Ed Ruth vs Gracie - Countdown Episodes

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
Hearing Ruth talk about coming for everyone gets me so fired up because I have faith he can get it done.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Hearing Ruth talk about coming for everyone gets me so fired up because I have faith he can get it done.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Bellator protecting MVP. That guy is the most protected fighter of all time.
His side of the bracket is waaaay easier, especially with Daley, who I think is a scrub. I think all four guys on the other bracket beats MVP EASY like EASY. I can see MVP making it to the finals from the bracket he's in.

Ruth looking skinnier than I remember him being but his talk about becoming a complete mixed martial artist has me hyped too.

His side of the bracket is waaaay easier, especially with Daley, who I think is a scrub. I think all four guys on the other bracket beats MVP EASY like EASY. I can see MVP making it to the finals from the bracket he's in.

I'd take MVP over Gracie (on the other side) and have him beating Daley. I would have him losing to the other 6 opponents in the bracket.

Daley is the best pick to get MVP to the second round. I can't picture him in the finals though, Lima will work him over.

Ruth looking skinnier than I remember him being but his talk about becoming a complete mixed martial artist has me hyped too.

Agree, he has lost a lot of size, he looks healthy for sure, but almost would have preferred him carry a bit more of his muscle and fight at 185. The "money fights" of Bellator are at 170 though so I get it. Ruth's confidence and talk of becoming a complete fighter is enough to get me to jump on him for this weekend at -350. I do have concerns over him not training his wrestling enough though, hopefully he doesn't forever rest on the thought that he doesn't need to train it because he has forgot more about it than his opponents know.

Daley isn't a scrub. Especially against other standup fighters. Against wrestlers/grapplers he is mediocre, but he has dynamite in his hands and can put most anyone down.

MVP is the more talented striker, but a win against Daley isn't a guarantee. That's an interesting fight, and should be the toughest of MVP's career.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Was about to start a thread to see who's picking who.

So who you choosing?

Love their countdown videos. So well put together. Picking Ed, but very excited for this one.

Agree, he has lost a lot of size, he looks healthy for sure, but almost would have preferred him carry a bit more of his muscle and fight at 185. The "money fights" of Bellator are at 170 though so I get it. Ruth's confidence and talk of becoming a complete fighter is enough to get me to jump on him for this weekend at -350. I do have concerns over him not training his wrestling enough though, hopefully he doesn't forever rest on the thought that he doesn't need to train it because he has forgot more about it than his opponents know.
Ruth was a pretty small 86-89 kilo guy even was a wrestler. H was never really a power guy as you probably know. Just kind of a wrestling savant.

I’m absolutely loving these countdown shows Bellator is doing now! They are getting close to UFC level with the actual production of their fight week shows and their actual live product on DAZN.

This Ruth/Gracie series in particular had gotten me way more interested in the fight. I already liked it to begin with, but it’s aweome seeing some of the behind the scenes stuff with these guys. Ruth is a freak athlete. I like him, but I don’t know if he’s at Niemans level yet. I think even with Ruth’s insane wrestling and recent focus on jiu jitsu, it still might not be enough to win the grappling battle. Good news for Ruth is he is definitely better on the feet. Should be a great fight on a great card!

Ruth is looking small compared to Neiman Gracie. Good value on Gracie at +310.

I’m absolutely loving these countdown shows Bellator is doing now! They are getting close to UFC level with the actual production of their fight week shows and their actual live product on DAZN.

This Ruth/Gracie series in particular had gotten me way more interested in the fight. I already liked it to begin with, but it’s aweome seeing some of the behind the scenes stuff with these guys. Ruth is a freak athlete. I like him, but I don’t know if he’s at Niemans level yet. I think even with Ruth’s insane wrestling and recent focus on jiu jitsu, it still might not be enough to win the grappling battle. Good news for Ruth is he is definitely better on the feet. Should be a great fight on a great card!
Ive said this many times but I'll say it again. Just about every big shot wrestling prospect has to experience that first nasty, shocking, submission loss as they ascend through the ranks. Wrestlers are so used to being able to use their insane strength and physicality to stay out of trouble in MMA (and to a lesser extent, grappling) grappling exchanges. Experiencing the 1st submission helps most of them grow the rest of the way.

Ive said this many times but I'll say it again. Just about every big shot wrestling prospect has to experience that first nasty, shocking, submission loss as they ascend through the ranks. Wrestlers are so used to being able to use their insane strength and physicality to stay out of trouble in MMA (and to a lesser extent, grappling) grappling exchanges. Experiencing the 1st submission helps most of them grow the rest of the way.

Well in a sense he has already faced that. He was doing some NAGA grappling tournaments and was subbed once. Regardless, if he fights like his other fights, I expect Ruth to win and keep it standing. He has yet to fight like a wrestler.

Well in a sense he has already faced that. He was doing some NAGA grappling tournaments and was subbed once. Regardless, if he fights like his other fights, I expect Ruth to win and keep it standing. He has yet to fight like a wrestler.
I wasn't aware of that. I think the type of submission loss I am referring to is often more impactful when it occurs in MMA, but I believe smart fighters will get what they need from the lesson regardless of the arena. I remember it happened to Gregor Gilespie in a grappling tournament as well and it obviously served him well. Ruth seems to be a very smart, very aware, natural born fighter.

I wasn't aware of that. I think the type of submission loss I am referring to is often more impactful when it occurs in MMA, but I believe smart fighters will get what they need from the lesson regardless of the arena. I remember it happened to Gregor Gilespie in a grappling tournament as well and it obviously served him well. Ruth seems to be a very smart, very aware, natural born fighter.

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/3x-ncaa-champion-ed-ruth-puts-wrestling-class-pans/

I like Ed in this fight because I think he's got the necessary skills to keep it on the feet and win it there, but Neiman is a live dog. This is a well matched fight. I'm generally pretty high on Ed's potential, but his willingness to eat endless leg kicks recently was a tad concerning. I suppose he figured he was doing more damage with his hands than he was receiving from the kicks, but you'd like to see some kind of defense in a situation like that. Gracie has a chance to win this if he's crafty, but Ruth is probably going to beat him up pretty good.

Ruth absolutely has the potential to go all the way in the tournament, and I expect that he will. I’m going to go and say he wins this whole thing. Hell, I’ll say it now, Ruth raw potential and all could stroll over to the UFC and give Colby, Kamaru, and Askren the business right now he’s that good!

Bellator has some great prospects at a few weights but damn, they are loaded at 170. Davis and Storley could gut out wins over quality guys in the UFC too.I am so excited! Hate on haters...

Back