DW's Tuesday Night Contender Series 2018 Week 3: LIVE on Fight Pass 8PM ET/5PM PT PBP Discussion

Yeah, she fought an opponent who took the fight on a week notice. So impressive.

So you either can't or refuse to answer the question. I see no reason to continue any discussions with you.

Did you watch the grappling exchanges? Do you understand why the takedown denials worked? I suggest you watch the fight again until you do. And if you don't understand why then frankly you're not qualified to pass judgment.

I watched them. I saw a far superior athlete give up a couple take downs to an unskilled striker.

Did you watch the grappling exchanges? Do you understand why the takedown denials worked? I suggest you watch the fight again until you do. And if you don't understand why then frankly you're not qualified to pass judgment.
Ikve grappled. Yes, she had good takedown defense. But Again, she was against an opponent who was not properly prepared for this fight. Why is that so hard to understand?

Holy shit. This thread turned into a bunch of this:

<mma1><mma1><mma1>
<DCrying><DCrying><DCrying>
<2><2><2>

Cry more about how your fat journeyman didn't get a contract. Shit.

She did not earn the contract above others tonight, based on the performances shown. The fix was in. Not the fight fix, but that she was getting a contract.
Cmon man, go easy on it. There's no grand conspiracy here. She earned her first finish in 16 years, and never once looked in danger against a decent fighter who won in LFA two weeks ago, and in a division that desperately needs talent. Meanwhile, Erosa fights at FW, which I think has the most fighters on the roster right now - either that or LW. The "main event" fighters have won contracts in all but two events so far, so we kind of expected it.

Cmon man, go easy on it. There's no grand conspiracy here. She earned her first finish in 16 years, and never once looked in danger against a decent fighter who won in LFA two weeks ago, and in a division that desperately needs talent. Meanwhile, Erosa fights at FW, which I think has the most fighters on the roster right now - either that or LW. The "main event" fighters have won contracts in all but two events so far, so we kind of expected it.
In other words, the contract was guaranteed provided she didn't lose.

In other words, the contract was guaranteed provided she didn't lose.
From a purely statistical perspective, the UFC seems to have built these cards so they're been more apt to sign the winner in the main event, but that's just an observation from 11 events so far. Why it is, we can't know, but there are plenty of assumptions to be had. Last impression in the mind of Dana, or that they build the card depending on how interested they are in signing a fighter, or something else. But let's not act surprised that a now 6-0 fighter has been signed to a new division that just had its first title fight last year. A division that has several contenders and top 15 fighters that have less than that in experience.

From a purely statistical perspective, the UFC seems to have built these cards so they're been more apt to sign the winner in the main event, but that's just an observation from 11 events so far. Why it is, we can't know, but there are plenty of assumptions to be had. Last impression in the mind of Dana, or that they build the card depending on how interested they are in signing a fighter, or something else. But let's not act surprised that a now 6-0 fighter has been signed to a new division that just had its first title fight last year. A division that has several contenders and top 15 fighters that have less than that in experience.
There is only 1 fighter in the top 15 with less than six fights.

If you do not have Fight Pass and only want to watch the Contender Series, a summer Season Pass is currently being sold by the UFC for a discounted $8.99 here, it gives you ~8 weeks of FP.

For those of you new to the series, every Tuesday from June 12th until August 7th, with July 3rd off, top prospects and former UFC fighters will compete on a five-fight card with the opportunity to win a UFC contract. Some events, only one winner gets a contract, and others, multiple fighters are awarded that elusive contract.

Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series 2018, Week 3!

WFLW: Antonina Shevchenko (5-0) vs. Jaymee Nievara (7-3)
LW: Te Edwards (5-1) vs. Austin Tweedy (10-1)
HW: Greg Rebello (24-8) vs. Josh Parisian (6-2)
FW: Jamall Emmers (13-3) vs. Julian Erosa (21-5)
MW: Tim Caron (9-1) vs. Jordan Williams (7-2)

Weigh-in Results - All fighters successfully made weight
WFLW: Antonina Shevchenko (125.5) vs. Jaymee Nievara (126)
LW: Te Edwards (156) vs. Austin Tweedy (155.5)
HW: Greg Rebello (248) vs. Josh Parisian (265)
FW: Jamall Emmers (146) vs. Julian Erosa (145.5)
MW: Tim Caron (185) vs. Jordan Williams (185)

Odds as of 3:30 PM ET
View attachment 398139

Previous Contract Winners:

2017 Season - Breakdown and Summary Here
Week 1: FW Kurt Holobaugh (R1 KO) and BW Boston Salmon (Unanimous Decision)
Week 2: BW Sean O'Malley (R1 KO)
Week 3: LHW Karl Roberson (R1 KO) and MW Geoffrey Neal (R1 TKO)
Week 4: MW Julian Marquez (R2 KO) and FW Brandon Davis (Unanimous Decision)
Week 5: LHW Mike Rodriguez (R1 KO) and FLW Alex Perez (R1 Tech Sub - Anaconda Choke)
Week 6: MW Charles Byrd (R2 Sub - Rear Naked Choke) and FW Grant Dawson (R2 Sub - Rear Naked Choke)
Week 7: BW Benito Lopez (Split Decision) and FLW Joby Sanchez (R2 TKO)
Week 8: LW Matt Frevola (R2 Sub - Arm-Triangle Choke), WBW Lauren Mueller (Unanimous Decision), HW Allen Crowder (R3 TKO) - as well as MW Bevon Lewis (R2 TKO) signed to Developmental League

2018 Season
Week 1: LHW Alonzo Menifield (R1 TKO) - as well as HW Greg Hardy (R1 TKO) signed to Developmental League
Week 2: FW Matt Sayles (R1 TKO), MW Anthony Hernandez (R1 KO), LHW Ryan Spann (R1 Sub - Guillotine Choke), and WW Dwight Grant (R2 KO)

Contracts issued to fighters will start at $10k to show and $10k to win, for around 3-4 fights. Other winners may be called to the UFC for short notice replacements or brought back for future CS events.

