Dutch Thai & Traditional muay thai - differences?

Who the hell stands in the one 'style' for an entire fight/spar?
Sometimes you want to stand tall, at other times you stance is deep.
All depends on what's happening at the moment.

here a question for you. You see a few Dutch fighters with a very deep stance , leaving themselves open for the inside legkick , yet u rarely see them attacked with it.
Like Andy Souwer for instance . Everytime i see him i expect someone to do that yet it never happens.
Why is that ? what are they doing that i dont know ?
It's funny that you take Souwer as an example because 1,5 years ago I talked with Souwer's original trainer about this. He told me that Souwer was a fighter who sometimes would fight twice a weekend just to gain experience. From the beginning Souwer was taught to have the mentality to take 2, maybe 3 shots to deal out 3 or 4. This is something you still see in his recent fights. Always moving forward, keeping the pressure up.

That is the reason that he and Holzken for example don't get countered. They are trained for 3x3 minutes, always moving forward. With the pressure they put on it really hard to backpedal and launch the inside leg kick. Plus they know it's the weakness in their game and are fully prepared to move with the kick when it's thrown.

Who the hell stands in the one 'style' for an entire fight/spar?
Sometimes you want to stand tall, at other times you stance is deep.
All depends on what's happening at the moment.

not really , stance is something that rarely changes in a fight.

your style might change but not your stance.

It's funny that you take Souwer as an example because 1,5 years ago I talked with Souwer's original trainer about this. He told me that Souwer was a fighter who sometimes would fight twice a weekend just to gain experience. From the beginning Souwer was taught to have the mentality to take 2, maybe 3 shots to deal out 3 or 4. This is something you still see in his recent fights. Always moving forward, keeping the pressure up.

That is the reason that he and Holzken for example don't get countered. They are trained for 3x3 minutes, always moving forward. With the pressure they put on it really hard to backpedal and launch the inside leg kick. Plus they know it's the weakness in their game and are fully prepared to move with the kick when it's thrown.

wow ...that makes perfect sense.

anything else he told you ?

what about why he never throws a body kick ? actually most Dutch fighters dont but u see Hesdy Gerges just smash that left body kick in.

OT: Anyone know where the "My thoughts on Dutch MT" thread went?

It was getting interesting and I want to know the truth dammit.

OT: Anyone know where the "My thoughts on Dutch MT" thread went?

It was getting interesting and I want to know the truth dammit.

That Ron Powell guy is a platinum member, can they delete their threads? Just in case anyone doesn't know what we are talking about, Ron Powell Jr made a thread about why he thinks the dutch style is inferior to the thai style and takes less skill. He said he had trained in the top dutch gyms and trained in thailand, also claimed he was an amateur fighter. He then proceeded to post a video that he claimed was him doing thai style padwork . Turns out he wasn't the guy in the video and the real guys students came on and questioned him.

That Ron Powell guy is a platinum member, can they delete their threads? Just in case anyone doesn't know what we are talking about, Ron Powell Jr made a thread about why he thinks the dutch style is inferior to the thai style and takes less skill. He said he had trained in the top dutch gyms and trained in thailand, also claimed he was an amateur fighter. He then proceeded to post a video that he claimed was him doing thai style padwork . Turns out he wasn't the guy in the video and the real guys students came on and questioned him.

i can testify for that.

Me n someone else kinda ripped on that video , cuz it showed nothing he was yapping about (speed , superb boxing) in fact it was just some video of some guy just slowly hitting the pads (hopefully as a warmup/cooldown).
Ron Powell goes on saying yea yea i know . Some guy said " heavy kicks" n Ron Powell accepted it n said thanks.
So none of this bullshit that "oh i never said it was me !".

the guy whose video it actually is , and another guy from the same club, PMed me and sounded right pissed off about getting ripped off by some clown.

Oh n btw , Ron Powell jr. claimed this was at "Master" Toddy's when its actually Siam Boxing gym.

Way to go Sherdog !!!
Keep a Platinum Member who's embarrassing sherdog members as a dork in his mom's basement ,claiming to be a 7th level Grand Wizard....and a Thai-style Muay Thai expert, but dont forget to yellow card long time members for posting in the wrong section or for misconceptions !

^^^ Many thanks for that guys.
It's like something from a bad movie lol.

i can testify for that.

Me n someone else kinda ripped on that video , cuz it showed nothing he was yapping about (speed , superb boxing) in fact it was just some video of some guy just slowly hitting the pads (hopefully as a warmup/cooldown).
Ron Powell goes on saying yea yea i know . Some guy said " heavy kicks" n Ron Powell accepted it n said thanks.
So none of this bullshit that "oh i never said it was me !".

the guy whose video it actually is , and another guy from the same club, PMed me and sounded right pissed off about getting ripped off by some clown.

