Dow last year under Obama vs First year under Trump. Trump

You do realize it was at 6k when he started right? It had nowhere to go but up.

Stating otherwise means you weren't paying attention, or you're willfully ignorant.

Chart it then we can talk.

So if the stock market crashed this year would the same people praising Obama be slamming Trump? Really makes you wonder.

Also Obama inherited a stock market after the housing bubble collapse. No matter what he did it was going to correct itself so all you people posting graphs of his entire presidency need to take that into account.

Obama isn’t responsible for the entire stock market correction and Trump isn’t responsible for the entire stock market increase.

I wouldn't have blamed Obama for the housing bubble collapse. I do blame him for the bailouts and the way it was handled.

These big CEOs getting millions in bonuses from said money for failing at their jobs having to be bailed out.

How the fuck you gonna be allowed to take bailout money from the government/tax payers for millions in bonuses.

From Nov 13 to Nov 4th (as close as I could get the chart to Election Day, of Obamas last year.

+ 643 points.

From Nov 4th until today.

+ 4983 points

Almost 5 fucking THOUSAND points. Almost 10x the gains as under Obama.

"But but but, it's the obama economy"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa.

Last time I looked Boeing accounted for almost half of the rise in the Dow since their stock was up 70% since Trump election due to anticipated defense spending. The other 29 companies in the Dow were doing more moderately.

Last time I looked Boeing accounted for almost half of the rise in the Dow since their stock was up 70% since Trump election due to anticipated defense spending. The other 29 companies in the Dow were doing more moderately.

If you haven't noticed the countless investments companies have made since the election, you haven't been paying attention.

What Obama did to the debt is absurd.
Any lib got the balls to post those numbers.

Here was a president that felt Americans were obligated to fund the world.
He conatantly spent more then he would ever bring back in.
His deals were a joke that always had America on the losing side.

I want to be educated. Why did this uptick happen after Trump was elected?

Here's a 10-year chart:

fredgraph.png

What we see is just a continuation of a longer-term trend that hit a snag from May 2015 to Feb. 2016 and then has caught up. Also, earlier in this thread, I linked to international indexes. U.S. performance is mostly in line with the rest of the world.

And why can't we attribute it to him while every bad thing that happens on every street corner to every foreign country is now his fault?

To answer your first question, we want to be accurate. Presidents in general rarely have anything to do with stock-market performance, Trump specifically has not done anything that would realistically affect the economy yet, and U.S. performance hasn't diverged from the rest of the world. To answer your second, the premise is obviously false. If you think there is anything specifically that has been inappropriately attributed to him, what is it? And if people are inappropriately attributing stuff to him, that's wrong, and there's no reason we should want to repeat their error.

Last edited:
Lol, you can't make this shit up. Trump bots are endlessly amusing.
Goes both ways. I sit in the middle and laugh at you both. When you cant see positive AND negatives of a politician, your views are broken. Trump will never do right in your eyes, just like Obama never did in theirs.

Goes both ways. I sit in the middle and laugh at you both. When you cant see positive AND negatives of a politician, your views are broken. Trump will never do right in your eyes, just like Obama never did in theirs.
Well, sure, sit in the middle and laugh, sounds lovely. I choose to go where the facts lead me. I actually agree with TS that Obama's influence on the recovery was minimal (I am guess we will disagree on the reasons for that), but find it funny that the standard he set--"facts are facts, the economy did x while y was in office"--only applies to Trump. Par for the course around here.

Lol, you can't make this shit up. Trump bots are endlessly amusing.

???

Trump took office and we started the fastest and largest growth in the history of the DOW.

That isn't a talking point, it's a fact.

???

Trump took office and we started the fastest and largest growth in the history of the DOW.

That isn't a talking point, it's a fact.
Sure. And Obama took office the dow was < 8k. He left it at > 19k. Facts are facts. The two greatest economic presidents in modern history, back to back. MAGA.

Sure. And Obama took office the dow was < 8k. He left it at > 19k. Facts are facts. The two greatest economic presidents in modern history, back to back. MAGA.

Is the guy not using percentage growth? WTF?

If you haven't noticed the countless investments companies have made since the election, you haven't been paying attention.

My point is that at just 30 stocks the Dow is susceptible to being influenced by a single stock making a dramatic move.

To the best of my knowledge a minority of the Dow companies have dramatically changed their behavior in the last year.

Is the guy not using percentage growth? WTF?
It's not that, it is just that, clearly, Obama's numbers don't really count because the economy was bad when he took office. While Trump's numbers do count--maybe even double--because the economy was good when he took office. Econ 101.

My point is that at just 30 stocks the Dow is susceptible to being influenced by a single stock making a dramatic move.

To the best of my knowledge a minority of the Dow companies have dramatically changed their behavior in the last year.

Which ones? I think this narrative is wholly imagined.

First off, he did not leave it at 19k. He left it at 17388 I do believe (election day, remember when the media told everyone the market would crash if trump won. And yes the markets react to the incoming president, not the lame duck)

Average that gain over 8 years.

Now how much of that rebound was inevitable?

Obama didn't do terrible on the economy, but let's be real.

??? No it isn't.

President Trump is Enjoying the Greatest Stock Market Rally Ever – And It Keeps Getting Better! The DOW Is Now Up More Than 5000 points Since Election and 25%!
* The DOW has risen 25% since the election on November 8th.

* The DOW has increased 4,539 points since the November 8th election. The stock market has never increased this much in such a short period of time in its more than one hundred year history.

* President Trump set the record earlier this year for the most all time closing stock market highs during his first year in office. Currently the DOW has set 65 closing highs since last year’s election and 48 since President Trump’s inauguration.

* One in four days since the election has ended in a new stock market high.

* The DOW closed above 20,000 on January 25th and the March 1st rally matched the fastest-ever 1,000 point increase in the DOW at 24 days that the markets were open or 35 actual days.

* The DOW took just 66 market open days to climb from 19,000 to above 21,000, the fastest 2,000 point run ever. The DOW closed above 19,000 for the first time on November 22nd 2016 and closed above 21,000 on March 1st 2017. The previous record was in 2007 when the DOW took nearly three times as long to cover 2,000 points.

* The DOW took just 173 days to surpass the 3,000 point milestone between November 22, 2016 when the DOW surpassed 19,000 and August 2nd, 2017 when the DOW surpassed 22,000. The prior record was in 1999 when the DOW took more than four times as long to reach these heights.

* The DOW all time high increased more than 4,000 points since the all time high on election night 2016 on October 3rd when it reached a new all time high of 22,642. This increase of 4,000 points is unheard of in US history!

* Since President Trump’s Inauguration on January 20th the DOW is up 15%. (It was at 19,827 at January 20th.)

* President Trump is the only President in US history to oversee two stock market rallies of nine days or more where the markets set new highs each and every day.

* On February 28th President Trump matched President Reagan’s 1987 record for most continuous closing high trading days when the DOW reached a new high for its 12th day in a row!

* Then in early August President Trump reigned over a 9 day stock market rally with each day reaching record highs.

* The Market gained $5 trillion in wealth since Trump was elected

Back