Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Duterte Harry, Part 2: Jagged Alliances

Duterte Harry, Part 1: The rise of Duterte

---

No more war games

Duterte serves notice to US that Oct. 4-12 joint military exercises would be the last
By Genalyn Kabiling | September 30, 2016

President Duterte served notice to the United States (US) Wednesday night that the joint amphibious landing exercises with the Philippines set for October 4-12, 2016 would be the last between the two allies.

The Chief Executive announced this while addressing the Filipino community in Hanoi. But he assured that the Philippines would honor long-standing military treaties with the US but would no longer participate in future US-led sea patrols in the South China Sea to prevent antagonizing China.

“You are scheduled to hold war games again, which China does not want. I would serve notice to you now that this will be the last military exercise. Jointly, Philippines-US, the last one,” Duterte said.

“I’m serving notice now to the Americans and to those who are allies: I will maintain the military alliance because there is a PH-US pact which our countries signed in the early ’50s but I will establish new alliances for trade and commerce,” he added. Duterte was referring to the Mutual Defense Treaty signed by the Philippines and the US in 1951. Under the pact, the two allies would support each other in case one is under attack.

30_soldiers.jpg

“We’re not aware of any such decision,” said State Department Spokesman John Kirby when asked in a press briefing Wednesday (Washington time) if the US government has received any notification that the scheduled joint Philippine military and US Marines annual amphibious landing exercises will be the last.

Kirby stressed that the US government will continue to focus on its relationship with the Philippines and work together in many areas of mutual interest to help improve the livelihoods of the Filipinos and to uphold shared democratic values.

“Our relationship with the Philippines is broad and our alliance is one of the most enduring and important relationships in the Asia Pacific region,” he said in the media briefing a transcript of which was posted in the official website of the US State Department. “It has been a cornerstone of stability for over 70 years. It’s built on shared sacrifices for democracy and human rights, and strong people-to-people and societal ties, and obviously we’d like to see that to continue.”

STATEMENT DOWNPLAYED

National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. and Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay Jr. were quick to downplay the President’s pronouncement.

Esperon said the President could have mentioned suspending the country’s war games with the United States only for this year, not for his entire term.

“Ang pagkaintindi ko, it’s the last for the year. We will clarify,” Esperon told Manila-based reporters shortly after the President’s statement before the Filipino community.

Esperon explained the President’s strategy was moving toward the “demilitarization” of the area near the disputed South China Sea to avoid escalation of the tension.

Yasay, for his part, claimed that the President never declared putting an end to the joint military exercises with the US.

Yasay, in another media interview here, said the President merely repeated an earlier announcement that he would no longer allow the country to participate in joint sea patrols with another foreign nation in the South China Sea.

“What he said was that, as he said before, there will be no joint patrols with a gray ship of any nation in the South China Sea because that would be a provocative act,” he said.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is set to hold joint naval exercises with its US counterpart in Luzon next month. The war games involve amphibious landing exercise, live-fire training, and human civic assistance efforts.

http://www.mb.com.ph/no-more-war-games/#TzIbSX6sXidKqUCQ.99

Last edited:
So it is official the Philippines will cut diplomatic ties with the USA, @Arkain2K @steve38

It’s final, the Philippines will break ties w/ the US: “America has failed us” says Yasay

MANILA, Philippines – The United States has “failed” the Philippines, prompting President Rodrigo Duterte to break the country’s “shackling dependency” on its long-time ally, his foreign minister said Thursday.

Washington has for too long employed a “carrot and stick” approach “to force Filipinos into submission to American demands and interests,” Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay said in a statement entitled “America has failed us.”

Despite winning independence from the US in 1946, Yasay said Americans still regarded Filipinos as “little brown brothers not capable of true independence and freedom.”

“This is what PRRD (Duterte) is now trying to liberate us from,” he said.

“Breaking away from the shackling dependency of the Philippines to effectively address both internal and external security threats has become imperative in putting an end to our nation’s subservience to United States’ interests,” he said.

