Easy fix for eye pokes.

TheWalrusNo9

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Accidental eye pokes happen, with open finger gloves its jut part of the game. That being said there are obviously fighters who take advantage of the current system. It isn't a coincidence that specific fighters have loads of eye pokes in their fights. They know they get a warning or two EVERY fight regardless of prior infractions in previous fights. There is an easy fix for this......

Keep tally of cumulative eye pokes that a fighter has done in ALL their fights.

Fighters who do it constantly can be put on zero tolerance list and be deducted a point whenever they poke an eye even if it's first poke of fight they are in.

Good idea
But like removing the ban on 12-6 elbows and upkicks itl never be fixed

Not necessary. If an eye poke is deliberate = point deduction, if it's not = warning. And how do you differ between the two? Who cares, that's what the ref is there for, he's supposed to make those kind of decissions.

Good idea. Or we can do like they do to thieves in most places of the world and just start chopping fingers off when ppl cheat

Not necessary. If an eye poke is deliberate = point deduction, if it's not = warning. And how do you differ between the two? Who cares, that's what the ref is there for, he's supposed to make those kind of decissions.
Ref didnt even call time after Ponzi gouged Perry so hard his eye started bleeding. The refs are shit

Ref didnt even call time after Ponzi gouged Perry so hard his eye started bleeding. The refs are shit

The refs may be shit, but that's a ref-problem, not a rule-problem.

Ref's are aware of what a fighter has done in the past, and I would guess they're aware of what they need to look out for when reffing certain fighters. Doesn't need to be implemented as a rule that you're carrying your shady past into the next fight. Itr's a new fight.

the zero tolerance policy could work for everyone, simple

Do fighters need each finger separately to grapple? If not close it like a boxing glove.

An eye for an eye technique maybe.....that would fix a few problems for sure :)

And it isn't working.

Pretty much if you get a warning for eye pokes then change what you were doing or get points deducted.

Do fighters need each finger separately to grapple? If not close it like a boxing glove.

That has been brought up so many times over the years and it is a dumb idea.

They need to have full dexterity in their hands to grapple at their best.

Fuck it, take a point for the first offense (regardless of intent), disqualify for a second. These guys are supposed to be professionals.

The refs may be shit, but that's a ref-problem, not a rule-problem.

Ref's are aware of what a fighter has done in the past, and I would guess they're aware of what they need to look out for when reffing certain fighters. Doesn't need to be implemented as a rule that you're carrying your shady past into the next fight. Itr's a new fight.

So PEDs souldn't carry over cause it's a new fight? I am sorry, but what you do in the past follows everyone. I am all for fighters reforming, but if you are a cheater in the past you should have a shorter rope in the future.

the zero tolerance policy could work for everyone, simple

Problem is, I can see a fighter running directly to an opponent's finger only to get that deduction

If I knew a guy was a eye poker and I was poked the first thing I am doing after my 5 min is kicking him in the dick

Tough to assign motive, maybe better to have the fighter take the five minute allowance but have the doc or cutman enter the ring and put ice on it quickly and for the full five minutes. Of course you would in this case still allow the fouled fighter to start the action sooner if they wish. taking away points for assumed intent is not a good idea when fights are only three or five rounds.

Last edited:
Back