Dropping MMA for boxing, am I crazy?

I love MMA and the coach I train with is great and very supportive of my development. But there's something really tedious about all the grappling training, the class format, and the uber technically in everything BJJ. Some days it really feels like work more than anything else.
I feel like giving boxing another try, I kinda like the simplicity of boxing. I really just wanna bang, I don't think I wanna spend years learning 50 different armbars.

Anyone who trained in both striking and grappling care to share their perspective?

I have to agree with you, many grappling gyms or gyms that have grappling on the side have a tedious way of teaching grappling. Everyone come to class at this specific time, everyone line up, everyone stretch together, everyone do this exercise, pick a partner, etc etc. I only found one gym that did grappling right, but I stopped going because it was too expensive. I do understand though, that due to the nature of grappling, teaching as a class room environment probably works better than showing up out of nowhere considering that you NEED a body to get a work out and work on technique as opposed to striking which you can still work on your techniques on bag equipment.

As opposed to my boxing gym, where I show up, stretch to how I see fit, do my own warm-up, take my time and do things right, don't feel rushed, and the instructor walks around correcting people as they see fit, and we can go to him and ask for instruction or help without interrupting the class room environment by hogging the attention.

I myself, like you, dropped my grappling gym, (momentarily though) and even stopped going to my Muay Thai gym, and am focusing on boxing at the moment (not to mention it's HALF as cheap monthly). I'm doing it for fun and experience, but it can only help my MMA fights as well. That, and the people in the boxing gym are a lot more fun, but that's subjective and circumstantial to me, since I know them personally as friends.

Boxing isn't simpler than bjj, imo it's harder to understand the complexities and nuances of boxing because they aren't that visible like the ones in bjj. Also, if you think that becoming good at bjj means learning 50 different armbars then you are doing it wrong.
But if you just want to bang there are a lot of promoters that love brawlers and walking punching bags.

I don't think he meant it in a bad way, I think for HIM, boxing comes simpler to him, as it does to me. I'm just a natural boxer, as opposed to a grappler. (of course, I joined boxing at the age of 14 so, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it)

I love MMA and the coach I train with is great and very supportive of my development. But there's something really tedious about all the grappling training, the class format, and the uber technically in everything BJJ. Some days it really feels like work more than anything else.
I feel like giving boxing another try, I kinda like the simplicity of boxing. I really just wanna bang, I don't think I wanna spend years learning 50 different armbars.

Anyone who trained in both striking and grappling care to share their perspective?

Just follow your heart not what's trendy. I tried MMA/Grappling and even though I enjoyed it, I just couldn't see myself training it week after week.
I only strike these days, and I don't care when people tell me how important grappling is to be "complete". I train what I love and enjoy most.
If boxing is what does it for you, go for it. Passion is a big factor in continuing training and constantly improving.

No one will get to an agreement but usually slow grappling with so many steps is considered more complex while in boxing even with invisible details (that happens iin every art) you learn the techniques within a week...
Sure,I do agree that the initial learning curve is lower in boxing than it is in bjj, but not after you passed the beginners phase. At least that's what I see in myself and others that have cross trained in both arts.
I don't think he meant it in a bad way, I think for HIM, boxing comes simpler to him, as it does to me. I'm just a natural boxer, as opposed to a grappler. (of course, I joined boxing at the age of 14 so, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it)
Starting young definitely helps, I did 4 years of taekwondo when I was a kid and later when I got into kickboxing my legs developed much faster than my hands.

Last edited:
Just follow your heart not what's trendy. I tried MMA/Grappling and even though I enjoyed it, I just couldn't see myself training it week after week.
I only strike these days, and I don't care when people tell me how important grappling is to be "complete". I train what I love and enjoy most.
If boxing is what does it for you, go for it. Passion is a big factor in continuing training and constantly improving.

^ This.

People will talk about being "complete" but there's no such thing. Most professional boxers aren't "complete" at their own discipline, you will always have holes in your game and unless you're planning in competing in MMA, those holes are irrelevant because it's very unlikely you'll ever BE in a street fight, let alone against someone who will take you down.

Maybe your grappling class is to large? You need to find a coach or mentor who has a record of using grappling techniques to finish/dominate opponents in MMA fights and try to get some training/perspective.

I don't know man. Atleast in grappling, you can go 100% without injuring your partner or you get to train with an actual person all of the time. I don't practice in boxing, i am training in muay thai, but i think it is fairly similar. First we do cardio workout, jumping ropes, shadow boxing, kicking/punching the heavy bags THEN finally we get to train with an actual person such as in clinching or sparring.

I don't know man. Atleast in grappling, you can go 100% without injuring your partner or you get to train with an actual person all of the time. I don't practice in boxing, i am training in muay thai, but i think it is fairly similar. First we do cardio workout, jumping ropes, shadow boxing, kicking/punching the heavy bags THEN finally we get to train with an actual person such as in clinching or sparring.

