Early Crawford/Postol PPV estimates

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rick Glaser saying 62k, but i don't believe him.

Most analysts like Steve Kim don't believe him either....

Way too high it's like double than I expected

Glaser is the ultimate steward for declaring failure. However if it did more then twice that number call me shocked.

Maybe they'll stop forcing PPVs if they bomb more often. I would have watched it on HBO.

I would have bought Canelo vs Khan if Crawford vs Postol was the co-main. That's a $60 card.

Time to step up your game, boxing promotors (and time to stop being primadonnas, boxers).

Maybe they'll stop forcing PPVs if they bomb more often. I would have watched it on HBO.

I would have bought Canelo vs Khan if Crawford vs Postol was the co-main. That's a $60 card.

Time to step up your game, boxing promotors (and time to stop being primadonnas, boxers).

Respect

Arum said they need 80k to break even for the event.
Not sure I get how they could. 80,000 * $60 = $4.8 million. What are the purses for this Fight? I would expect them to be more,than that for just the main event and obviously a lot of people besides the boxers need to get paid before an event is "break even".

Not sure I get how they could. 80,000 * $60 = $4.8 million. What are the purses for this Fight? I would expect them to be more,than that for just the main event and obviously a lot of people besides the boxers need to get paid before an event is "break even".
Purses probably weren't huge. The only reason this is PPV is because HBO didn't want to air it in regular HBO.

Crawford 1.6 million
Postal 675k

They don't get the whole 60 bucks for each buy, cable and satellite companies normally take about half from what I understand.

Boxing needs to change. PPVs with it's current model are BS and there's a reason the biggest sports in the world have no PPVs and that boxing in it's prime had no/few PPVs.
It works better in MMA because they have a product to sell (UFC, Bellator, etc) but something liek that doesn't exist in boxing.
Boxing needs free TV sadl PBC isn't doing well enough but Haymon wanted to be too much. HBO and Showtime nand all the promotions just need to stop getting excited for big short term money with PPVs and put their shit on free TV and I mean really big fights back in the day you saw ATGs figh each other in legendary battles on free TV and it was the golden age of boxing

I'd be pleasantly shocked if it did over 20k. Over 60k would be a win for a ppv fight no one wanted between fighters that are 4th rate boxing "stars."

I like this. I don't think every Canelo fight should be PPV either. Certainly not his next one. I'm tired of feeling FORCED to believe he's an elite mega star along the lines of Tyson, Oscar, Cotto, Pac, etc. While he's had moments of greatness, he hasn't been consistently great like those other fighters were in their prime. I know he can do big numbers with other big names, but his star power isn't so big as to have EVERY fight be PPV. The Smith fight, for example, will probably do like 250k buys.

Most Canelo fights should not be PPV. He should only be put on PPV if he has a great fight lined up, and he has had only two of those in his career. His numbers are going to be low until he fights GGG, if they force him onto PPV.

Most Canelo fights should not be PPV. He should only be put on PPV if he has a great fight lined up, and he has had only two of those in his career. His numbers are going to be low until he fights GGG, if they force him onto PPV.
The difference being that Canelo has sort of proven that enough people will pay for his fights to make it profitable, though I agree with the general idea you presented.

The difference being that Canelo has sort of proven that enough people will pay for his fights to make it profitable, though I agree with the general idea you presented.

Yeah, Canelo is a guy who can sell about 350k on his own, like he did against Lara and Angulo. That is enough to be profitable, which is unfortunate for us because it means he is going fight almost exclusively on PPV.

In my opinion, if your fight doesn't break 500k, that is a pretty good sign that it should have been on HBO or Showtime. They handled the Kirkland fight the right way and I wish they made the same decision with the upcoming Smith fight. It builds interest with casual fans when they actual have access to watching some fights now and then.

We'll see how Canelo smith pulls. It will show if casuals and some of his diehards really l have turned on him

Back