Dustin Poirier: Eddie Alvarez turned down rematch for UFC 223.

Well, on that premise alone, he should be considered over Eddie for a title shot, although I assume Eddie isn't even on the table as a potential opponent.

I imagine it's between Poirier and the winner of Lee/Barboza and I imagine they will fight Poirier for the #1 contender match, should Lee win. I don't think they will put Barboza back in there without a big win streak.

It seems Alvarez has been ducking that rematch like the plague.

I think Dustin would sleep him this time.

Obviously wedgie alvaro doesn't want poirier again; he was fortunate to escape with his consciousness the first time around. He'd be hard pressed to catch lightning in a bottle again.

Eddie probably is vying for that title shot and skipping a risking fight in Dustin in the process - I don't blame him but yeah it contradicts that warrior code thing or whatever

There is an interesting 3-man race between Alvarez/Poirier/Lee for the next title shot going on.

IMO Poirier has the strongest claim to it at the moment.

Last edited:
Eddie won the fight officially he doesnt care that its from a technicality. Hes kinda 2faced, he avoided Khabib after winning the Belt, he was asked if Khabib should get the shot and he was down talking his record while himself being 2-1 with 2 split decisions, he says Porior quit that he wanted out because for him its fine to get by him on a technicality and now that Khabib is champ he is his kryptnotie hahah sure Eddie Twofacevarez

Eddie wants none of Porier.

He's basically hoping for another fluke title shot, so he can win another fluke belt. At no point in his run have I thought he was a top 5 talent at LW.

Silly to still not put Porier X Gaethje on that card

We would have ended up with either Porier X Khabib or Gaethje X Khabib
Both much better choices than Ragin Al

I wouldnt mind Poirier fighting for the belt next, i hate seeing top contenders eliminate each other all the time, he has been entertaining AF lately, and imo was on his way to beat Alvarez back then, Rematch wasnt done when it made sense, now Poirier put another performance bonus win, he could fight Khabib next.

Eddie won the fight officially...

tenor.gif

Eddie wants none of Porier.

He's basically hoping for another fluke title shot, so he can win another fluke belt. At no point in his run have I thought he was a top 5 talent at LW.

Let's not get carried away here.

Poirier got the stoppage on gaethje but he didn't look impressive at all leading up to It.

Eddie is the superior fighter, by far.

His last fight was prob one of the best versions of him we've seen.

It was ruled a No Contest.
Yes but Eddie moved up while Dustin fell down in the Rankings, it doesnt matter if they made it a no contest later, its about who moves up and who moves down.

Let's not get carried away here.

Poirier got the stoppage on gaethje but he didn't look impressive at all leading up to It.

Eddie is the superior fighter, by far.

His last fight was prob one of the best versions of him we've seen.

Poirier beat that ass easy.

It's a tough fight for Alvarez. The first fight was a war and he came real close to losing. He doesn't want any part of the rematch right now because he's close to a title shot, and he knows if he loses he'll be pushed to the back of the line again.

Eddie was told to stay ready in case Tony or Khabib pulled out. Why would he sign a fight that would jeopardize his ability to fill in?

Back