Dustin Poirier should say F*ck it and get back to 145

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Lose the muscle and get back to FW. I think to this day, he still has a powerful style to whoop Max again.

He has the height, reach, power, grappling, size, and endurance. His striking may also be just as good if not better. Come on Diamond.

The exact reason he went to 155 was because the 145 cut left him drained. He's looked better at 155, frankly.

I think that he can be competitive at either weight, provided he stays calm and focused. However, I'm against him dehydrating/starving himself to death to make 145.

I like him at 155. He is a nice looking strapping lad with the extra 10lbs.

The exact reason he went to 155 was because the 145 cut left him drained. He's looked better at 155, frankly.

Yeah, he was an absolute enormous FW. Probably one of the few guys at FW that was actually slightly bigger than Conor.

Poirier is a very good fighter but not a contender level fighter. Poirier lost a clear decision to Cub and Korean Zombie beat Poirier in a war where it was clear who the better man was.

He'd lose to Edgar too, he'd get KOd by Aldo, he'd most likely lose to Mendes when he returns. I'm sure Poirier vs Lamas or Bermudez would be competitive good fights though which he could win. No telling how Poirier would do vs the new breed coming up in Bektic, Allen, Yair, Choi, Knight, Ortega etc.

But when Holloway fought Poirier it was on 2 weeks notice, it was Holloway's UFC debut and he was 19 years old. If you remember the fight Max rocked Poirier with a knee that led to Poirier panic wrestling. This time around, Poirier would have close to no chance at beating Max or even getting a takedown.

For sure. He was doing very well against Alvarez and handled Duffy and other decent LW fighters.

Maybe he doesn't like using foul language.

Poirier is a very good fighter but not a contender level fighter. Poirier lost a clear decision to Cub and Korean Zombie beat Poirier in a war where it was clear who the better man was.

He'd lose to Edgar too, he'd get KOd by Aldo, he'd most likely lose to Mendes when he returns. I'm sure Poirier vs Lamas or Bermudez would be competitive good fights though which he could win. No telling how Poirier would do vs the new breed coming up in Bektic, Allen, Yair, Choi, Knight, Ortega etc.

But when Holloway fought Poirier it was on 2 weeks notice, it was Holloway's UFC debut and he was 19 years old. If you remember the fight Max rocked Poirier with a knee that led to Poirier panic wrestling. This time around, Poirier would have close to no chance at beating Max or even getting a takedown.
I actually think he fits in to the lower top ten at either 145 or 155. He's pretty talented and well rounded but not quite great at anything and has no one key physical advantage.

KZ was a savage and the Swanson loss was on two weeks notice as well. If I remember correctly, Poirier came in on short notice to fill in for Siver. Edgar got badly hurt and had issues with Stephens of all people, Poirier is great everywhere and good possibly beat Edgar. Aldo would work him, not KO. Poirier would finish Lamas or Bermudez. All those other young guys you mentioned would get starched by Poirier in the 1st no problem.

The Holloway fight was years ago, but you can't use Holloway being 20 (not 19) as an excuse. Poirier was only 22-23 at the time also. Max made his MMA debut in like 2010, Dustin had his in 2009. Regardless, he still has a style that would give Holloway issues. He wouldn't be able to back Poirier up and would have to trade with Dustin.

I actually think he fits in to the lower top ten at either 145 or 155. He's pretty talented and well rounded but not quite great at anything and has no one key physical advantage.

He's top 10 at LW, top 4 at FW ( he was ranked #4 prior to fighting Conor)

Actually, there was a fight to decide who would face Aldo next and someone pulled out. Dustin stepped in and won that fight. I still don't know why they didn't give him the title shot after that. I believe it was his first fight in the UFC

Actually, there was a fight to decide who would face Aldo next and someone pulled out. Dustin stepped in and won that fight. I still don't know why they didn't give him the title shot after that. I believe it was his first fight in the UFC

It was Josh Grispi, they really thought Grispi was the next big thing at 145lbs and were shocked Poirier beat him, it wasn't supposed to happen. Funny huh? Grispi turned out to be shit and is now in Prison.

Porier should move on and keep fighting. Eddie Alvarez will be begging for a fight with him soon enough because he already had trouble finding a fight before.

Back