there before he was ready.

I stay out of all this Ari/Quick/10th planet drama most of the time mainly because I just don't care, but that explanation left me wondering something. Did Eddie Bravo really hand out his first two affiliations to completely unverified, unrecognized, fake-belted, and non-competitive guys he had only met briefly over the internet/telephone? Doesn't that seem a little irresponsible? Isn't that a pretty poor way to start expanding your business, and doesn't that pose some obvious risk to the value and growth of your brand? I mean, what was he thinking, or was he just worried about whether the checks would clear?

This would make me worry about joining a 10th planet gym. Not sure what I'd get.

im amazed so many ppl care so deeply about some lying douchebag.

just ignore him and it would hurt him much more than getting this attention which is what he obv craves.

anyways, back to the madness.

im amazed so many ppl care so deeply about some lying douchebag.

just ignore him and it would hurt him much more than getting this attention which is what he obv craves.

anyways, back to the madness.

BJJ means a lot to some people. If you had someone say they've been doing your mother on the side, over and over, when it was clear they hadn't, yet people unfamiliar with the situation kept asking you about it, you'd likely get a bit annoyed.

Back