EA Earns Most Downvoted Comment In Reddit History

From an NPR article

"The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes," the EA post began.
That set off a Jar Jar Binks-level online furor.

This could end up being EA's "Xbox moment" where people finally get sick of their shit, and it forces change for the better.

People need to stay on their asses because if they get away with this you bet Activision, Ubisoft, Take two and the others will start this crap to.

Real money transactions. Take for example shadow of war. How the ever loving fuck does that game need loot boxes? There is nothing to keep up with or any reason to even offer them. It's straight up preying on people's psychology who are struggling in a solo endeavor. Furthermore it adds in the secondary layer that makes it far worse in that the "post game" for the real ending is an ultra grind that try's to squeeze out those loot boxes from people.

It's bullshit and the reason I recommended all my friends and acquaintances not buy the game. I was individually directly responsible for about 20 copies of that game being sold the first time around and the opposite this time around thanks to loot boxes.

Shit like this is the reason it's hard to take gamers complaints seriously sometimes.

"Need" doesn't apply. You don't need games. But you enjoy them. Loot boxes are the same principle. Some people Don't give a shit, while others like having the option.

Fucking "preying on people's psychological a behavior"? Goddamn it. Stop. That's some of the dumbest shit ever spoken. If someone can't resist buying a goddamn loot box they have serious issues.

Sounds like you haven't played it and you're going off the tweets that were released at launch by people who hadn't played the game. There's no "real ending" afterword. There's a tiny epilogue that's fairly meaningless. There's no "grind" it's just typical busywork after the main game is finished. Similar to the Arkham games.

Last edited:
Shit like this is the reason it's hard to take gamers complaints seriously sometimes.

"Need" doesn't apply. You don't need games. But you enjoy them. Loot boxes are the same principle. Some people Don't give a shit, while others like having the option.

Fucking "preying on people's psychological a behavior"? Goddamn it. Stop. That's some of the dumbest shit ever spoken. If someone can't resist buying a goddamn loot box they have serious issues.

Sounds like you haven't played it and you're going off the tweets that were released at launch by people who hadn't played the game. There's no "real ending" afterword. There's a tiny epilogue that's fairly meaningless. There's no "grind" it's just typical busywork after the main game is finished. Similar to the Arkham games.

You are living in such denial about what is going on is sad. They hire physiologist to help them understand how to do get people to buy this crap. Why the hell are you so hell bent on defending this practice.

You are living in such denial about what is going on is sad. They hire physiologist to help them understand how to do get people to buy this crap. Why the hell are you so hell bent on defending this practice.

Defending what practice? Every time you've quoted me you've set up a ridiculous straw man position. loot boxes have been around for ages. How is it that shadow of war is the first one to "prey" on people? That makes zero goddamn sense. Loot boxes gonna loot box. Shiny things inside. Big flash when it opens. This is how it's been for years. Why aren't people complaining about valve and their seasonal loot boxes that you need to purchase a key to open? The double standards are ridiculous. Shadow of war isn't the first game with loot boxes, and it isn't the last.

Defending what practice? Every time you've quoted me you've set up a ridiculous straw man position. loot boxes have been around for ages. How is it that shadow of war is the first one to "prey" on people? That makes zero goddamn sense. Loot boxes gonna loot box. Shiny things inside. Big flash when it opens. This is how it's been for years. Why aren't people complaining about valve and their seasonal loot boxes that you need to purchase a key to open? The double standards are ridiculous. Shadow of war isn't the first game with loot boxes, and it isn't the last.

Keep living in denial then and keep being part of the problem

Super interesting if true. I could see Disney threatening to take the Star Wars license to Activision if EA didn’t do something to rectify the negative publicity around the game. We’re a month away from Episode VIII so I could see them being pissed about the situation.

So what you are trying to say is fuck people who have a gaming addiction?

rPNCqww.jpg

Keep living in denial then and keep being part of the problem

All you do is avoid my points and throw out insults. I doubt that'll change anytime soon.

So what you are trying to say is fuck people who have a gaming addiction?

rPNCqww.jpg

If you're so concerned about the mental well being of gamers, why single out Shadow of War for its loot boxes and not the dozens of other game that have had loot boxes over the years? Why arent you complaining about Valve putting out limited edition seasonal loot boxes that can only be unlocked with a purchased key? Should loot boxes be illegal or something? IS this actually what you're saying?

