DVD Review -- Carlos Machado Secrets Of The Hook Flip

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Zankou, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Zankou ...he glows with a bright light!

Zankou
    I hate it when people review DVDs without ever spending time working on the material first. So I've spent some time working this DVD into my game. And here's my review of this dvd.

Budovideos.com - Unstoppable: Secrets of the Hook Flip DVD with Carlos Machado

This DVD is epic. The hook sweep is the best sweep in BJJ, far and away my favorite. If you aren't aware of its glory, be aware. Much like certain throws in judo, if you get your grips, the sweep is a done deal. The problem, however, is that the hook sweep is something you can spend years improving. Like a good uchimata. This DVD basically consists of an incredibly knowledgeable hook sweep expert giving black belts advice on how to perfect the hook sweep.

And just the hook sweep. There are almost no entries, and no real variations. No subs. Just perfect execution of the hook sweep, using different grips and subtle variations on positioning.

The DVD consists of a seminar that Carlos Machado is giving to several black belts. It is well-edited into different chapters, and the video quality is good. As background, it is assumed you are already knowledgeable about how to correctly execute a pretty good hook sweep. So it isn't that useful to beginners. But to anybody who loves the hook sweep, it's invaluable.

I can only wish there were other instructionals like this, devoted to perfecting a single move. I guess Ryan Hall's "Triangle" is somewhat similar. But even that has a lot of variations and setups. What's beautiful about this setup is that it forgoes such frippery, and focuses on perfecting a simple, basic move to an incredible level.

Finally, it's cheap. Awesome.

2. Mr. Sandman Blue Belt

Mr. Sandman
    Anyone know where I can get this dvd?

3. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Calibur
    I will forever preach the simplified greatness of anything put out by Carlos Machado.

His infinite jiu jitsu set is the only set I know that I think could really school experienced practitioners.

4. Spazzmaster Purple Belt

Spazzmaster
    You can't. It has been out of print a long time. You might be able to buy it from Carlos Machado personally somewhere in Texas.

For a while last year, he had the Unstoppable seminar and other instructionals on Vimeo for on-demand viewing. If you paid something like $20 through paypal, you had full access to the videos for 12 months. But then he removed all the videos from the channel, thereby screwing over anyone who paid.

Now I hear RCJ Machado is trying to do a "mobile training site" - basically a monthly subscription for the same old seminar content. Seems haphazardly done and very shady. Just another way to squeeze some bucks from suckers.

Sadly, that is about par for the course when it comes to Carlos Machado's business decisions these days.

5. MUFC Brown Belt

MUFC
    I'm so bad at this technique and everything butterfly guard based (other than hand fighting).

Edit: That's not fully true. I can do the sweep just fine to one side, but not at all the other leg.

6. Spoonman7 Red Belt

Spoonman7
    did not realize that this DVD was out of print, make me glad I have a copy.

7. DVD review guy Green Belt

DVD review guy
    Zankou - Thanks for posting the review.

Is it worth the buy for a No-Gi player?

8. Mr. Sandman Blue Belt

Mr. Sandman
    Well that answers it. Thank you Spazzmaster.

9. LocalNmass Blue Belt

LocalNmass
  10. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    I have a copy of this I'd be willing to sell. PM me if interested. I think I still have the physical DVD laying around somewhere.

11. Zankou ...he glows with a bright light!

Zankou
    It is not great for nogi. The hook sweep is great for nogi, but most of the details here are gi-specific. Yes, there are some things a pure nogi player could benefit from, but not enough that I would advocate the purchase.

12. Zankou ...he glows with a bright light!

Zankou
    The technique requires no timing. You should be able to look your opponent in the eyes, announce "I am going to hook sweep you," and then still pull it off every time.

It requires proper grips and movement, not timing.

13. Aesopian Brown Belt

Aesopian
  14. Spoonman7 Red Belt

Spoonman7
    Carlos' instructionals are amazingly detailed. Im sure this will be as great as his past sets, can't wait to watch it.

15. oyaji poi oyaji belt

oyaji poi

That's the second time today I've read this word, before this morning I had never heard it before.

Thank you for the review, can you recommend any sources on hook sweeps for no-gi?