That's definitely not true. You can have serious injuries in grappling. I've messed up my knees to the point of not being able to walk for a week, and fractured my rib while rolling. That's my personal experience. But I know of people who have had serious injuries and have been out for months.

As far as grappling being more tedious that I disagree with. It is personal opinion. I for one think rolling is hella fun. So yea just go with what you like. Boxing is great and in my opinion the best striking art.

Yea i hate bjj/grappling. It's so boring and tedious. A lot of memorization and drilling the same thing over and over.

Boxing is the same, it's drilling a technique over and over but I find it much more fun. It just feels better to actually punch something or to dodge a strike. I don't find it tedious.

It's also good to take a break and do something else. Doing only MMA/grappling training means you must have Ronda-like striking. It's good to take a break and do some real striking. Then maybe go back to grappling later. You will start missing those armbars after awhile.

I actually got more injured in BJJ than Muay Thai. Cauliflower ear for example. Callouses or bleeding or arthritis in the hands. That's just normal wear and tear. I'm not even talking about all the accidents that happen in the gym. You don't see these kinds of wear and tears in striking. There are alot more accidents in grappling than I see in boxing.

I rarely hear about people getting injured in boxing, but I hear people getting injured in wrestling all the time.

Sure,I do agree that the initial learning curve is lower in boxing than it is in bjj, but not after you passed the beginners phase. At least that's what I see in myself and others that have cross trained in both arts.

Starting young definitely helps, I did 4 years of taekwondo when I was a kid and later when I got into kickboxing my legs developed much faster than my hands.
Well that I don´t know , I just did basic boxing primary thinking in self defense, goes along with my judo.

I find that being on your feet is just more natural and fun for most people. Nothing I love more than to box and then have a good ol man-wrestle sesh.

But seriously, I can understand why people think BJJ is boring. BJJ is either your thing or it isnt. Theres only so much submissions that translate IRL in fighting. I love grappling but im finding that drilling submissions with no strikes can be very impractical and feels like you are wasting your time.

So many insightful replies here thanks y'all.

I'm gonna try a boxing gym next week, they have a free trial and do day passes, so I'll train there a few times and if I like it i'll sign up. It looks like a good gym, pros train there.

That's definitely not true. You can have serious injuries in grappling. I've messed up my knees to the point of not being able to walk for a week, and fractured my rib while rolling. That's my personal experience. But I know of people who have had serious injuries and have been out for months.

As far as grappling being more tedious that I disagree with. It is personal opinion. I for one think rolling is hella fun. So yea just go with what you like. Boxing is great and in my opinion the best striking art.
I think its the idea that: getting someone in a bad spot to make them give up, seems "safer" than: try to KO (concuss) the guy, if not deliver so much pain that he/she is forced to give up by the ref and their corner

I've been injured alot more times from grappling due to shit partners and not knowing how to roll into the technique properly. One guy saw some shit on YouTube and tried it out in rolling, and of course he didn't know how to do it safely and I got my shoulder almost blown out because of it. It was a rolling Kimura from a single leg attempt, and upon landing, he fell back and it yanked my shoulder with me face planting. Another time we were doing some sweep from guard, I don't know the name, but it looked like a sacrifice throw. Anyways, dude got frustrated he couldn't get it right, so he locked my neck in a guillotine and threw me over while it was still locked; Its a miracle I didn't snap my neck.

One of the reasons I ended up doing striking for awhile was because of injuries from grappling/BJJ

Once you reach a certain level in grappling(the jitz equivalent of a purple belt) the chance of injury is reduced drastically. New grapplers with little control of their movement account for a high percentage of grappling injuries.

i tend to avoid most grappling classes unless a certain friend kinda makes me go.. im not gonna be a fighter so no need to do anything but enjoy myself with boxing/ muay thai.

Once you reach a certain level in grappling(the jitz equivalent of a purple belt) the chance of injury is reduced drastically. New grapplers with little control of their movement account for a high percentage of grappling injuries.

I'm not new to grappling. The other peole I was referring to that had injuries are purple and higher so what are you talking about? Do you train in bjj?

if your goal is to fight professionally for money and make a living doing it.....IMO boxing is more competitive and you must be at a very high skill level of boxing to make it

I'm not new to grappling. The other peole I was referring to that had injuries are purple and higher so what are you talking about? Do you train in bjj?
Yes, ranked brown in bjj, been grappling for 13 years, been fighting MMA for 10. I'm not saying experienced grapplers can't be seriously injured, I'm saying once you reach a certain level of skill the chances of you being seriously injured are drastically reduced. When you gain the ability to flow with other people that flow, chances of injury drop, when you learn how to flow around aggressive wild beginners as well, your chance of injury drops even further.
People on this forum that complain about being injured by new people aren't as skilled nor experienced as they think they are.

Back