Drug Testing Now Hurts More Than Helps The Sport

Don't think the issue was ever about the number of cards ruined, it was about trying to clean up the sport to get it allowed into the mainstream to make the most money possible.

If you think that The UFC was making less money than it should have before USADA because people were turned off by fighters who appeared to be cheating by using steroids, how do you explain the success of Brock Lesnar who at the time set the record for the highest buyrate ever for a UFC PPV, yet he looked more like asteroid user than anyone else on the roster?

Think about it. Their biggest draw was the guy who looked the most like he used steroids. How does that translate to a drug fee UFC potentially making more money? It's nonsensical!

Did Archie Moore have access to a high end lab when he was the lineal LHW champion in his 40s?
First of all, boxing is not mma, And the level of competition was not the same as now at all. You should know that in all sports now, everything needs to be tuned to have a chance at winning. In the 50-60 years ago, you could have barfighters doing pro boxing.

Just a sidenote:
In the 1960s olympics Ziegler, administered Dianabol, an anabolic steroid, to the entire weightlifting team. I am not blaming anyone, but Cassius Clay was competing in the same olympics. Heavy steroids was much more common back in the days.

Today it is physically impossible for a trained 37 year old to beat a trained 27 year old in a pro mma fight,

First of all, boxing is not mma, And the level of competition was not the same as now at all. You should know that in all sports now, everything needs to be tuned to have a chance at winning. In the 50-60 years ago, you could have barfighters doing pro boxing.

Just a sidenote:
In the 1960s olympics Ziegler, administered Dianabol, an anabolic steroid, to the entire weightlifting team. I am not blaming anyone, but Cassius Clay was competing in the same olympics. Heavy steroids was much more common back in the days.

Today it is physically impossible for a trained 37 year old to beat a trained 27 year old in a pro mma fight,

Archie Moore would be great in this era, with or without "supplements." Your statement is completely and utterly absurd.

Just a sidenote:

There are a tonne of examples out there that dispute that, I mean in fighting age 37 isnt that old. If you would have said like 45 year or something I would have agreed.

cheaters are the problem, not the people who catch cheaters.

There are a tonne of examples out there that dispute that, I mean in fighting age 37 isnt that old. If you would have said like 45 year or something I would have agreed.
Guys today Are fulltime fighters. They train full time, And the difference between a win And a loss is minimal. A 37 year old doesn't have enough testosterone, And gets injured too often to be able to compete with a 27 year old. It is just not physically possible. It is sad, but that is how it goes.

The illusion of the clean top ten fighter that is so talented And has an extreme natural testosterone production that he can be competitive with the roiders is nice, but it is not real.

They should change it so if caught prior to the fight, opponent has the option to let the fight happen AND claim 90% of the cheater's purse.

Cheater doesn't get suspended, but 80% of his next three bouts purses goes to... Ronald McDonald House or Shriners.

Another blackjack wall of text headache thread?

Archie Moore would be great in this era, with or without "supplements." Your statement is completely and utterly absurd.
I never brought up Moore, And it is hard to point a finger at any one legend, but that era had much more strong anabolic steroids than today. That is my point.

The theory of the clean fighter is nice, but don't you think this guy would be squeased out already at amateur levels?

Fighting competitors that Are able to train twice a day, seven days a week while "the claean guy" may only train once, 5 days a week, would put the guy pretty far behind in technique, strength, cardio already from the first months training. After a year, he would be miles behind, And probably injured or overtrained for some time too.

We need to stop being naive about drugs in pro fighting. These guys have struggled for years to get to the top, And og is unrealistic that they even make it to some small regional show without some synthetic help. The guy training next to them doing steroids will smash them even the first few months of training.

I think they should revise what substances to ban.

Mighty Mouse for example takes it to the extreme, not taking any supplements at all, because he's saying Fuk it I don't need to be bothered over this.

Being a mouse I'm pretty sure he would take performance enhancing cheese and crackers.

TS, you are right as it is reducing the quality of the cards since so much of the current stock of fighters have been caught.

But hopefully this will lead to all the juicers exiting the sport with clean fighters rising to the top.

Then again it doesn't help when the UFC employers fighters who have been caught.

It regards to the tail wagging the dog. You are right but the tail is external organisations such USADA and NSAC in which are doing what they are suppose to be doing.

Nope. Drug testing is weeding out all these dirty drugs cheats. I don't want to watch a bunch of cowardly labratory experiments fighting. I want to see the best clean fighters in the world. Legalizing roids would completely ruin sports. We need to start implementing life time bans for cheating. It's a fucking joke that cheater cowards are given second and third chances

I still watch the UFC but USADA has made the UFC not as good as it use to be. I don't have a problem with fighters using steroids.

I don't think many organizations is under USADA. So, if you like to watch steroid heads, switch to Bellator,ACB or KSW.

That doesn't hold water. Brock Lesnar was caught. Jon Jones was caught. Anderson Silva was caught. These are the top money guys.

Exactly this. "The good stuff" is a bit of a myth in my opinion. They might have the money to pay people off or for the best doping coaches but at the end of the day the substances that increase performance for the most part have a direct impact on various hormones that are easy to test for.

Watch Icarus on Netflix. The Russian state sponsored doping con involved elaborate ways of swapping piss samples - you think they didn't have access to these designer sub stances that can't be detected?

I agree it's bringing the sport down slightly thoigh. Performances are worse, some fights get ruined etc. Its probably worth it if it means the fighters aren't ruining their bodies with steroids

That doesn't hold water. Brock Lesnar was caught. Jon Jones was caught. Anderson Silva was caught. These are the top money guys.

Bork and Jones both got caught with treatment for roids.

Not actual performance enhancing substances.

I think that's very telling.

Both because they've received only 1 year, which wasn't that bad for Jones, and is like, no penalty for Brock, because he doesn't fight anyway, lol.

And because you have two guys who were obviously doped, but no one can tell with what and how.

Drug testing in MMA has gotten completely out of control. It was implemented to improve the business but I just see main event after main event being ruined because of even "potential anti-doing violations." Drug testing has taken precedence over the actual sport. It's like the tail is wagging the dog. Drug testing was brought in to help - not hurt the sport.

It's been about 20 years since Josh barnett was stripped of his title but at least they held the fight and stripped him afterwards. These days they cancel the fight. It's been 20 years and more cards are being ruined because of drugs than were 10 or 20 years ago.
holy shit. how dumb is ts. cheaters getting caught discourages others from getting caught. mind blown. just wow.

Bisping lost to a couple of guys that he might very well have beaten if they weren't on what they were on. Assuming Bisping is clean, would you agree that his career was hampered by pre-USADA drug testing?
Absolutely

Back