ATOMIC BLONDE (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen ATOMIC BLONDE, how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: July 26, 2017

Dragonlord's Review of ATOMIC BLONDE
(No Spoiler)

Bottom Line: Atomic Blonde's impressive, brutal fight choreography is the only thing keeping this frigid Cold War spy thriller from fizzling out.

WHk8ZSF.jpg

Angelina Jolie was the undoubtedly the queen of action movies back in the 2000s. Nipping at Jolie's crown for the better part of the past decade, Charlize Theron takes up the abandoned mantle with recent action/adventure flicks as Mad Max: Fury Road, The Fate of the Furious, The Huntsman: Winter's War and now, Atomic Blonde.

Based on Anthony Johnston's graphic novel The Coldest City, Theron plays Lorraine Broughton, a top-level spy for MI6 sent to Germany on the eve of the fall of the Berlin Wall to retrieve a coveted master list and to uncover the identity of the double agent called Satchel.

Veteran stunt master and one half of the John Wick architects, Atomic Blonde director David Leitch continues his dominance in the action world with staging several gratifying, bone-crunching fight scenes including a spectacularly brutal extended "one-take" shot during the film's climax in an apartment building's stairwell. Leitch downplays the gun-fu aspect in which he is famously known for and focuses more on the hand-to-hand combat facet of the spectrum.

Lorraine Broughton (Theron's character) is unquestionably a bad-ass heroine with the actress admirably doing roughly 98% of her own stunts. More Jane Wick than John le Carre, Lorraine dispatches her opponents with steely resolve and resourcefulness, using everything from car keys, an ice pick, a garden hose, or a stiletto to get the job done. Props also to the film's dose of realism as Lorraine is not untouchable as we see her get punched, bruised and even gas out in the middle of a fight.

Unfortunately there's a disconnection side to Theron's performance as Lorraine seemed so robotic, so detached and her lines so carefully calculated and aloof that it's hard to form a rapport with her character resulting in a film with great action but zero emotional stakes.

Lacking the sophistication, suspense building and spycraft mastery of a John le Carre production, Atomic Blonde's skillful action scenes are not enough to overcome its muddled narrative. Adding to its murkiness is David Percival (jubilantly played by James McAvoy), a British spy that has gone "native" in Berlin. They already showed their cards too early by revealing Percival can't be trusted but the film and Lorraine inexplicably still continue to play along up to the not-so-surprising bitter end.

The film is narrated by Lorraine through flashbacks while giving a debriefing, which is a format I'm not too fond of because it automatically ruins half of the tension since you already know the protagonist is alive in the future. But at the same time, I suspected from the start they orchestrated it that way to set up a twist in the end. They're also going with the flashback-debriefing route to assist the audience make sense of the confusing narrative.

For the pervy readers, yes there are glimpses of nudity from Theron and she has a steamy sex scene with Sofia Boutella playing a French operative who makes the stupidest action in the film (see spoiler box below).

Continuing the visual style he displayed with John Wick, Leitch likes to play with saturated neon colors that accentuates the decadent side of Berlin. A slew of 80s New Wave and Techno-Pop songs blare through each scene to mostly positive results ("99 Luftballoons" was too painfully obvious though).

Theron sports a brunette hairdo in the end and she looks absolutely stunning, thousand times better than her character's normal platinum blonde look. It's also the first time Lorraine has shown her true persona with genuine emotions and if they hope to do more sequels, that is the character I am interested in investing in.

Rating: 6.5/10

In one the most dumbest actions I've seen from a trained spy, Delphine (Sophia Boutella), who is at her apartment, calls Percival (James McAvoy) on the phone and threatens to expose him as a traitor. She then spends the next hour in her apartment packing up her stuff. To the surprise of no one, Percival shows up and kills her. Granted Delphine was still new at the spy game, there's no excuse for having no common sense.

Click link for previous thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/3488329/

For the pervy readers, yes there are glimpses of nudity from Theron and she has a steamy sex scene with Sofia Boutella playing a French operative who makes the stupidest action in the film (see spoiler box below).

Thanks for looking out bro.

It has charlize theron and good fight scenes apparently

should be entertaining enough then

I got turned off at "Cold War." What an original leftist theme. My one gripe with John Wick.

Update: July 26, 2017

Dragonlord's Review of ATOMIC BLONDE

Bottom Line: The impressive, brutal fight choreography is the only thing keeping this frigid Cold War spy thriller from fizzling out.

