Early 218 PPV Estimates

Sorry to say but this is just a tide of what’s already here and what’s coming. Plenty of people understand streaming, via laptop, /r/mma on their phone or Kodi on fire stick. Your average under 35, above 18 male knows how to stream and get around paying. PPV is not a lasting format in this day and age. Not every fight can be Conor or GSP. IMO, all cards should be on tv or fight pass.

That’s stupid. It was a good card. Effing casuals

UFC's top draws
- Conor: Possibly getting killed by the mob at this moment. Made a $100M his last fight, has little need to fight. Only opponents even worth his time are Nate and GSP, perhaps a WW title fight since Conor likes to collect belts.
- Ronda: Currently on way to WWE
- Brock: Currently in WWE
- GSP: Leaving weight class he just won the belt in (Most likely one to fight in 2018)
- Jones: Facing 2 to 4 year suspension
- Nate: UFC wont meet his price so he wont fight
- Anderson: Facing 2 to 4 year suspension
Looks like Uncle Fester isn't getting out of the GSP Kiss-My-Ass club anytime soon.

UFC can only create stars by putting together consistently good cards.

If you build it, stars emerge organically.

The worst thing to do is try to milk old fighters for more fights. That is short term thinking.

That card was stacked!

I can say that I was one of those 230K that bought the PPV. I got my money’s worth.

Meltzer Newsletter:

Very early PPV estimates are in the 230,000 range, or pretty much what was expected going in. Given that the undercard looked to be one of the best with everyone ranked, and the action on paper looked great going in, the show doing numbers at that level tells you that you can talk about what on paper are great fights, or fights with ranked fighters up and down the show, or fights that could lead directly to title fights, and none of that moves the numbers appreciably. It’s a star power game, which is why stars have so much leverage and value.
Meltzer is lying dude has no inside info just guessing, I ll wait what Dana announces that will be the accurate ppv rate

Meltzer is lying dude has no inside info just guessing, I ll wait what Dana announces that will be the accurate ppv rate

I hope that was sarcasm ;)

MMAJUNKIE
Prior to this, most UFC PPV sales estimates came from longtime MMA and pro wrestling writer Dave Meltzer. And when we compare Meltzer’s numbers with those reported to potential UFC investors, we see an awful lot of agreement. In several cases, internal UFC documents reported the same buyrate figures that Meltzer did. For a guy who doesn’t know what he’s talking about, that’s a hell of a lucky guess.

What does the average UFC PPV do? You can't say a number is low or high, if you don't know the average.

IS Normal.

No draws no buys. Hopefully Francis is a draw after the Stipe fight is done.

That is pretty average actually. If a card does over 300k buys in 2017 its definitely above average (unless it has a star on it).

Overall interest by casuals in mma has plummeted. Unless a star is on a ppv casual fans don't give a damn and the ppv numbers over the past few years reflect that.

Anyone else remember when mediocre cards regularly did well over 300k+? Now amazing cards are lucky to break 250k.

wtf? that was a great card.

Casuals suck.

It had a late change in headliner, which always hurts cards. And instead of an intriguing match up between Frankie and Max that would tell us a lot about how FW will shape up over the next few years, we got a rematch with a predictable outcome.

Ngannou vs Overeem should have sold well and Gathje vs Alvarez was guaranteed fireworks. I think hiding these gems under a dud rematch between Aldo and Holloway hurt the card. Either one of those two as main event would have sold much better imo.

But yeah, there were some quality fights on this card. Surprised it did that low overall.

Quantity has a quality all it's own, having fight cards almost every weekend evens things out.

Back