Dvalishvili to appeal UFC Atlantic City loss to Ricky Simon

If Big John says he was out and it was a good call I agree.

Usually they don't pay attention to appeals but they should this time because that shit was whacked. You have to wave it off before the bell to stop it. When the bell rings that means you go to the scorecards. The guy was clearly out but you can't say the fight is over after the fight is over.
According to Big John you do not have to. He wrote the NJSAC rules so he would know.......

Maybe he’ll ride that imaginary bicycle he was riding, while unconscious on Saturday, to hear the decision to his appeal.

He was kicking his legs until the bell rung. How and when did he get choked out? His legs would not be moving if he got choked out. He was kicking his legs for more than 30 seconds up until the choke was released. . Ricky pointed at Merab and said he's out. Merab looked at him and said no I'm not. Merab was not out. Not sure what the debate is about either.
Your legs can reflexily move while you are unconscious.

he may have been out when he got DDT'd and he might have been out when the bell rang. its really hard to tell, seems everyone in the cage thought he was out including simon and the ref.
The ref did not wave off the fight until he was laying down getting checked by the docs.(probably 30 seconds after the fight has ended) Simon opinion does not matter and when he pointed and said he's out, Merab says im not out fanatically!

doubt it will be overturned.

some other refs have already supported the call (though quibble with 'TKO', suggest it should have been 'technical submission'). that suggests the actual rule(s) are counter-intuitive, but well known to those who are supposed to know these thing.

ultimately i think this will be like the debate about exactly what the back of the head is. fans simply didn't know. AC's clarified. fans then knew. we still know. most sherdoggers can tell you exactly what the back of the head is. but they couldn't until a controversy brought it to everyone's attention.

within the next few months, we will all know and understand exactly what this rule is and how & when it should be applied.

I don't understamd your point here.
What are you saying applies to GnP for example, but not for a sub. Defending a sub is simply not tapping or passing out, we have seen a lot of fights were a guy is defending a guillotine for several minutes just avoiding getting choked
Well, ask yourself "Why is a fight stopped when a fighter isn't intelligently defending themselves?"

In the case of strikes it is to avoid any further brain damage and injury to the fighter.

Well, in the case of a tight choke (his face was purple, we shouldn't have to argue that it was tight) I would make the argument that the fight should be stopped to avoid any further brain damage and injury to the fighter.

I realize this may not be the "Official" ruling of when to stop a fight, but I feel it should be.

Last edited:
Is there a rule that states you have to be able to get up? I'm genuinely curious

Good

It was absolute bullshit
No chance of getting that overturned. Dude was wriggling like strangled chicken, and was momentarily out when the referee stopped the fight.

Even Big John McCarthy stated that the fight should have been stopped sooner and that was the only mistake (something along those lines, watch Luke Thomas' post-show to get an exact statement). LOL

That appeal ain't going nowhere.

He shouldn't have gotten choked out like that.

He lost that fight all bullshit aside

Well, ask yourself "Why is a fight stopped when a fighter isn't intentionally defending themselves?"

In the case of strikes it is to avoid any further brain damage and injury to the fighter.

Well, in the case of a tight choke (his face was purple, we shouldn't have to argue that it was tight) I would make the argument that the fight should be stopped to avoid any further brain damage and injury to the fighter.

I realize this may not be the "Official" ruling of when to stop a fight, but I feel it should be.
Brain Damage does not occur until the fighter is unconscious. The color of his face was red not purple. That would be a horrible way to decide when to stop a fight.

photo.jpg

When the bell rings that means you go to the scorecards.
Not really. Wasn't it BJM that said the fight continues until the ref steps in (I think this was when cavewoman GDR punched Holly twice after the bell). The official time is called by the ref, not the bell.

it wasnt

that guy went out at least once, if not multiple times. he looked to be drifting in and out post fight, as well.

Don't give a fuck

Call it at the time or don't

Once again a bad fuck up. These guys are really brave to wanting to fight in an evironnement where anybody (comission,ref, judges...) could fuck up badly at any moment without any consequences for them but with what could be life changing consequences for the fighter.

No chance of getting that overturned. Dude was wriggling like strangled chicken, and was momentarily out when the referee stopped the fight.

Even Big John McCarthy stated that the fight should have been stopped sooner and that was the only mistake (something along those lines, watch Luke Thomas' post-show to get an exact statement). LOL

Should of been stopped? Sure
Was it stopped? No

Therefore it goes to a decision
Period

Back