16. sanchezero Green Belt

sanchezero
    hey zank, have you checked out little tony's hook sweep dvd? i ask just b/c i'd be interested in a comparison. i have it and it seems like it might be kinda the opposite in the sense that he shows a buttload of setups.

17. Luther Green Belt

Luther
    Hey Zankou, thanks to your review I'm definitely wanting to buy this DVD (I'm a brown belt).

I've two questions:

1) how does that compares to Tony Pachensky instructional?

2) Once I get in position I almost always get the hook sweep or some other good advantage, so I'd like to perfect my entries, setup and especially the grip fighting in order to reach the position. Ryan Hall too discusses that once your technique is at a certain level, it's not the move in itself, but how you reach the position which is more important. Hoever you say "There are almost no entries, and no real variations"... and by my above reasoning this is a big no-no for me! Would you care to explain better in regard to my point?

Thanks!

18. Zankou ...he glows with a bright light!

Zankou
    I've seen this as well, and I don't care for it that much. It's a bunch of different setups and variations, just as you say, and the organization and vid quality are pretty poor. Not my fave.

19. Zankou ...he glows with a bright light!

Zankou
    Grip fighting and entries are indeed critical, but they just aren't covered here. I don't know of any really good instructionals on the subject. Grip fighting from butterfly guard is so complicated, there isn't really a simple way to explain it. It's essentially like handfighting in judo or wrestling, there are so many different things you are trying to do.

Basically I think of grip/hand fighting from butterfly guard as exactly the same as when you are wrestling. There are a variety of dominant grips. You want to achieve them, while denying your opponent the same. You could do a six disc set just on this subject alone.

The Carlos Machado instructional basically assumes you have one underhook to start. Which is 90% of the battle, admittedly. If I get an underhook in butterfly, I intend to complete the sweep almost every time. But if you know how to hook sweep, you'll know you can also do the sweeps off an overhook, russian tie, armdrag, collar and sleeve grip, what have you. A very interesting subject, but not covered much here. What the instructional focuses on more than anything is how to defeat any defense that your opponent may attempt once you get the underhook. The basic theme is that once you have the underhook, there is no defense you can't surmount.

The one entrance that it does cover, with a couple variations, is a very interesting transition from closed guard to cross-grip and the belt. I've been playing with it and having a lot of fun. It's a great entrance, and apparently Carlos's favorite from closed guard. It is not easy to describe, other than to say it uses a cross collar grip with one hand and a cross sleeve with the other, then starts to go into a scissor sweep transition, uses the knee on the cross-sleeve side to trap the arm, puts in the hook, and end up with a deep belt grip and cross sleeve position (where you can easily hit huge sweeps either way).

20. JRT6 Black Belt

JRT6
    Good to know as I was considering that DVD set.

21. DStone** Brown Belt

DStone**
    Thanks for the review, I'm considering buying this DVD.

Hook/butterfly sweep IS my game and I have no problem executing the sweep itself. I'm more interested in creative new entries to the best position to execute the different variations of it. Do you think this DVD cover it?

22. Shemhazai Black Belt

Shemhazai
    Does this DVD address sweeping with the overhook/whizzer at all? I find myself doing this a lot due to the versatility and availability of the overhook, as well as having kind of a mentor at my academy who specializes in sweeping with the whizzer. I agree that the underhook is a bit more powerful, but I feel that a strong whizzer hook sweep really completes a good half guard game.

23. Zankou ...he glows with a bright light!

Zankou
    It only shows one style of creative new entry, but it's a great one. The cross-grip one I refer to above.

24. Zankou ...he glows with a bright light!

Zankou
    It doesn't cover the whizzer hook sweep, but the whizzer sweep isn't much different so all of the stuff works the same.

If you have an instructor who specializes in that grip, you don't need an instructional. There are only a few adjustments you need to make to work the sweep with the whizzer, and he can show you to them. Other than that, everything is the same (though the reverse sweep is awesome with the whizzer).

Overhook is terrific for the hook sweep, but it's much better nogi IMHO because it's so easy to get nogi, and such a pain to get in the gi.

25. ChrisK1 Orange Belt

ChrisK1
    anyone know when budo's getting more in? machado only ships using ups on his website. $17 to ship