Double legs??

Practical Goat

Knowledge Seeker
@White
Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong category..

I've been shown 3 different styles of double legs..

1) Dropping to my knee and driving forward with my head on the OUTSIDE of the person. This is from my Gracie instructor (and their curriculum). I've recently been to an mma coach with a big wrestling background and he said that is not correct and I would be guillotined or they'd sprawl.

2) What the mma coach told me to do - Don't drop to your knee at all and drive up and forwards at a sideways angle while keeping your head on the inside (at their chest).

3) Similar to number two but dropping to your front knee and driving.

Which one is right guys? Well confused.

This should belong in the grappling forum.

Btw those sound like two different forms of double legs, one being a traditional double and the other two being a blast double. They’re both valid.

The way I would do a double in MMA is to not drop to the knee, but to shoot with the head outside and use that outside head pressure to drive forward and across their body. That way if they go for the guillotine, it just makes it easier to lift them and move to side or half where they won't be able to finish the guillotine and will be the one to get choked if they don't let it go. If my head is on the inside, I'm probably switching to a running knee tap personally but blast double is a great technique too.

Also, yea, this should be in the grappling forum.

My bad guys, I just thought with this move being taught differently from a wrestling and a jiu-jitsu guy, I'd just make it a more generalised category.

The way I would do a double in MMA is to not drop to the knee, but to shoot with the head outside and use that outside head pressure to drive forward and across their body. That way if they go for the guillotine, it just makes it easier to lift them and move to side or half where they won't be able to finish the guillotine and will be the one to get choked if they don't let it go. If my head is on the inside, I'm probably switching to a running knee tap personally but blast double is a great technique too.

Also, yea, this should be in the grappling forum.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did with the wrestling coach but my head was more on the inside.. Maybe my interpretation of inside/outside is off haha.. I'll explain -

I'm in my stance (orthodox), I step across his body with my left foot and keeping my body upright, hit myself against their chest, my head is probably against his left pec near the armpit and drive across him while pulling the legs towards me.

The first one I mentioned in my original post seemed to work very well but I can see why I could be setting myself up for some serious s**t.

Thanks.

Back