Commentary: Brendan Fitzgerald, Michael Bisping
The commentary will alternate this season between Play-by-Play announcers Brendan Fitzgerald and Dan Hellie, and Color Commentators Michael Bisping and Paul Felder

There will be NO Snoopcast this season.

Fights will start in approximately 4 hours and 15 minutes from this posting.
Once the two months are over what happens with the fp subscription?

Is It automátically renewed? Then its 10 per month?

Or is It just done? I hate the auto renews... Usually things get messy if you want to cancel

There is only 1 fighter in the top 15 with less than six fights.
I came into your anger late, so I want to clarify your stance before digging deeper and looking up more numbers. You would have preferred another fighter like Parisian or Erosa were signed? I agree that the Parisian situation is a raw deal, but given that he's going to be on TUF, he'll be signed. They signed 6 fighters from TUF 10, so I'd wager at least that many on this rotation, if not more. Erosa, I guarantee we'll see him within two months as a replacement fighter, so I'm not too broken up about his situation.

Once the two months are over what happens with the fp subscription?

Is It automátically renewed? Then its 10 per month?

Or is It just done? I hate the auto renews... Usually things get messy if you want to cancel
I think it's a one-off, but I don't actually know how they are doing it with this special sale. Since I already have FP I can't look to see far into signing up for this deal, it sends me right into FP. I do know that cancelling FP is pretty easy now, compared to the old days.

I came into your anger late, so I want to clarify your stance before digging deeper and looking up more numbers. You would have preferred another fighter like Parisian or Erosa were signed? I agree that the Parisian situation is a raw deal, but given that he's going to be on TUF, he'll be signed. They signed 6 fighters from TUF 10, so I'd wager at least that many on this rotation, if not more. Erosa, I guarantee we'll see him within two months as a replacement fighter, so I'm not too broken up about his situation.
To put it simply, Yes. I feel those guys were straight up raw dogged. Parisian in particular, who came in short notice.

Ikve grappled. Yes, she had good takedown defense. But Again, she was against an opponent who was not properly prepared for this fight. Why is that so hard to understand?
Do you understand that a last minute opponent change affects the fighter who has been training as well? Juarez is more of a striker and she has a stocky build, while that chick Shevchenko had to fight is a one dimensional grappler a bit taller and certainly faster, this wasn't who she had been training for. And even then, Shevchenko totally dominated the fight and made it feel uncomfortable to a point we got a merciful stoppage.

You again with stupid criticism that obviously is more sentimental than logical.

To put it simply, Yes. I feel those guys were straight up raw dogged. Parisian in particular, who came in short notice.

I feel the same way. Parisian got srt8 screwed.

I ingest the content under the premise that the contracts are awarded based on the performance of 1 fight, the fight on the show. No way does Parisian take the fight on 4 days if he knows the best he can "earn" is an opportunity to "earn" a shitty tuf contract. Showed up on 4 days notice as a heavy dog. Successfully used techniques not often used in his division. KO'd the favorite in convincing fashion. Unless Dana is trying to get this guy on the cheap, I don't understand.

Only so many contracts, blah blah blah. They gave out 4 last week.

They should have given it to Josh, Te and Williams. Or only Josh and Te. Giving a contract to Schevshenko only because of her sister was bullshit. I am not saying she is a bad fighter or fought a bad fight BUT it was NOT the most impressive performance of the night which is what the show is suppose to be about...

Holy shit. This thread turned into a bunch of this:

<mma1><mma1><mma1>
<DCrying><DCrying><DCrying>
<2><2><2>

Cry more about how your fat journeyman didn't get a contract. Shit.

I don't understand the hard on over the HW dude throwing telegraphed spinning shit. Sure, nice KO, but nothing particularly special. Shallow fight in terms of the skill displayed.

Do you understand that a last minute opponent change affects the fighter who has been training as well? Juarez is more of a striker and she has a stocky build, while that chick Shevchenko had to fight is a one dimensional grappler a bit taller and certainly faster, this wasn't who she had been training for. And even then, Shevchenko totally dominated the fight and made it feel uncomfortable to a point we got a merciful stoppage.

You again with stupid criticism that obviously is more sentimental than logical.

We aren't comparing apples to apples, and oranges to oranges here. We are comparing Schevchenko's performance against a heavy underdog, versus Parisian's(or Erosa) performance against the heavy favorite.

Parisian threw and landed multiple spinning attacks as a large HW, and still had the wind for the post fight interview. Lewis/Ngannu going to make a lot of money, neither can do that.

Back