EA UFC 3, v2: Official Release Thread (12:00am EST 01/30 for Pre-Orders)

You can take a crazy amount of damage in this. Just played a guy online and he dropped me 9x in the 2nd rd but I still ko'd him in the 3rd

Correct. You can rock or knock down someone 10 times in one round, only to have your stamina depleted and getting KOd yourself in the following round.

So...i've given it a few days, the first day I was pretty pissed but i've replayed it and i'm enjoying it more

First off, thanks EA ..... for limiting my career mode options, I want the option to learn what ever move I want, not have to pay out my ass to join a new camp, only to then be kicked out because my "rival" has decided he doesn't want me there anymore.

I've played a bit of online and i've had better luck playing against overpowered caf users than GSP or Conor. Both of them are unstoppable on the feet.

The dudes who just throw L1 punches in the phone booth are a nightmare. I just can't seem to avoid it despite really experimenting with head movement.

Also, not that it bothers me, but it's gutting when you're having a fun match up and then the dude just gives up and goes for the leg kick tko. Mind you it just influences me to start checking.

It might not be a popular opinion but i'm thinking if you avoid the ground, it's a great stand up model.

Yeah, if you pick a guy who's not a good grappler and you end up on the ground it is almost impossible to get up. I've never been good at the ground game at any of the EA UFC games but was almost always able to defend and get up eventually in past games...in this one it seems SO easy for a decent grappler to block every single transition. Frustrating. I wish they put that "stand and bang" mode online.

You have to fake transition and not be predictably....if you REALLY wanna transition left, flick right or up slightly, your opponent will try to block that transition, then you can transition left at ease....good luck!!!

I finally got frustrated enough to put the game down a bit haha. I'm really struggling with the ground game.

UFC 2, I was good enough on the ground to handle all situations calmly, get up or work on GnP. I could safely hold full guard or get out bad positions. I was only subbed like 4 times online in 200 matches.

Now I can't seem to stop anyone from getting to mount over and over again. No Matter how quickly I block transitions. it's like its purely based on stats now. Higher stats = no resistance on transitions. incredibly frustrating.

I finally got frustrated enough to put the game down a bit haha. I'm really struggling with the ground game.

UFC 2, I was good enough on the ground to handle all situations calmly, get up or work on GnP. I could safely hold full guard or get out bad positions. I was only subbed like 4 times online in 200 matches.

Now I can't seem to stop anyone from getting to mount over and over again. No Matter how quickly I block transitions. it's like its purely based on stats now. Higher stats = no resistance on transitions. incredibly frustrating.

Lightweight is one of my favorite divisions, but I get matched up with Khabib every single time and it's just not fun to play. I am considering unchecking the box for matchmaking at LW because of it.

I mean for the most part I get it - it SHOULD be hard to deal with Khabib on top because that's how it is in reality. They did OK with most of the stats. I'm just not a guy who is going to pick the same fighter every time so its frustrating having to play a certain style every single fight at a certain weight class because of one guys stats. It's the same reason I don't play featherweight. Cejudo can wrestle with DJ a bit but overall there is just nobody in the weight class who can hang with him. Again, I understand that's realistic... its just not fun in a video game.

How? It’s the exact same as 2 as far as the transitions goes

Yea in terms of striking, you can pretty much hang with anyone. but its not like that on the ground. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

Hopefully the 1st few patches will smooth some things out.

How? It’s the exact same as 2 as far as the transitions goes
The mechanics are the same, yes. But something under the hood is changed. I think its the denial windows. They seem much smaller, especially when facing a higher rated grappler. The denial window is so short, that you have to be almost psychic to deny some of these attempts.

If they throw in a fake of any kind, it;s even more impossible to stop.

The career mode is driving me crazy. It's like you have no power. You can connect on 3-4 straight haymakers and your opponent's head damage meter barley ticks. Then you get hit with the same thing and it's goodnight. Then it feels like I just beat the absolute hell out of my opponent and still lose the UD. Starting my career 1-2. Bout to can it and start all over.

The career mode is driving me crazy. It's like you have no power. You can connect on 3-4 straight haymakers and your opponent's head damage meter barley ticks. Then you get hit with the same thing and it's goodnight. Then it feels like I just beat the absolute hell out of my opponent and still lose the UD. Starting my career 1-2. Bout to can it and start all over.
I saw a YouTube series of a guy playing career mode where he was on his 4th video and he was still winless.

I saw a YouTube series of a guy playing career mode where he was on his 4th video and he was still winless.
I can already see how it's easy to be stuck for a while. You have to pay for training camp to get better but you don't get paid much to lose so after 3 fights I'm now only able to afford one or two week training camps so I'm just marginally getting better.

I haven't jumped into career mode yet cause I'm getting my ass kicked on simple fight now vs the computer. I can only seem to do anything with kickers like Rockhold , Condit , Wonderboy and Machida.

