Dustin Poirier and RDA.. fighters who mentally not giving up after loses...

Bumblebeef

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I’m really impressed by those fighters... because both had hard losses in the past but these fighters kept going and never gave up. Many other fighters would mentally break like Pettis, Aldo or Michael Johnson.

I think the upcoming family was a huge motivation for Dustin Poirier, he has a sweet daughter.
Dustin Poirier is a much better fighter now.

I like to see fighters in the UFC like that because they show how life works. U loose but u keep working and keep going.

Aldo? When did Poirier or RDA last spend 10 years at the top, with 7 defenses.

Aldo? When did Poirier or RDA last spend 10 years at the top?

Aldo is a top Fighter and I think his legacy is bigger than McGregor... but McGregor broke him mentally IMO and that’s even harder when u stay 10 years on the top...

Many fighters overcame adversity and deserve mention over these dudes

This fan mentality that a fighter cant lose is ridiculous

Aldo? When did Poirier or RDA last spend 10 years at the top?
I wouldn't place Aldo on that list (he had an amazing performance against Edgar after the Conor loss), but I get TS' point that's about breaking AFTER a loss.

Aldo is a top Fighter and I think his legacy is bigger than that f on McGregor... but McGregor broke him mentally IMO and that’s even harder when u stay 10 years on the top...
Did he break mentally or did age or longevity catch up?

Aldo is a top Fighter and I think his legacy is bigger than that f on McGregor... but McGregor broke him mentally IMO and that’s even harder when u stay 10 years on the top...
Broke him mentally? He hit him twice!?

Aldo was about to lose to KZ. His time was done. I give Conor all the credit for that performance vs Floyd. He did great

Frank Mir and Alistair Overeem have had like nine lives in the sport.

Randy Couture deserves a mention too.

I wouldn't place Aldo on that list (he had an amazing performance against Edgar after the Conor loss), but I get TS' point that's about breaking AFTER a loss.

Ok u have a point

Rda has been doing it since day 1 in the ufx. He debuted by being on the receiving end of one of the biggest highlight reel uppercuts in MMA history, then got UD'd in his second outing. Its shit like this that pisses me off when people here talk in absolutes like fighter x will never be champion after a single loss. And it happens all the time, guys written off cause they lose a fight as if they could never hope to improve.

I’m really impressed by those fighters... because both had hard losses in the past but these fighters kept going and never gave up. Many other fighters would mentally break like Pettis, Aldo or Michael Johnson.

I think the upcoming family was a huge motivation for Dustin Poirier, he has a sweet daughter.
Dustin Poirier is a much better fighter now.

I like to see fighters in the UFC like that because they show how life works. U loose but u keep working and keep going.
He changed after conor beat him. He lost the chip on his shoulder

Perhaps you weren't watching and to be fair I only watched it live and never again but I would agree. KZ was looking great and starting to find his grove when he got injured. Aldo only tends to slow in the later rounds so yes, I would say there is a good chance he was going to lose.
Not sure he should be on this list. GSP used his loss to ignite a fire. Which turned into a smolder but still...

Weight class changes helped Poirier and RDA, more fighters need to do this Masvidal and both Cowboys look better at new weight classes also. I forgot Whittaker lost to Wonderboy moved up and became champ

Arlovski goes on great runs and then on a KO loss run and repeat and then takes fights with dangerous heavy handed prospects

Lawler for sure. He went through so many wars losses and then came back and surprised everyone

Perhaps you weren't watching and to be fair I only watched it live and never again but I would agree. KZ was looking great and starting to find his grove when he got injured. Aldo only tends to slow in the later rounds so yes, I would say there is a good chance he was going to lose.
Not sure he should be on this list. GSP used his loss to ignite a fire. Which turned into a smolder but still...

I did watch it and Aldo was three rounds ahead. I wasn't convinced at all that KZ would have finished him.

Aldo had more difficult fight with Lamas as he needed to rest the final round and Mendes was a war. More than anything Aldo was always getting injured during the final years of his title reign and that became a problem. Still managed to beat Edgar who is a bad matchup for anyone so yeah Jose doesn't belong here.

Aldo is a top Fighter and I think his legacy is bigger than McGregor... but McGregor broke him mentally IMO and that’s even harder when u stay 10 years on the top...

McGregor didn't broke him mentally, I don't believe that.

Aldo put a clinic against Frankie just after that.

Then he lost to a much younger and bigger Holloway (and Aldo still made it competitive in the first 2 rounds). Holloway is a monster.

Back