Early 218 PPV Estimates

I mean, that was to be expected, neither aldo or holloway are stars and they never sold well. it is what it is

It is what it is.

<Dana05>

Fighters need to be more polarizing to become draws. One way is to make yourself into a meme.

...Mike Perry has had the right idea so far...

According to reports, he didn't cancel as much as leave the plane on the runway & said "illness" when they wondered where he was.

Hmm. It was the tweet in this link by the English-Indian chap who works for MMA Junkie when I first heard of him booked to do the show and he's obviously referring to the staff as from Ross' show.

Didn't remember reading the 'illness' reason as to why he didn't turn up or did and simply thought he wasn't bothered to go.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/conor-mcgregor-forced-pull-out-11409689

It is what it is.

<Dana05>

Fighters need to be more polarizing to become draws. One way is to make yourself into a meme.

...Mike Perry has had the right idea so far...

Ah, I think it's very hard for the American fighters to be big draws as they don't band behind any one particular fighter and even the likes of Alvarez with his Philly fan base who travel to his fights, it's only in the 100s.

That event in Cleveland for Miocic and Overeem was one of the best American crowds in terms of atmosphere, but American fans don't seem bothered to travel to Vegas or outside their own State in big numbers.

what the fuck?!?!

thats remarkably low

How did we go from constantly breaking 500k just a while ago to this?

mma seems to have fallen off a cliff.

fuck these casuals man

what the fuck?!?!

thats remarkably low

How did we go from constantly breaking 500k just a while ago to this?

mma seems to have fallen off a cliff.

fuck these casuals man

A few things
MMA hasn't fallen off a clip but every card is no longer must see
With 45 cards a year the days of making most stacked are over
Also PPV as an entity is going through a very strange faze
Heck Floyd dd 400k between MayPac & MayMac.
Unless there is media buzz, PPV is a tough sell.

All of the above is what the UFC TV negotiations are about
Getting compensated for better fights on free TV

This shows that we need more trash talk and bad blood between fighters. People don't find interest in fighters acting like regular people, UFC needs more Mike Tyson characters.

What? The card was stacked and insane.

Can't believe the numbers will be that low.
They've got to reach at least 400.

But anyways, the PPV model needs to be revised.

Meltzer Newsletter:

Very early PPV estimates are in the 230,000 range, or pretty much what was expected going in. Given that the undercard looked to be one of the best with everyone ranked, and the action on paper looked great going in, the show doing numbers at that level tells you that you can talk about what on paper are great fights, or fights with ranked fighters up and down the show, or fights that could lead directly to title fights, and none of that moves the numbers appreciably. It’s a star power game, which is why stars have so much leverage and value.

Quoted this, so I can remind people how this works.

The reason these are "very early estimates" is due to only a few PPV providers reporting.
Each provider released numbers according to their accounting
DTV is known for doing it a few days later, but some might be a certain day each month, etc.
Even MayMac & MayPac had early numbers that were adjusted a bit (MayPac higher & MayMac slightly higher) after a few weeks in.

So if 25% of the usual PPV market for UFC is in & that 25% is 57.5k, the very early estimate is 230k

But obviously things can come in higher/lower from this point on.

Of course some niitwit "media" will run with this as if it is a final number, but .........

A few things
MMA hasn't fallen off a clip but every card is no longer must see
With 45 cards a year the days of making most stacked are over
Also PPV as an entity is going through a very strange faze
Heck Floyd dd 400k between MayPac & MayMac.
Unless there is media buzz, PPV is a tough sell.

All of the above is what the UFC TV negotiations are about
Getting compensated for better fights on free TV

But last year and the one before that we had the same amount of cards and the ppv numbers were way higher...

Have you listened to the last "mma insiders" podcast?

But last year and the one before that we had the same amount of cards and the ppv numbers were way higher...

Have you listened to the last "mma insiders" podcast?

No (podcast), but last year the numbers were skewed by Conor fighting, UFC 200 & Ronda returning.
The b-PPV's were not good
Plus erosion gets worse every year & that is the era we are in

2016.png

UFC isn't "dying", but it's definitely in a bust cycle right now. It's not good for the immediate future of fighter pay if 90% of the roster doesn't have the name value to sell a card.

If this did that bad, i can only imagine how bad 219 is going to do. <{clintugh}>

No (podcast), but last year the numbers were skewed by Conor fighting, UFC 200 & Ronda returning.
The b-PPV's were not good
Plus erosion gets worse every year & that is the era we are in

View attachment 309563
you should absolutely take the time to listen to it

i guarantee you will enjoy it. i have no affiliation with them whatsoever... i just mention it because it is 100% your cup of tea

link: https://player.fm/series/the-mma-in...-ufc-television-broadcast-rights-negotiations

Flood the market with a fight card every 6 days and the casuals get bored.

Yup.

It's hard to adequately promote any one event when you have 7 or 8 right before and after it. And if they do, they neglect promoting the others.

you should absolutely take the time to listen to it

i guarantee you will enjoy it. i have no affiliation with them whatsoever... i just mention it because it is 100% your cup of tea

link: https://player.fm/series/the-mma-in...-ufc-television-broadcast-rights-negotiations

I deff will - thanks a lot

I wonder if they got any info from others that took it from - https://mma-today.com/going-ufc-tv-deal-negotiations-fans-concerned

Notice the 10/31 date (3 weeks BEFORE Sports Business Journal) ;)

If Stipe-Ngannou does not break 500,000 buys, it will show that the UFC sucks at promotion (especially with DC in the co-main).

Two HWs who KO fools left and right in the first round should generate big numbers.

Back