Dungeons and Dragons v5 Just released.

omg, this dude has some serious teeth marks in his pillow.

"It speaks to the feeling I get that there’s a growing trend in gaming communities to be less bombastic, less homophobic, less chauvinistic, and more socially aware. Coming from a game that used to give statistical penalties for playing as a female character, the game is now asking the players to think critically about things like gender."

get the fuck out of here with this shit.

I never even heard anything about gays one way or the other and fairies had some special abilities.

now i see that this 5th edition is just more crap for sissies like this writer.
females got a strength penalty because they are WOMEN, blame nature

thinking critically about playing a gender??? "yeah, i am a female black elf and i look like grace jones from conan and i am gonna milk shake the hobgoblins over there and distract them so you can sneak up behind them and give them a good rogering"

I played back when it was TSR and there were only 1 edtion rules and we liked it. the churchy people would try to say we are worshiping the devil and made that Mazes and Monsters propaganda film with tom hanks. that made us only want to play it more.

now some hipster fruit baskets want to criticize what we were doing when we were playing this shit for real when it took a brain to DM????

I want to be a dark elf/mage/fighter/cleric with bladed weapons oh and i have psionics and 3 boobs and both sets of genitalia and i fart a rainbow and my twin freduaredo farts a rainbow and together we have double rainbows"

well, fuck that

Now i am reminded of how Michael Bay has repeatedly raped my childhood.

If the social justice warriors invade DnD I'll lose it.

I ran a Pathfinder module the other week which featured a lesbian couple as NPCs- the text referred to them as one another's "wives" :rolleyes:

I know this isn't strictly the middle ages, its fantasy, but that kindof thing really screws up the vibe of trying to imagine a feudal society.

What's makes role playing so great is nothing is set in stone. If your gaming groups wants to house rule something then do it. You can make your world as close to medieval times or as far fetched and fantastical as you want. The rule book is just a baseline and a suggestion. You can make your character be and act however you want. There was nothing stopping you from playing a gay or transgendered character before if you wanted and there is nothing making you add anything to your game you don't want.

Role playing is a uniquely individual experience and each gaming group had thier own identity and leanings. Even if you follow a premade module, you are free to change and add anything you want. Role playing is all about choices and freedom. The new d&d is not forcing you to do anything you don't want to. It's just more explicit and open about the actual role playing aspect and less on the number crunching mechanics.

Just got the PHB and HotDQ in the mail today. FUCK YES

I ran a Pathfinder module the other week which featured a lesbian couple as NPCs- the text referred to them as one another's "wives" :rolleyes:

I know this isn't strictly the middle ages, its fantasy, but that kindof thing really screws up the vibe of trying to imagine a feudal society.
Just flip it, then. You know what your group like.

When running Lot5R's set City of Lies, our group of players was all male (meaning that a sexist society wouldn't cramp anybody's playstyle in the same way), and we wanted a stronger feudal Japan vibe with less fantasy elements and more focus on various forms of social inequality. I changed the gender of every female NPC holding a traditional male role (replacing a few relationships with clandestine homosexual relationships instead), and it worked very well.

When a game doesn't have any ambitions of realism or historicity, I'd prefer them to start out inclusive out of the box, and then leave it to the users to change what they like, rather than the other way around. It's not that big of a deal to me either way, but if you play a fantasy game with female players, putting gender-based restrictions on their escapism just seems kind of unneccesary.
my ears cannot handle so much misogyny. please think of the children
I can't help but notice your total lack of an argument.

Brings back memories. With a couple fun creative people this is just a blast.

Talking dragons and fire slinging wizards are totally fine, but a women being able to hold her own in melee combat is crossing the line?

Depends on the race.

Drow Elf females for instance, are bigger and stronger than the males and the modifiers are different. Surface Elves are equal, etc etc

but if you play a fantasy game with female players, putting gender-based restrictions on their escapism just seems kind of unneccesary.
I can't help but notice your total lack of an argument.

"I can't help but notice your total lack of an argument" it was just a joke from the simpsons

"putting gender-based restrictions"
- well i would oppose this. I would say that a paladin should have to be a human and lawful good. i would say an assassin must be chaotic evil. i say that halfling/dwarves/elves should all get minuses as well as plusses, while male humans are just normal.

D&D is not about anyone can be everything. it is about getting together with a group of friends and having your combination being good.
why even have elf or human or male or female if it is just ascetic?

it is fantasy but it is based on reality. men are better at some things/more physically equipped and women might be better equipped in other things

that is the cool thing. every race or gender can be different with bonuses and handicaps but overall they are all equal.

how about we just make shit like this and if you want to nerf it for WWC little shits, you do it there?

Darn...took the free shipping option with Amazon....

expected to arrive NEXT thursday. weep

I dunno. I started at 2nd, and it was gone by then.

Think it was an optional rule in some source book IIRC.

Never utilized it in my game, the one chick that played with us had two female characters, a ranger and a fighter.

Her husband's mute gnome illusionist is probably my favorite PC of any TTRPG I've ever played/DM/GM though.

Has anyone tried that free starter set?

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

At the bottom of the page you can download the players book and DM book as pdf for free.
It includes an adventure for players level 1-5 I think.