Duterte told US President Barack Obama this week to “go to hell,” the latest in a string of verbal attacks prompted by Washington’s criticism of his bloody war on drugs.

He has also signaled an end to war games, casting doubts on the future of the two countries’ military alliance.

The US is the Philippines’ only treaty ally. The 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty binds the two countries to “defend themselves against external armed attack.”

While criticizing the US, Duterte has signaled building ties with Washington’s foes Beijing and Moscow. This despite the Philippines and China sparring over the resource-rich South China Sea.

In spite of its alliance with the US, the Philippines remains “grossly incapable” of defending its territory, Yasay said.

“Worse is that our only ally could not give us the assurance that in taking a hard line towards the enforcement of our sovereignty rights under international law, it will promptly come to our defense under our existing military treaty and agreements,” he said.

He got to be insane I wonder how much money the Chinese have paid this dude.

So it is official the Philippines will cut diplomatic ties with the USA, @Arkain2K @steve38

It’s final, the Philippines will break ties w/ the US: “America has failed us” says Yasay

He got to be insane I wonder how much money the Chinese have paid this dude.

It's true though. The US has made it perfectly clear they won't fight China over the Philippines territorial claims.
Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that breaking ties with the US is going to get them anywhere with China either, and on their own they are just blowing in the wind.

Get out while you can!

Get out? Seriously where would I go?

I have been thinking about that this past few weeks but at the same time I realized I have no where to go.

Maybe get a boat to Vietnam? That is really Ironic since 45 years ago it is the Vietnamese who escaped communism in boats and arrived in the Philippines.

It's true though. The US has made it perfectly clear they won't fight China over the Philippines territorial claims.
Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that breaking ties with the US is going to get them anywhere with China either, and on their own they are just blowing in the wind.

We already know that US will not start a war with China just because of some chunk of rocks in the Philippines and for a good reason it is stupid to go to war for that purpose and I agree with that I don't like war so many Americans have already died in the Middle east so please no more war.

But what happens if the Chinese lost their minds and started claiming more territory and impose their so called 9 dash line and the Peoples Rebublic of Digong started recognizing China's claim that will put the Philippines against the western world in the event China wants to restrict shipping.

So for sure we will face UN embargo, heck Trump or Hillary may even drone strike some provinces if the Chinese started setting up bases inside the Philippines.

All that because the 16 Million Filipinos voted for Digong!

@ShinkanPo: Did you mean US embargo? There will be no UN embargo against China's will.

@ShinkanPo: Did you mean US embargo? There will be no UN embargo against China's will.

Yeah US embargo and UN embargo..

Hmmn The UN can embargo the Philippines I don't think the Chinese will stand up for us...

I have read a couple of post from retired Philippine Army and Navy posts in their forum they are showing discontent and with the Duterte Administration to these Soldiers the US Philippine Alliance is more than a treaty for them that Treaty is forged in blood when thoussands of Americans died in the Philippines trying to liberate it from Japan in World War 2.

To these Veterans they consider the American Soldiers buried in the American Cemetery in Manila as their brothers in Arms and that for the president to dishonor them is really painful for them.

One of them said that as Filipino soldier he can't give enough respect to the fallen American heroes who fought the Japanese in WW2 so that his country could be free again.

I guess there is certain honor among Soldiers it takes a different person to put ones self in harms way to fight for his country.

The Filipino soldier said "look at all the grave stones you see names names of American kids who died in the Philippines fighting against the Japanese, I am a soldier they are soldiers but why do I deserved to live and they don't"?

Thank you for their Service.

download

Duterte dares US, EU: Pull out aid to Philippines
By Alexis Romero (philstar.com)
October 6, 2016
03_duterte-gph2.jpg

In this Sept. 26, 2016 file photo, President Rodrigo Duterte presides over the meeting of the Philippine government and communist group National Democratic Front at Malacañan’s State Dining Room.

MANILA, Philippines — Go ahead, pull out your aid.

Saying that Filipinos are not beggars, President Rodrigo Duterte dared on Thursday the United States, the European Union and human right advocates to pull out their assistance to the Philippines, saying the country can survive without their help.