Oh n btw , Ron Powell jr. claimed this was at "Master" Toddy's when its actually Siam Boxing gym.

Way to go Sherdog !!!
Keep a Platinum Member who's embarrassing sherdog members as a dork in his mom's basement ,claiming to be a 7th level Grand Wizard....and a Thai-style Muay Thai expert, but dont forget to yellow card long time members for posting in the wrong section or for misconceptions !

Holy shit! I just checked my post history and that thread IS GONE! I ripped on that douche for three pages and it turns out that his video wasn't even him!? WHAT A DOUCHE! For everyone else reading along, Ron Powell Jr. said that he trained with Hoost, Carbin, Kaman, trained in Holland, Japan and was on his way to Thailand, said that he trained Dutch Kickboxing for two years and then switched to PURE Muay Thai for the last three... and he faked it!?!

WHAT A DOUCHE!

Nutz, I am in awe of the douchebagedness of RON POWELL Jr. I really wish that someone didn't erase that thread.

WOW.

Holy shit! I just checked my post history and that thread IS GONE! I ripped on that douche for three pages and it turns out that his video wasn't even him!? WHAT A DOUCHE! For everyone else reading along, Ron Powell Jr. said that he trained with Hoost, Carbin, Kaman, trained in Holland, Japan and was on his way to Thailand, said that he trained Dutch Kickboxing for two years and then switched to PURE Muay Thai for the last three... and he faked it!?!

WHAT A DOUCHE!

Nutz, I am in awe of the douchebagedness of RON POWELL Jr. I really wish that someone didn't erase that thread.

WOW.

im surprised how many ppl think im a prick when the reason for my prickedness (!) is that i know 90% of these guys are like Ron Powell.

also , why am i not surprised that it was "thai" Muay thai nuthugger that got outed like this ?

Simply put , this is like those kung fu nuthuggers who go around saying Kung fu taught in the west isnt real kung fu but theres this old man in China.....

If you're a MT-nuthugger , of course you're gonna say Jappa-MT or Dutch style is crap, regardless of proof.
Now there's this old man in Thailand....

Ps- fuckhead didnt get banned but he my as well be.

anybody seeing his posts are just going to laugh him out of the thread.

im surprised how many ppl think im a prick when the reason for my prickedness (!) is that i know 90% of these guys are like Ron Powell.

also , why am i not surprised that it was "thai" Muay thai nuthugger that got outed like this ?

Simply put , this is like those kung fu nuthuggers who go around saying Kung fu taught in the west isnt real kung fu but theres this old man in China.....

If you're a MT-nuthugger , of course you're gonna say Jappa-MT or Dutch style is crap, regardless of proof.
Now there's this old man in Thailand....

Ps- fuckhead didnt get banned but he my as well be.

anybody seeing his posts are just going to laugh him out of the thread.

OMG!! I just read the truth about this Ron Powell guy. I didnt know it turned out to be someone else's video. Wat a douchebag.
Damn, there sure are some fake f#ckers here on Sherdog.

tumblr_lco2viTbWZ1qz7ztxo1_400.gif

Has Sherdog just turned into Bullshido.net?

Can't deny I love it. :icon_lol:

How the hell did he erase a thread? Can a platinum member just do that?

Ron Powell jr has lost ALL credibility here. He has gone into hiding. He even took don't that stupid ass avatar of his. I think that it was a picture of his mother in grade school or something.

Hollandrules diced him up a few times in that thread too.

I can't say this enough...

WHAT A DOUCHE!

You can find most of the thread on google, the pages are cached. Some gems from it were

"it's all a bunch of preset punch and kick combos, there's no real ring-sense when it comes to fighting with kicks and knees, only punches, it doesn't teach you to think on your feet and react to your opponent like in Muay Thai."

"Honestly i could've been worlds better in boxing if i had just joined a good ol American boxing gym instead. Take out the shitty half-ass kicks/knees and just box, that's basically what dutch kickboxing is, boxing."

He also talks about him spending time at Vos gym, FFS, and mikes gym.

"Yeah, new breed of dutch fighters suck"

Also when talking about the video he posted of "him" this is what he said
"For what it's worth, the vid is pretty old, i'm better now. Workin at it everyday, in fact i have an extended trip to Kaewsamrit, Chuwatanna (both hand heavy gyms with former olympic and pro boxing champs) and 13 coins in Thailand coming up this summer, OIIIY. "

+ Juan on Exploding Head.

Ron?

Last edited:
Ron will do one of three things:
A) Not respond at all
B) Give a long winded explanation/apology
C) Post a response dismissing this whole ordeal

Let's see what happens...

I think this calls for an attention ron powell Jr thread he's posted a lot in stand up forum along with his other name pinoy badboy.

along with his other name pinoy badboy.
lol wtf?
This just keeps getting better.

Shouldn't Pinoy be a Phillipino dude?

Back