As far as gamers with game addictions, maybe developers should just stop making games entirely, right? Otherwise they're just feeding into the psychosis of the mentally ill. So loot boxes alone arent the problem, the existence of games at all is the culprit. I've heard of gaming addictions. Never once heard of loot box addiction.

Businesses want you to buy their shit. It's up to you to not buy it.

Last edited:

Definitely a win for gamers, but they even say directly that microtransactions will be back.

This guy nails it and gives a little insight into how corporations think:
Show_Me_Your_Husky
Armchair Developer

12h

I'm a Producer at a AAA Studio(I'm more than happy to provide proof to subreddit mods)

This is pretty clear what they're doing to anyone who works in the industry. They want to maximize their initial sales numbers to show to investors. Once the trade off is worth it(Probably 1-2 months in), they will enable the gamble boxes again because:

1. Everyone who was on the fence will have bought the game by now

2. You can't refund the game at this point

3. The news will have died down, and if new articles docome out, it won't be as relevant

4. They will already have good numbers to show investors
EA is going to royally fuck over the average gamer who doesn't have a clue how the industry works on this. This is about as deceptive as it gets. I hope that clarifies things…. but please do not let this extensive clarification distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table

Edit: wow I didn't expect this type of response! I feel such a sense of pride & accomplishment!

Took an enormous enormous, but it's still a big moment for gamers--and honestly it has to be a shining example for how to challenge the corporate machine. Really an interesting ordeal.

There’s still a whole garbage loot crate progression system in place that needs to be done away with.

All you do is avoid my points and throw out insults. I doubt that'll change anytime soon.

If you're so concerned about the mental well being of gamers, why single out Shadow of War for its loot boxes and not the dozens of other game that have had loot boxes over the years? Why arent you complaining about Valve putting out limited edition seasonal loot boxes that can only be unlocked with a purchased key? Should loot boxes be illegal or something? IS this actually what you're saying?

As far as gamers with game addictions, maybe developers should just stop making games entirely, right? Otherwise they're just feeding into the psychosis of the mentally ill. So loot boxes alone arent the problem, the existence of games at all is the culprit. I've heard of gaming addictions. Never once heard of loot box addiction.

I do, and I did. You were mad about that.

The point is they are exploiting peoples addictions. There are degrees to everything. Don't act like taking up peoples time while also stripping people of their financial well being by directly harvesting their resources is the same as just taking up their time.

The point is not about legality... it's about my personal stance on the matter. My personal stance is quite simple and one I will continue to encourage others to undertake. I do not support game companies crossing the line into exploitation of their customers.

Lastly i was highly amused at the whole "never once heard of" comment. As if things aren't happening you aren't hearing about. So arrogant. Nothing could possibly exist you haven't heard about...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...g-about-loot-boxes-and-gambling/#1d04166f2a64

http://www.pcgamer.com/behind-the-addictive-psychology-and-seductive-art-of-loot-boxes/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/24/the-troubling-psychology-of-pay-to-loot-systems

https://kotaku.com/loot-boxes-are-designed-to-exploit-us-1819457592

It's not like another serious addiction people struggle with... you know... gambling. They really have nothing at all in common... seriously though... really they don't.

So you are fine with people being taken advantage of then

If the slot machine-esque aspects of loot box opening had no psychological effects to entice people to spend more, then why would they design "the big flash when it opens?" Why not just put all the cool shit in a menu with full price transparency so that people can make an informed decision? Answer: They are taking advantage of the psychological thrill of "winning" something, same as a slot machine. It's a bullshit practice. Why would you be against empowering consumers?

Way to completely miss the point

I see both side of the argument.

Personally, I think people should vote with their wallets. EA is in the business of making money, and if people want to waste it on shit to get more content from a game, that's their prerogative. Much like it's EA's prerogative to have whatever business model they like provided not illegal.

Does it suck that richer people will have all sorts of advantages over poorer people in online play? Yes.

Welcome to life. Often video games are an escape from life, so I can see how this can take away from the enjoyment. Solution -- don't purchase / play games with the EA model. Keep your wallet shut.

So what are they gonna do about the players who already paid to win? They just gonna be allowed to dominate from here until whenever they balance this shit out?

Solid achievement for the gaming community though. Not everyday EA doesn't tell everyone to go fuck themselves.
EA now has learned the lesson to never interact with the community and never reveal your intentions, like Activision. That way everybody knows what they're gonna get but you never have that moment of outrage like this

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back