Early UFC 226 pay-per-view estimates are under 400,000 buys

images
This is America.

Don’t catch you slippin up

Hopefully these kinds of numbers will push them towards a subscription model instead of a ppv model.

I wonder how much better it would have done if Holloway didn't pull out.

Poor dying UFC only brought in $40 million or so in one night. I feel so bad for them. Maybe I could trade bank accounts with Dana to make him feel better.
400k buys is only 13M, which is far away from 40M. They only get about half the PPV cost.

Hey guys so every once in a while these threads pop up and I have to say something. My moms friend is a successful business man and he said that even 250k PPV buys is good for the company.

He said using a 1M PPV buy rate as a normal thing would be crazy and if that were the case than the UFC would've sold for like 10 billion. He didn't really say 10 billion he said a lot more.

I trust him a lot more than some random person on sherdog saying UFC is dying lol. But I think they need more young fans almost none of my friend even know UFC exists. Lol

-Kenny
young fans stream ya goof and your moms lover is a goose

They made a shit ton on the gate alone, anything over 300k was a victory for this card realistically. This was an MMA fans card, not a casual headliner card.

The card was sick from top to bottom and the ufc did well finanically, sounds like a win to me.

EDIT: quote from article

Another positive for UFC 226 was the live gate, which came in at just under $5.7 million, one of the ten highest gates in the history of MMA events in the state of Nevada. Usually a number that strong would yield a stronger buyrate than the current early estimate of less than 400,000.

The thing is, that rests on the assumption that people would buy the fight card if they couldn't pirate it. I wouldn't. I'd just wait and watch the clips later on when they were uploaded to the internet.

The UFC has a problem with overpriced events. I remember when I started watching UFC PPV events, the cost was like $39.95 (~2005-2006). Now they cost what, $65 online??? And HD versions from your cable provider, which you need to buy with an HD TV, cost even more.

The UFC should be tying their PPV prices to wages. If wages stagnate then so should the price of their PPVs. If anything this is a symptom of a bad economy. I used to pay to watch UFC PPV events because I could afford it. But in the past 10 years, wages haven't risen dramatically and cost of living (food + real-estate) has sky rocketed. I just can't afford to pay $65 to watch a UFC event now.

People can only afford such luxuries if they have disposable income, or the interest is sufficiently. Certainly some interest in the UFC has waned, but I'd argue the economy is at least 50% of the problem.

You act as if only UFC sets the price. Its also the cable company since they split 50%.

TS post the PPV numbers followed by the usual UFC is dying and WME got conned comments....never fails lol until next time folks see u at UFC 227

Sad state of affairs. Maybe actually promoting their events would help? Since promotion is WME's forte. Actually taking talent and making stars out of them.

They need to put a huge star on network TV. The UFC has squandered the obvious for a long time now. Their worries are about their stars bringing in PPV money that they get immediately, but aren't planting seeds for the future. Can you imagine how many viewers FOX would get if UFC put Conor in a main event? People that don't normally tune in would watch that shit for sure, it's free. You put your big stars on free TV to bring in new fans...and the overall product starts to receive more attention. It's the Kimbo Effect. He still holds the record for most watched MMA fight, bc people gave a shit about him and tuned in. You put a Conor type on free TV, could have been Ronda, hell, even Brock, people will tune in. Make the undercard a bunch of sacrifices to the JBG, and your fan base will begin to grow.

They should put me on the payroll. I will straighten out their problems, make them a ton of money, fuck all of their wives, and take the money and run. Ffs.

No. If you were on their payroll you drive them out of business. The contracts UFC has with networks like Fox for primetime are set in stone. They agree to price and Fox or any othee network then makes money from advertisements pertaining to how good the ratings are. Giving away free money by having big stars fight on free TV when UFC is already getting paid is stupid. You should read more on how things work buddy.

Is normal, UFC is a full of uncharismatic, boring and generic fighters with no drawing power
Their job is to fight, do you ask NBA players to be charismatic and have drawing power ? No the promotion of the sport is the leagues job

If everyone streaming it in PPV countries bought it instead? You'd be easily at 2 million. Thing is though if it wasnt available for free the vast majority of those people wouldn't pay for it. The idea of one event costing $65 is ludicrious to young people nowadays. Most of the games they play are free. They can stream all the shows they want for $10 a month. PPV model is going to steadily decline as those people age more and more into the target demographic.

What are "ppv countries"? Most people in Europe or North America couldn't buy PPVs even if they wanted to, because no one under retirement age has cable any more. Relying on PPVs as your main moneymaker in 2018 is retarded.

Their job is to fight, do you ask NBA players to be charismatic and have drawing power ? No the promotion of the sport is the leagues job
Their job is to entertain people, mostly by fighting, but entertainment is the first job. This has been about spectacle and entertainment from day 1.

What are "ppv countries"? Most people in Europe or North America can't buy PPVs even if they wanted to, because no one under retirement age has cable any more. Relying on PPVs as your main moneymaker in 2018 is retarded.
Which is why UFC has been moving to having distribution and content deals be the majority of their revenue for a few years now. The 300M from ESPN was not a mistake...

Which is why UFC has been moving to having distribution and content deals be the majority of their revenue for a few years now. The 300M from ESPN was not a mistake...

Yeah, except ESPN is not available outside the US, so that is really going to open up access for lots of fans...

You simply can't just buy the cards individually. Why can't I go to UFC.com, pay $60 and stream the event in high quality? No, I would need to sign up for multiple other services (cable, fightpass, etc.), some of which I may not have access to depending on location, before I even had the option to buy the event. Their old-fashioned distribution and content deals are woefully insufficient in a situation where PPV ratings are imploding.

Last edited:
Back