Early UFC 226 pay-per-view estimates are under 400,000 buys

The sole UFC bar in my area looked like it was a typical PPV.

Standing room only for Conor, Ronda, and GSP, but that's it.

Brock,Jones,Mcgregor, and Rousey are the only fighters I actually paid for. No one they have now is a draw by any means. Sorry Cormier.

I thought it would do a lot better than that, very poor.

I'm not paying 65$ for 1 hour of entertainment assuming there are 2 fights worth watching. There are hookers that cost less.

Hey guys so every once in a while these threads pop up and I have to say something. My moms friend is a successful business man and he said that even 250k PPV buys is good for the company.

He said using a 1M PPV buy rate as a normal thing would be crazy and if that were the case than the UFC would've sold for like 10 billion. He didn't really say 10 billion he said a lot more.

I trust him a lot more than some random person on sherdog saying UFC is dying lol. But I think they need more young fans almost none of my friend even know UFC exists. Lol

-Kenny

Except he never mentioned to you that UFC has to split PPV costs with PPV provider at 50/50. So no he does not know much of what he is saying because at the sell of 250,000 PPV buys that would be 120,000 buys compensated for UFC.

400k would be very good I think? Not a case of UFC is dying.

That's actually not that bad, especially considering Ortega screwed the pooch. My Dad is the type of casual that will buy superfights, Conor cards and big events, but he did not buy this one because the other title fight fell thru.

I said it wouldn't do more than 400k PPV views and I was right. That being said even 400k PPVs is too much which fool is paying for these?
Is that your Go-to response? Who's paying for these?
This main card was exactly what fight fans want. It was fun from start to finish. It even had an intermission fiht where we could piss smoke drink and talk without missing anything

I expected around that number tbh, the UFC barely promoted the event & the co-main fell off.

No. If you were on their payroll you drive them out of business. The contracts UFC has with networks like Fox for primetime are set in stone. They agree to price and Fox or any othee network then makes money from advertisements pertaining to how good the ratings are. Giving away free money by having big stars fight on free TV when UFC is already getting paid is stupid. You should read more on how things work buddy.
I am aware that the TV deal is fixed, and lol @ you for having terrible comprehension. In any instance of business you have to spend money to make money, give to receive. I know it is beyond your scope, but what I said would absolutely work. In that case they're not spending money, they're losing money temporarily by not making it on PPV for one card. They're planting seeds for the future, exactly what I said to begin with, exactly what you need to do in the long game that the UFC, especially now, has been losing at for a long time. They did it once back in 2005, it was called TUF. If you had any forethought, you would understand that having a big name on free TV would bring in what they don't have much of at all at this point: viewers. You have to have interest to sell a product, and they have little to none, even from their own fans. They have to create knew ones, and they have opportunities to do so four times a year and instead hype up MM as the best ever and put him in a boring main event that no one watches. It is literally why FOX doesn't promote the events for shit, bc the first FOX show was Cain vs JDS for the belt, they got I'm pretty sure their biggest audience, then started putting on bullshit free TV cards featuring fighters the general public doesn't care about, and their PPV audience has been in steady decline ever since...save Ronda, Conor, and Brock. If they gave a little (one of them on a free card every now and again) they would likely have higher buy rates overall, which makes more money overall than only on one PPV every here and there that features one of those fighters.

Think beyond a quick cash grab.

Last edited:
Yeah, except ESPN is not available outside the US, so that is really going to open up access for lots of fans...

You simply can't just buy the cards individually. Why can't I go to UFC.com, pay $60 and stream the event in high quality? No, I would need to sign up for multiple other services (cable, fightpass, etc.), some of which I may not have access to depending on location, before I even had the option to buy the event. Their old-fashioned distribution and content deals are woefully insufficient in a situation where PPV ratings are imploding.
seriously? where's your evidence of this? Every PPV they've put out is profitable this year. it doesn't take that many buys for it to break even because of their deals with cable companies. 400k when losing your co main was probably what most people predicted. this was never going to do over 600k buys.

220 had Stipe & DC both going for a title shot & it did about tree fiddy. I'm quite sure Ngannou with all his hype is what brought in the casuals for that pay day... so 400k for this one seem about right.

Two guys bowing to each other & giving mass respect is not what sellz PPVs. It's a shame tbh.... but that is the reality of it. Funny thing is that it's probably just as much Ngannou vs. Black Beast that sold this PPV as much as them... & there was more contact at the face off than there was during their fight. <Lmaoo>

@FrankieNYC

Whats up buddy? I was away a bit

People are running with numbers that were not from the PPV distributors
Meltzer clearly stated that the "under 400k" is based off the prelim numbers on TV.

it could be that though, but I'll post the actual numbers from Dave when he gets enough distributors to release it

The UFC predicted 450k before the co-main fell.
Dave's o/u was 425
I felt about that range as well

We'll see

but its obvious why Lesnar came back & did what he did though ;)

They need to change with the times and offer an online network deal. 100 bucks for a 6 month commitment. Or something along those line. Include ppv events. It's an outdated business model. Unless you can get a super big fight that happens once every 2 to 3 years.
We discussed some ideas very similar to this. I think you're right on, it certainly is an outdated business model.

400k buys is only 13M, which is far away from 40M. They only get about half the PPV cost.
Maybe check your math. 400,000 is $20 million, not $13 million. Then on top of that, there is live gate, concessions, parking, money from sponsors like Reebok and many others, programming rights from Fox for the prelims ect, ect. It might not be quite $40 million, but I wish business was dying and brought in cash like that in one day. I'd still trade bank accounts with Dana White anytime he wants to.

Maybe check your math. 400,000 is $20 million, not $13 million.

At a $65 cost per event
A 400k PPV nets UFC about $16m
They get about 55% from PPV distributors from traditional TV & different (higher) % from OTT/streaming partners.
They also keep most of the $$$ from UFC.TV/FP

Except he never mentioned to you that UFC has to split PPV costs with PPV provider at 50/50. So no he does not know much of what he is saying because at the sell of 250,000 PPV buys that would be 120,000 buys compensated for UFC.

You forgot to mention that 50/50 out of 250,000 is not 120,000. lol not trying to be mean but you forgot to mention that LOLOLOL.

5050.jpg

Sorry I dont' mean to offend but I thought it was funny. lolololol

Sorry but talking down on my moms friend is funny because he knows what he's talking about.
-Kenny

Maybe check your math. 400,000 is $20 million, not $13 million. Then on top of that, there is live gate, concessions, parking, money from sponsors like Reebok and many others, programming rights from Fox for the prelims ect, ect. It might not be quite $40 million, but I wish business was dying and brought in cash like that in one day. I'd still trade bank accounts with Dana White anytime he wants to.
PPV was 65. UFC splits about half of that with the PPV provider. 400k*32.5(half of 65) is 13M. I was speaking purely about the PPV buys as we do not know what % of concessions etc they get. The live gate was 5.6M.

PPV was 65. UFC splits about half of that with the PPV provider. 400k*32.5(half of 65) is 13M. I was speaking purely about the PPV buys as we do not know what % of concessions etc they get. The live gate was 5.6M.

Hey buddy
They get about 55% from traditional providers (like comcast, etc) & more from streaming partners (like Amazon) & a lot more from their in-house (UFC,tv & FP)

One of the keys to the ESPN deal that nobody is talking about is ESPN is a PPV partner in 2019.
So they will be promoting every UFC event with links/info to their streaming service

No idea why he thinks they get $50 per, that is outrageous, but I responded to him

as expected

next thread

Back