Dustin poirier calls for 165 belt @UFC 230

A 165 and a 170 lb title? Sooo, basically the same guy will be holding 2 belts at once most of the time.

A lot of fighters have begged for this division but these two are an odd choice, especially Porier considering he managed to fight at 145 so he can't be in too deep at 155. Nate I'm not sure considering he's a pretty big LW but hasn't had problems because of the Diaz's discipline.

They created an entire division for one fighter so them doing something like this isn't out of the question at this point.

Yeah if everyone wanted the division and they created it before announcing the fights then that's one thing. Doing it for the sake of a main event is another imho. But if people actually want it then so be it. Just seems silly to me.

Poirier wants to be handed a belt to get paid more. What a surprise. Maybe they will create an interim belt for him.

UFC_Interim_Belt.jpg

165 lb Tournament pls if these fighters want that division so bad

So were just making up weight classes now? and Instant title shots in said made up division? Knowing what the UFC has become I wouldnt even doubt if this happens.

Weight-classes shouldn't be created for the sake of having a main event. Just make it a 5-rounder, everyone wants it.
In general I agree but I also think that they need more weight classes between 155-185. 15lbs is a big jump. Splitting 170 into 165/175 makes a lot of sense.

Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) already has plans to move to a 10% rehydration limit starting Jan 1st which all the boxing sanctioning bodies with abide by, because the Ali Act allows them to make such a change. California already has a 10 point plan which introduced these new weight classes(165, 175, 195 and 225) back in June. It's going to happen.

Especially come January because when MMA fighters start missing weight(nothing new) after extreme cuts the media will be able to point to boxing and also the addition of these new weight classes and rub it in some, which WME will not want when UFC starts airing on ESPN.

How about we delete every title below 155 instead?

165 is so close to 170.

Then we'd need a 160 for the guys closer to 155.

I know it sounds weird but.. 162?

Please God, no. Don’t turn this into boxing. With that mentality in 20 years UFC weight classes will look like 157.5, 161.75, 164.3574, etc.

I hate this idea, I want less divisions not more! There's already too many fighters moving up and down divisions, adding another is just going to make it one giant cluster fuck. Mcgregor fought at 145 and 170... Do you really want to see fighters fight in 4 divisions? Shit is ridiculous.

Yeah if everyone wanted the division and they created it before announcing the fights then that's one thing. Doing it for the sake of a main event is another imho. But if people actually want it then so be it. Just seems silly to me.
I honestly don't want the division at all and think it would be dumb to create this I'm just saying sadly at this point for Dustin to ask for this isn't insane as it should be.

Last thing the UFC needs is more weight classes.

Maybe. But lets just invent one LOL.. Book Jones/Gus 2 quickly for some interim BS..

Given there is just a little over 5 weeks before the event, I don’t think it is very likely that fight will be made. Unless there was already a contract signed before the end of jones suspension i doubt either Jon, or Gus would be willing to accept such a dangerous fight on such short notice. If I’m correct, and they need a title fight then, unfortunately i think the UFCs likely only option is to create a new division. I could be wrong, I’ve been wrong before.

165 is so close to 170.

Then we'd need a 160 for the guys closer to 155.

I know it sounds weird but.. 162?
Agree 162, 170, 177,185,192,205, HW I know it sounds like a lot, but look at all the fighters missing weight, holding up division, I'd rather have fighters at their proper weight then draining themselves. RDA is a great example too big for 155 slightly too small at 170. Put him at 162 He might be champ

Belts nowadays seem so irrelevant and pointless. I don't give a shit about them, just make good fights we want to see.

California already has a 10 point plan which introduced these new weight classes(165, 175, 195 and 225) back in June. It's going to happen.
I'm inclined to agree that some or all of these new weight classes might well be added to the UFC structure in the next few months.

They CLEARLY like making interim belts.... so.....it follows that they'd be in favor of more weight classes, more champions, more 'real' belts.
They can dress it up as "we're doing it cos we're very concerned about extreme weight-cutting" but in reality they just want more belts and more champs.

Let's thin the UFC even more for the sake of having a new toy belt that way they can claim they are the best at dodging WWs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back