Early UFC 226 pay-per-view estimates are under 400,000 buys

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by acannxr, Jul 10, 2018.

1. podsox

podsox Red Belt

I wonder how much money wme saves by not really promoting anymore. They fill tv with commercials hyping the card but that’s it. It seemed there use to be a lot more hyping of cards than that

2. Ilovepizza

Ilovepizza Purple Belt

[​IMG]

edit: Generally speaking, this is a bad age for combat sports and even more so when you are as small as MMA.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 5:46 AM
  3. acannxr

acannxr Purple Belt

4. Dogo1

Dogo1 Brown Belt

I would have thought lhw champ vs hw champ would have done better even with the lose of the comain. I guess more people felt the same way I did, once Max was out, I quickly decided I'd be happy watching the free prelims & jumping on here Sunday morning to see what happened.

5. GrantB13

GrantB13 Brown Belt

I think all the people claiming some of these cards are gonna be a blockbuster are missing the X factor. Loosing big fights, especially from weight cutting, doesn't help either.

6. jsmtn

jsmtn White Belt

This issue is really not that relevant in the context of this thread, because it also applies to all other cards, and have done so for many years. The UFC have still been able to put up cards which draws over 1 million PPV buys (including in the last four years). Unfortunately, the drawing power of Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic does not match that of Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, or even Ronda Rousey. Even with Hollaway on the card, I think the UFC would have a hard time exceeding 1 million PPV buys.

7. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

If he doesn't give a fuck he wouldn't be going ham on Schaub on social media or getting emotional and lashing out against fighters when they piss him off still.

FrankieNYC likes this.
  8. Streeter

Streeter Brown Belt

Ufc getting both a Conor n a Brock ppv within 8 months tbey are really just fine

9. superpunch

superpunch Yellow Card Yellow Card

Anecdotal, but I work with a lot of younger guys. In the younger generation, like 20 years old right now, there's a lot of interest in boxing, probably more than in MMA. Boxing isn't as dead to them as it was to guys who are currently 25-35.

There have been some great fights over the past few years and I think that's why. Boxing when I was younger was just dominated by boring fucking fighters, especially at HW, Paq vs Floyd sucked, and it killed the sport. You've got some exciting fighters now at every weight.

10. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

I predicted 375 and I think that's a good number. UFC has been average in the 100s lately.

The card was a good MMA fan card but to draw the big numbers, you have to get the casual fan interested and those fights are few and far between. Conor and Ronda inflated PPV numbers and people started acting like they were normal.

It does amaze me though how a good card like DC/Stipe gets under 400k and then a Conor/Ronda cards gets in the millions. To think that there are literally 1 million more fans out there that will only watch the right fight is insane.

11. Liquid Samurai

Liquid Samurai Blue Belt

Streaming is becoming more popular by the minute. These same casuals I'm talking about knew nothing about streaming the last time Conor fought Alvarez. I'm noticing a trend of everyone talking about "firestick", and this is very new to the people I'm talking about.

12. KeepItRealist

KeepItRealist Black Belt

Not surprising. The UFC seems to expect fighters to promote themselves except for Conor (and formerly Ronda of course).

13. The Adder

The Adder Green Belt

The recent tuf finale was also the lowest rated ever. MMA is dead.

14. jsmtn

jsmtn White Belt

True to some extent, but people have been streaming UFC events since forever. Heck, even before 2010, a solid majority of the people I knew streamed the fights in one way or another rather than actually buying the PPV. There is no doubt that the low PPV numbers seen recently cannot be explained solely based on new streaming opportunities.

15. MeatheadFighter

MeatheadFighter Green Belt

lol at people blaming streaming, as if it's some new thing and hasn't been around forever.

Thepaintbucket likes this.
  16. Underdog bjj jp

Underdog bjj jp Brown Belt

boxing must be dead too because their biggest heavyweight stars dont draw shit

17. Thepaintbucket

Thepaintbucket Red Belt

This is what I predicted for UFC 226 in another thread. 400k is decent considering neither guy is a draw by themselves and with the UFC's current PPV environment.

18. FrankieNYC

FrankieNYC RIP to anybody that passed! Platinum Member

Way more than that
    Each PPV averages 4-6 viewers with bigger fights averaging more