I have never played tabletop RPGs, but they have always seemed interesting

2nd edition is the GOAT of DnD engines, imo.

Errybody in this thread should give AGOT's tabletop a go though, it's pretty great.
The 2nd edition was great because they took the original, which was fine but limited, and added all the best stuff from Dragon Magazine;. it was all play tested stuff that came from player suggestions and articles published in the magazine by Gygax and others (which formerly was the main source of income for them, ironically) before it was incorporated into the 2nd edition. The game was so easily expanded upon back then and through the medium of the magazine, open to interpretation and re-interpretation with feedback getting space in the next issue. It produced greatness. I didn't like 3rd edition nearly as much and it seemed like it killed my interest and that of my friends, frankly; it seemed to detract from the role playing for me by making everything a mechanical process of finding the best exploit - anybody remember the elven rogue magic user with dual wield and 20 dex who could fuck up absolutely anybody or anything? Perhaps that's not the game's fault and that it's my problem. Dunno but I'd as soon play 2nd Ed. any day, thank you.

Incidentally, for nerd cred, I will, upon request, happily display pics of my original Monster Manual and Fiend Folio.

I think I should also add, in my stoned love for all things Dungeons and Dragons, let it be remembered that Gygax created perhaps the first beta test, Dungeons and Dragons, before the game as we know it now, Advanced D&D came about. I'm sure, in a sense everyone knows about this but I'm not sure people who haven't played it can really appreciate what an interesting game the original was despite its shortcomings, and yet what an incredible upgrade Advanced D&D was from the player point of view. It was like going from Windows 3 to Windows XP (the most successful of them all iirc).

Havent played any D&D since 2ed.. :/

I got to DM once, and unlike our regular DM I let the players make characters with evil alignment(so more like RL). It was a clusterfuck. After a heist gone wrong everybody but one was put in jail. Being too mouthy and "we're the protagonist"-y got everybody jailed raped. The one who escaped eventually got them out, but got all of them to sign debt letters of 3000 gold pieces per head before he sprung them out. He was having too much fun on their expense about the whole man-love thing so they actually paid some mercenaries to ambush and rape him back with a half-orc. I rolled 1D4-3 in dmg per thrust. Then they paid back their debts in 3000 GP worth of chickens, nails, etc.
I didnt get to DM no more after that :/
Sounds like you played with a bunch of snotty bastards. That sounded great to me. You should have a blow off steam type of night every now and again where everyone gets to act the opposite of how they normally role play to keep from feeling stifled. Guest DM'ing is actually a great idea and I have done that from time to time. I DM'ed full time for a bit but I found I'm just not organized enough to keep it going on a regular basis, plus it's a lot of work if you want it to be a good game that everyone can enjoy, including you.

Sounds like you played with a bunch of snotty bastards. That sounded great to me. You should have a blow off steam type of night every now and again where everyone gets to act the opposite of how they normally role play to keep from feeling stifled. Guest DM'ing is actually a great idea and I have done that from time to time. I DM'ed full time for a bit but I found I'm just not organized enough to keep it going on a regular basis, plus it's a lot of work if you want it to be a good game that everyone can enjoy, including you.
About this:
I once wrote a module where there had been an earthquake or some such and the ground had opened up over a lay line and wild magic was literally spewing up into the atmosphere and all sorts of shit was going down, massive ships popping into existence in the middle of the forest, ditto Wayne Gretzgy in full uniform ready to play, and so on. The team was tasked with getting to the source and blocking it. It was a hoot. I had a room inhabited by a pseudo-intellectual and they had to make a saving throw or be mesmerized into wanting to listen to it for hours.

Edit: sorry, should have used multi-quote but these things all occurred to me after I posted.

Sounds like fun to me. You gotta mix it up and have some imagination, that's the whole point of stuff like that. I love fantasy stuff but anything involving other people often sucks. Everyone wants to play the most min-maxed timmy bullshit and suck all the fun out of it. Part of why I don't play MTG anymore, other than it being so expensive. I want to play something fun but some guy always has some douche "I just win the game now" combo, or super aggro kill you in 3 turns bullshit. Where's the fun in that?

Anyway some of the most fun I've had is playing Divinity, Baldur's Gate, and Icewind dale with friends. We each roll half the characters and make a complimentary team. So fun:

"Holy shit that's a bunch of Umber Hulks in the next room. My cleric will buff everyone, my mage will summon some cannon fodder, and your Monk and Paladin will charge in after I throw some fireballs in there"

48c4d2a94da5b21588afafdaef9bdd40c94b0593f4584572107dc8f24edd7827.jpg

Immortan Joe knows.

Man, I am 15 again.
So much of my youth spent playing that game.

See, the funny thing is, I don't actually remember playing much pen and paper D&D. I remember rolling characters and arguing about the rules, but actually playing? Maybe half an hour at most. Total.

I had all the boxed sets, too. Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun.

See, the funny thing is, I don't actually remember playing much pen and paper D&D. I remember rolling characters and arguing about the rules, but actually playing? Maybe half an hour at most. Total.

I had all the boxed sets, too. Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun.
Dark Sun was a fantastic outside-the-box setting. And all that Brom artwork? *drool*

Last edited:
Back