BJeePSO.jpg

Angelina Jolie was the undoubtedly the queen of action movies back in the 2000s. Nipping at Jolie's crown for the better part of the past decade, Charlize Theron takes up the abandoned mantle with recent action/adventure flicks as Mad Max: Fury Road, The Fate of the Furious, The Huntsman: Winter's War and now, Atomic Blonde.

Based on Anthony Johnston's graphic novel The Coldest City, Theron plays Lorraine Broughton, a top-level spy for MI6 sent to Germany on the eve of the fall of the Berlin Wall to retrieve a coveted master list and to uncover the identity of the double agent called Satchel.

Veteran stunt master and one half of the John Wick architects, Atomic Blonde director David Leitch continues his dominance in the action world with staging several gratifying, bone-crunching fight scenes including a spectacularly brutal extended "one-take" shot during the film's climax in an apartment building's stairwell. Leitch downplays the gun-fu aspect in which he is famously known for and focuses more on the hand-to-hand combat facet of the spectrum.

Lorraine Broughton (Theron's character) is unquestionably a bad-ass heroine with the actress admirably doing roughly 98% of her own stunts. More Jane Wick than John le Carre, Lorraine dispatches her opponents with steely resolve and resourcefulness, using everything from car keys, an ice pick, a garden hose, or a stiletto to get the job done. Props also to the film's dose of realism as Lorraine is not untouchable as we see her get punched, bruised and even gas out in the middle of a fight.

Unfortunately there's a disconnection side to Theron's performance as Lorraine seemed so robotic, so detached and her lines so carefully calculated and aloof that it's hard to form a rapport with her character resulting in a film with great action but zero emotional stakes.

YI4KTvR.jpg

Lacing the sophistication, suspense building and spycraft mastery of a John le Carre production, Atomic Blonde's skillful action scenes are not enough to overcome its muddled narrative. Adding to its murkiness is David Percival (jubilantly played by James McAvoy), a British spy that has gone "native" in Berlin. They already showed their cards too early by revealing Percival can't be trusted but the film and Lorraine inexplicably still continue to play along up to the not-so-surprising bitter end.

The film is narrated by Lorraine in flashback mode, which is a format I'm not too fond of because it automatically ruins half of the tension since you already know the protagonist is alive in the future. But at the same time, I suspected from the start they orchestrated it that way to set up a twist in the end.

Continuing the visual style he displayed with John Wick, Leitch likes to play with saturated neon colors that accentuates the decadent side of Berlin. A slew of 80s New Wave and Techno-Pop songs blare through each scene to mostly positive results ("99 Luftballoons" was too painfully obvious though).

Theron sports a brunette hairdo in the end and she looks absolutely stunning, thousand times better than her character's normal platinum blonde look. It's also the first time Lorraine has shown her true persona with genuine emotions and if they hope to do more sequels, that is the character I am interested in investing in.

Rating: 6.5/10 or 7/10
[YT]
[
L9EKqQWPjyo

That costume in Drago's OP reminds me of Carol Danvers.

ms-marvel-avengers.jpg

Nothing is going to calm my emotion until Squirrel Girl has HER moment..!!!
[YT]
250px-Unbeatable_Squirrel_Girl.jpg

It has charlize theron and good fight scenes apparently

should be entertaining enough then
Yeah to be honest I cared about the story in John Wick to the extent that it serviced him dismantling Russian mobsters and assassins.

If this is similarly plotted I won't have much issue.

I like the below poster more though.

dc459f2a9d976f64b78923408df42560--charlize-theron-action-movies.jpg
Too imbalanced. Ideally her coat should be white but that disrupts the logo. Coat and dress could be total black, but that further throws off the balance. Or make her larger, in order to frame the BLONDE, and render the background in white but that doesn't seem very Cold Warry. This is a nice shot of Theron coming out of the dark but lacks the bold design sense I appreciate.

My preferred poster feels very German, like SIN CITY as you say. I will admit the gun is a little shoehorned in, but the detail and comparative values between skin and eyes vs hair is hard for me not to love.

Yeah to be honest I cared about the story in John Wick to the extent that it serviced him dismantling Russian mobsters and assassins.

If this is similarly plotted I won't have much issue.
John Wick has a much simpler plot than Atomic Blonde but it [JW] was more engaging and I was more emotionally invested in the main character.

Back