The mechanics are the same, yes. But something under the hood is changed. I think its the denial windows. They seem much smaller, especially when facing a higher rated grappler. The denial window is so short, that you have to be almost psychic to deny some of these attempts.

If they throw in a fake of any kind, it;s even more impossible to stop.

IDK. A guy in mount is very easy to get off. The denial window to stop someone getting to half guard is very short. I also noticed the camera is at an angle instead of head view. So basically it’s difficult to see if someone is transition to the left from half guard to full. If dudes are throwing fakes you may fall for it once but dudes are usually patterned so just ignore their first transition realizing the second attempt is real

Anyone who says the ground is impossible have it 30 minutes then came to post on the forum. When my striker is in trouble in pro difficulty I'll shoot a well timed takedown. If you get to top half the computer tries to back take 3 times a row consistently... you deny all 3 his stamina is dead. Computer also doesn't defend from side control strikes at all. You can cheese out a tko easily. AI subs are difficult though with a big stat gap.

Everything game play-wise I'm getting much better at, and starting to appreciate. I like the slower pace a lot more than UFC 2, and moving while throwing strikes at different distances has added huge levels to this game. I'm just starting to learn how to bait opponents in and use my counters, and I especially love how you can throw strikes while moving backwards to counter. Its amazing, and reminds me of Fight Night series, only sometimes its even better in this game.

I still don't like this new control scheme and especially the uppercuts now being combined on two buttons. Sometimes I even forget I can throw them.

The biggest gripe I've had is the CPU AI. I get that certain fighters like to come forward, but they don't literally walk forward endlessly without ever taking a step back to regroup. This game just feels so smothered and claustrophobic sometimes. Also, I just fought Nick Diaz in my career mode, and he was throwing way too many kicks. Surprised the CPU AI isn't more developed or personalized to real fighters.

I have moments that are incredibly frustrating, like the CPU rage spamming strikes on me on the verge of being KO'd, but all in all most fights play out beautifully.

I'm also getting a lot better at avoiding damage and moving around using L1+the right stick to side step and back step, and I'm pretty good using my head movement now. This was my biggest frustration early on with the game.

IDK. A guy in mount is very easy to get off. The denial window to stop someone getting to half guard is very short. I also noticed the camera is at an angle instead of head view. So basically it’s difficult to see if someone is transition to the left from half guard to full. If dudes are throwing fakes you may fall for it once but dudes are usually patterned so just ignore their first transition realizing the second attempt is real
I'm actually not that bad at avoiding TKO's from mount. I can usually block and quickly hip bump and transition or just get back to half guard.

The problem is how short the denial windows are for me. It sounds easy to say, just ignore the 1st transition if you think they are faking. Because the entire meta of the game basically encourages lightning quick recognition of the tell, and quick denial. And honestly they dont even half to fake. A quick strike followed by a grapple advantage transition is basically a done deal against me right now. And I dont seem to the only one noticing how difficult it is to stop. I will keep working on it. But damn its frustrating compared to UFC 2

Then you encounter the people that fake to the same side. A quick fake to the right, I input denial which becomes useless, but then they immediately attempt to the right, and when I input denial its still recovering from my prior denial and they move right past. How the heck do you stop that?

Make me sorta miss the pre-emptive transition block from THQ. I wish EA could incorporate a hybrid system of both reactionary denials and pre-emptive blocks.

I still can't get a hang of fighting on the feet. There seems to be a big input lag compared to UFC 2 so I'm finding it hard to time head movement and strikes. I'm actually better on the ground. People seem to just bum rush you throwing power shots until their stamina is drained and your block/health is depleted, then they back up and then bum rush you again once their bar has refilled. Blocking is just ridiculously overpowered and the damage system seems to be inconsistent. Someone can take like 4 or 5 power hooks to the head without blocking and be fine but if you get caught as you throw a strike or go for a takedown you'll be rocked instantly. I think they need to lower the block and the amount of damage you can take to force people to be more strategic rather than just hook and jab spam fests. I find the body kicks way too slow as well. People can just step back before the kick lands because they're so slow and the wind up is so huge.

Ultimate Team is a huge step backwards. All I seem to fight are Conor McGregors with gold moves. The lack of customization compared to the old game is sad too. For example how you can't have individual CAFs with individual records, all records get lumped together. There's way less slots for new moves too and if you're a certain type of fighter you can't deviate from that. The fact that I can't give a striker a ton of submissions or a grappler versatile strikes takes a lot of the fun out of it for me.

I'm still enjoying it but there's definitely a lot of flaws I hope are fixed.

Yea the game does need some fine tuning, which I'm pretty confident the Dev team will do as they updated UFC 2 like 12 times.

These types of games naturally need tweaking as they discover the strengths and weaknesses of the gameplay.

Correct. You can rock or knock down someone 10 times in one round, only to have your stamina depleted and getting KOd yourself in the following round.

One guy went AWOL mid match and it took me a while to finish him..

Back