Easy and comfortable

My personal pet peeve is rhe dudes who hog up the squat rack for like 30 minutes eith most of the time spent talking to their buddies or looking at their phones.

I’m a super noob at squats (knee injury) but I’m done with my sets in like 5 minutes. There are times where I finish my entire workout and the guys are still at the squat rack on their phones, still working on the same sets.

Im getting a home gym.

From Mark Rippetoe:
https://startingstrength.com/article/the_first_three_questions

How long are you resting between sets? This is usually the reason a kid is stuck, because he’ll usually say, “Oh, at least 2 or 3 minutes.” Strength training is not conditioning, and if you do not recover from the fatigue induced by the previous set, then accumulating fatigue limits your ability to complete the sets and reps required by the program. In a novice program, fatigue is not a variable we wish to introduce, because force production is the adaptation we want, not conditioning.

Strength is the goal of the novice program, and its close friend muscular hypertrophy. We’re trying to get bigger and stronger here, and taking the squat from 115x5 to 335x5 accomplishes this task every time. With 4 months of constant progress, this can be accomplished even given a missed workout or two (for funerals out of town and such). So you do whatever you have to do to make this happen, and it’s quite obvious that if resting 7 minutes between sets alleviates the fatigue from the previous set, which is necessary to complete all three sets of 5, then you rest 7 minutes. Maybe 8. We’ll get hot, sweaty, and out of breath later – now, we’re getting big and strong.

Again, this question is first because it is the Number 1 Error made by novice trainees. It’s easy to fix, so fix it. If time is a factor, start the warmups of the next exercise, but rest enough between work sets to get all the work done.

How so more than any other chain commercial gyms?
No. But they're the bigger name in our area. Weve had a few similar models but they never survive.

Movati is now the new player who is trying to provide a more spa-like environment. People seem to like it.

tenor.gif

My personal pet peeve is rhe dudes who hog up the squat rack for like 30 minutes eith most of the time spent talking to their buddies or looking at their phones.

I’m a super noob at squats (knee injury) but I’m done with my sets in like 5 minutes. There are times where I finish my entire workout and the guys are still at the squat rack on their phones, still working on the same sets.

Im getting a home gym.

Everybody at my gym gravitates towards the leg press machine. I suspect it's because they can load relatively heavy looking weight and be seated the whole time. I see people do a set of 10 and then look at their phones for 10 minutes. I've gone through 2-3 different workouts by the time they're done.

I rest about a minute or less usually. Due to my boxing experience it feels weird to rest too much between sets or "rounds." I am doing fine so far. I suspect I'll need to rest more the stronger I get but luckily very few people use the squat rack. The people who do also spend most of their time looking at their phones. I can't even switch off with them because these guys are squatting half of what I do despite being bigger than me.

Fitness Director at my job (who supposedly has a masters degree in exercise science) was extremely confused as to why I was doing interval sprints on the treadmills.

I told her i'm not gonna get a sub 60 heart rate and single digit body-fat by farting around with a medicine ball and an elliptical......... (seriously ? even people in the profession have no idea the amount of actual work you need to get results).[/QUOT

I think only East Tennessee State University, University of Kansas, and Ball State University do actual sports performance, and sometimes Florida State University, which is why I went to Canada for my Ph.D. .

Everybody at my gym gravitates towards the leg press machine. I suspect it's because they can load relatively heavy looking weight and be seated the whole time. I see people do a set of 10 and then look at their phones for 10 minutes. I've gone through 2-3 different workouts by the time they're done.

I rest about a minute or less usually. Due to my boxing experience it feels weird to rest too much between sets or "rounds." I am doing fine so far. I suspect I'll need to rest more the stronger I get but luckily very few people use the squat rack. The people who do also spend most of their time looking at their phones. I can't even switch off with them because these guys are squatting half of what I do despite being bigger than me.
The other day both squat racks were taken. One dude was doing bent over rows inside the rack. The other was doing military press.

<{vega}>

I was doing dumbbell presses on a bench in front of the lighter weights. There was an empty bench a few steps over near the heavier weights. This woman comes over and asks me if I could move over to the other one so she wouldnt have to carry her weights across the room. I looked at her like she was retarded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back