Duct tape wont stick to rubber coated weights

Kim Jong Un

Absolute Boss
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys. It is a common practice for me to duct tape small weights(5 lbs, 2.5 lbs) to big weights so that I can slowly increase the weight. 2 months ago I was happy to buy a new pair of large dumbells with increased weight, because the weight is so high I dont have to option to pick and choose what brand I get so I got the one set that was the correct weight, which was rubber coated hexagon shape. Herein lines the problem - now that these weights on their own are too small, I need to duct tape the small weights to them but the tape wont stick to the rubber. I am considering crazy glue which will probably work but damn I was hoping there would be an easier way to do this. Any experience with this sort of thing or any ideas for what to do?

Hey guys. It is a common practice for me to duct tape small weights(5 lbs, 2.5 lbs) to big weights so that I can slowly increase the weight. 2 months ago I was happy to buy a new pair of large dumbells with increased weight, because the weight is so high I dont have to option to pick and choose what brand I get so I got the one set that was the correct weight, which was rubber coated hexagon shape. Herein lines the problem - now that these weights on their own are too small, I need to duct tape the small weights to them but the tape wont stick to the rubber. I am considering crazy glue which will probably work but damn I was hoping there would be an easier way to do this. Any experience with this sort of thing or any ideas for what to do?

It's probably leftover grease on the rubber. If the surface is clean no reason why good quality duct tape wouldn't do the job.

Having said that, you could just do a few more reps and/or more explosive reps and/or use slower eccentric and pauses, and/or change the leverages and get pretty much the same effect. And if the weight is THAT low that a few more reps don't cut it, then you probably need to get new dumbbells (or adjustable ones).

Shoulda just bought adjustable dumbbells. This sounds ghetto as hell.

Dude i do this shit all the time as i have a ghetto ass home gym built inside a friggin BARN on my property. For example for tricep push downs i have a TOTAL GYM set up on a bunch of bricks standing dam near straight up!

Most of my gym is built like this.

The bigger dumbbells are way too expensive. For example in order to use 150 lb dumbbells i taped 60 lbs on 90 lb dumbbells. “Whatever it takes babe!”

A bit of sandpaper to the dumbells where you want to apply the tape should work. Or you use more tape and attach the tape to itself.

new-short-bands-new-logo-header-update_1_.jpg

I used short bands wrapped around the dumbbell to add more weight. Get the tension tight enough and it can hold multiple 10's on each side. My current gym has db's up to 250 lbs so I don't need to do it anymore.

new-short-bands-new-logo-header-update_1_.jpg

I used short bands wrapped around the dumbbell to add more weight. Get the tension tight enough and it can hold multiple 10's on each side. My current gym has db's up to 250 lbs so I don't need to do it anymore.
How many times can you curl the 250s?

Back