Dutch Thai & Traditional muay thai - differences?

This guy has been upgraded to SUPREME DOUCHE BAG!!!

Who the fuck is this guy really? Some 49 year old fatass who lives in his mom's basement for sure. Anyone want to put a bet against that.

all those who believe in Ron Powell jr. being the Supreme Douchebag , upgrade your sig with below for 15 days !

Ron Powell jr. is the Supreme Douche Overlord of the Internet Douchebags....till the next one supplants him.

That really is fucking embarrassing what Ron did. I had no problem with RP jr. and was participating in that thread and then saw that he was outed and went to the Siam site and confirmed the guy in the video was the guy Ron was claiming to be. I went to check on the thread knowing it would get interesting and the thread was gone, so I checked Ron's post history and it was deleted... There really is no recovery from something like that, I assume he will register a new account to post in the Standup Forum now.

That really is fucking embarrassing what Ron did. I had no problem with RP jr. and was participating in that thread and then saw that he was outed and went to the Siam site and confirmed the guy in the video was the guy Ron was claiming to be. I went to check on the thread knowing it would get interesting and the thread was gone, so I checked Ron's post history and it was deleted... There really is no recovery from something like that, I assume he will register a new account to post in the Standup Forum now.

yeah i didnt mind him either.....but what do i know ?

Well, when you see someone telling that old fashioned Muay Thai is the only good striking art and saying that people from boxing, dutch kickboxing and karate simply don't get....you know who is back.

It seems like in European kickboxing there is more emphasis on evasive footwork and maneuvering around the ring, where in Thailand you just see the two fighters move towards each other and start smashing.

I agree, and from my experience, my opinion is that stems from 2 things.

1. The use of the clinch. In European rules kickboxing you must remain "active" when clinching, as in offensively active and you can't use elbows, get no points for trips or sweeps (actually get deducted points in Ammy rules). Vs. Thai rules the clinch offers far more options offensively with the use of elbows and they do award points for trips/sweeps and throws (not hip tossing) out of the clinch. Hence, the The thai clinch is much more strategic and requires you to fight for position and control both offensively and defensively in the clinch. The dutch or European rules the clinch is far more offensive (grab em, knee em, let em go) and they dont fight for position in the clinch, and now you have the new "overeem" rule, further limiting the clinch to only the use of 1 hand.......

2. The rings, the dutch fighters (K1 competitions) fight in rings that are much more like a boxing ring, in terms of ring construction. Basically, the ring construction makes the rings that the EU style fighters fight in much "springier"..... more like a boxing ring. Hence, your mobility is much greater, you can cover distance quicker and get a much faster "first step". In Thailand, most of the rings use a much heavier/thicker canvas, often they are made by using a bunch of tires (laid flat) with plywood on top, then covered with a thin layer of sand over the plywood, at which point they stretch the canvas over the top...... try bouncing around light on your feet on that shit.... I know that the first thing I noticed on my first trip to Thailand (and i learned kickboxing/MT in the EU) is that when i tried to move around the ring it felt like i was in sand...... it was waaaay slower. I trained with several guys from EU/Holland that fought in Lumpini stadium and said the same thing "the rings are much slower". Along with (in most cases) the thai fighters fight in smaller rings.

It all started by Kyokushin people, namely the two guys: Kenji (Taketoki) Kurosaki and Jon Bulming.

Bulming was primarily a judoka (a very good one), but was in love with Kyokushin Karate too. He neve made it in judo for the Olympics for all kinds of reasons, but under the direct guidance of Oyama, quickly became one of the very best karatekas in the world. He went back to Holland and continued to practice both Judo and Kyokushin Karate there. Two of his well-known pupils are Jan Kallenbach (who is more famous for his Taikiken now), and Jan Plas, who would come to Japan and meet Kurosaki, who was a colleague of Bulming. Kurosaki had visited Thailand and been shocked that his karate didn't work against Muay Thai as well as he had hoped, and just started studying Muay Thai/kickboxing. Plas was massively influenced by that, and would hold a Muay Thai/kickboxing event in Holland next year. And the rest is history.

Almost all the important Dutch figures in this business are under the influence of these people. I really don't see any exception in fact, and I guess an important thing to remember here is that Muay Thai/kickboxing did not come directly from Thailand to Holland. There was a Japanese filter there, at least originally.

This man speaks wisdom! Even if you did plagiarize that almost verbatim from the interview Allistair Overeem did with Micheal Chavello....... JK......kinda.... :icon_neut

P.S - TO ALL OF YOU READING THIS THREAD, IF YOU CAN FIND THE INTERVIEW (YOUTUBE OR OTHERWISE) THAT OVEREEM DID RECENTLY WITH CHAVELLO, HE GIVES A VERY DESCRIPTIVE ANSWER ON THE ORIGINS OF DUTCH MUAY THAI.....

not really , stance is something that rarely changes in a fight.

your style might change but not your stance.

HUH? K1 fighters often change their stance several times throughout a fight. Watch Tyrone Spong or Overeem, they switch stances constantly, Allistair does it constantly when he his stalking a guy who is circling along the ropes........

Further, changing your "style" but rarely changing your "stance"...... explain? :icon_conf I would say that if your changing your "style" your definitely adjusting or changing your stance..... not necessarily your lead SP/orth, but you would almost indefinitely adjust your stance if your adjusting your style.... fighting on the outside vs. in the pocket your stance changes......... right?

Nice Post sullivan. I found the exact same thing with the rings. A lot of amateur kickboxing orgs share rings/rent from the boxing orgs or vice versa. Going from a boxing ring to a solid base ring with thicker flooring in Thailand felt like running in sand.

ssullivan80;48780777]

HUH? K1 fighters often change their stance several times throughout a fight. Watch Tyrone Spong or Overeem, they switch stances constantly, Allistair does it constantly when he his stalking a guy who is circling along the ropes........

gtg but quickly : too many ppl point to exceptions to "prove" a rule.

Spong and Overeem are probably the only out of a good 30+ fighters in K1/K1 Max who switch leads.
Personally , i do to but we were talking about that in a different way , not orthodox or southpaw.

be back later to elaborate.

Spong and Overeem are probably the only out of a good 30+ fighters in K1/K1 Max who switch leads.
Personally , i do to but we were talking about that in a different way , not orthodox or southpaw.

Kaman switched sides.

I agree, switching leads is not something one should practice or get in the habit of doing until they have the experience to understand why and when it would be practical.

Truth be told, a whole lot of k1 fighters will periodically switch leads, and for a myriad of reasons..... like they are getting the dog shit pounded out of 1 leg, so they switch.... to avoid further damage. But it is not "typically" something that most fighters do unless it is for a very specific purpose........ and if ya aint good enough to understand the why and when it makes sense, then dont do it.

No need. I follow what you are saying. I just think that switching your stance is beneficial sometimes.

of course it is.

i do it too.

Doesnt mean its benificial to everybody. It just means it is , to some.

Back