Duterte said the Philippines would not sacrifice dignity as a nation for aid from other countries who do not understand the seriousness of the drug problem.

"I do not expect the human rights (advocates), I do not expect (US President Barack) Obama. I do not expect the EU to understand me. Do not understand me and if you think it's high time for you guys to withdraw your assistance, go ahead. We will not beg for it," the president said in a speech delivered at Camp Rafael Rodriguez in Butuan City.

"We have a problem here trying to preserve our society and you mess up by (raising) human rights (issues). You threaten us using your assistance. How do you look at us? Mendicants?" he added.

Duterte said he is ready to uphold the integrity of the Philippines even if he dies of hunger.

"We will survive. Even if it's difficult, we will survive," the tough talking president said.

"I'll be the first one to go hungry. I'll be the first one to die of hunger. DO not worry. But we will never never compromise our dignity as Filipino," he added.

The US, EU, United Nations, and human rights groups have criticized Duterte for the alleged extrajudicial killings of drug suspects and have asked the president to uphold the rule of law at all times.

Duterte, however, viewed their statements as interference with the Philippines' affairs and assailed them for their supposed hypocrisy and failure to end atrocities in other parts of the world.

On Wednesday, Vice President Leni Robredo reminded Duterte not to hurl expletives at foreign leaders as it could affect diplomatic ties and cut the flow of assistance.

"I wish that he (Duterte) does not speak that way. It is a reminder not only to him but also to all public officials," Robredo said at a press conference.

Snapshot of the United States' assistance to the Philippines from 2008 to 2015, taken from the Congressional Research Service archived at the US Library of Congress. Philstar.com

"Foreign aid is a big help for us, and those are given to us because of the level of their (donors) trust and confidence in us. It is not something that we can do away with just like that because we worked hard to reach that certain level of comfort and trust," the vice president added.

Duterte, however, believes that the Philippines' survival is more important than "crumbs" from other countries.

"You choose: The crumbs of favor from other nations? Will we just rely on their assistance or we make a stand that this country has to survive, that this country must see to it that the next generation is protected?" the president said.

"Because if we don't interdict this evil of drugs, our children and our grandchildren… will be unfortunate," he added.

At the same event, Duterte assured policemen that they would not be jailed for doing their duty in his campaign against drugs.

"We have a problem and we want to end it during my time because somebody is here to protect you," he said.

"Just do your job. Don't be afraid. Now is the time to kill a criminal correctly."

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/10/06/1630967/duterte-dares-us-eu-pull-out-aid-philippines

Last edited:
Good posts...

There are now Coup plot rumors I think it is all made up by the communists just so they have a reason to declare martial law.

Taking out a page from Erdogan's play book!

I don't think any politician has ever made me this angry.

BTW Duterte's foreign policy behaviour is like a dude who desperately attempts suicide by cop but the cop won't shoot (yet).

I don't think any politician has ever made me this angry.

BTW Duterte's foreign policy behaviour is like a dude who desperately attempts suicide by cop but the cop won't shoot (yet).

Me too and as for me scared the shits out of me.. its like 5:30am here in Manila and I am still awake can't sleep I fear that the next day freedom and democracy is just history.

Russia/China or US/EU is the ultimate Giant Douche versus Turd Sandwich decision.

LMAO. Although there is a lot of tragedy occurring, that's hilarious.

Philippines' Duterte says China, Russia supportive when he complained of U.S

So I wonder what the Ruskies will bring to the table when Duterte makes a deal with them.

I do remember the meager assistance the Russians and Chinese brought to the table when typhoon Hayan wrecked the Philippines, and it ain't even worth mentioning.

Then again, looks like Duterte and his horde of brainless supporters have already completely forgotten everything the American people did for the Philippines from the carnage of World War II until now, and much rather excavagate ancient shit over a century ago instead to stoke the flame of modern anti-Americanism.

It's quite shameless, actually. I can't even think of another "ally" who are this antagonistic and ungrateful.

Last edited:
Back