Double leg takedown in BJJ - penetration step problem

AdrianT

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried looking for a similar problem online but didnt really find anything relevant.

Basically, when going for a double leg takedown (in BJJ, I dont wrestle nor have I ever done it), I have a hard time with the penetration step, specifically dropping on my lead leg/knee. It feels super awkward and I'm afraid my knee will pop every time I try to do it. I cannot bring my weight (ca 100kg) on my knee like that as it goes against the instinct of never putting weight in front of your knees that I have developed while training for powerlifting/strongman. It feels super counter-intuitive. Moreover, I feel like I'm going to break my toe when going for it.

I have normal flexibility, proably a bit less than your average BJJ player from all the strength training I have done but normally it's not an issue in most techniques.

I have managed to do it properly only once, followed by a cracking sound that everyone in the gym heard. Luckily it didn't hurt, but it sure as hell wasn't pleasant either as I'm very careful with my knees.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? I might try to record it to get some insight as it may be hard to asses without seeing it. None of my training partners know a solution to this (no wrestlers among them).

However, you don't need to drop on your knee, you can just lower it a bit, and change your level, there is no need to drop on your knee if you don't need to.

Shooting for a takedown shouldn't hurt, unless your knee crashes into the floor, try and make sure you have a straight back and make sure that you're shooting in at around 45 degrees.

I would suggest that you buy a pair of wrestling boots and practice shooting in slowly and build it up, you will (should) get used to it.

Yr head and shoulders should make contact w yr opponents waist before yr knee touches the ground. Step as if you're going past or through the person as you drop/change levels. Then drive forward. Try to keep yr posture upright/back straight.

I had some difficulty with this when I started too. I'm not an expert by any means, still a BJJ white belt and have never wrestled, but here are a few things that have helped me:

1. You should be about arms length from your opponent. If it's in gi then pull on their lapel before shooting. This helps to unbalance the opponent and also sets you up at a good distance. If it's no-gi, start with a hand on their shoulder to help you set your distance.

2. When changing level, don't lower yourself deliberately. Drop in a free fall way and then catch yourself, similar to if you are ducking in boxing.

3. When moving forward, focus on pushing off of your back leg and don't really think about the front leg at all. In my experience the front leg will take care of itself when you push off of the back.

4. Your front knee shouldn't touch the ground, if you have gauged your distance well then your shoulder should drive into your opponent helping to keep your knee slightly above the ground, after which you take his legs and re-establish your footing.

Like I said, I'm not expert so if anyone more experienced disagrees with me take their word over mine.

The best double legs aren't done with a drop step. Even in wrestling, the "blast double" is what a lot of the top "double leg" guys do.

As others have said bringing the knee to the floor isn't necessary, especially in a fight, but shooting all the way to the mat has advantages.

You shouldn't be slamming all your weight down on that knee. You should be smoothly gliding across the mat.

For drilling you can start in the lung position and shoot down the mat without standing up, just alternate legs, thrusting your hip into shot and then bringing that trail leg up and back into the lung position.

Once that gets smooth start doing in from the feet and then with a partner.

I actually prefer not touching my knee to the floor, and I like to put my head right in my opponents sternum and drive until they fall or run off the mat. It has different names depending on what region of various countries you are from, I have always called it a spear double. The standard out of the box heel, toe, knee, step across double in my opinion is more risky because if your opponent sprawls you have to deal with his weight on top of you. In the spear double there is much less risk because you are on two feet and if you miss it you are still in a good position. If your opponent is wearing a GI it is even easier because you can grab the pants which makes the legs less movable.

Youtube blast double, or spear double. Stephen Neal had a fantastic blast/ spear/ freight train double (whatever you want to call it). In MMA Chael Sonnen used it a lot.

I don't know how I could have ever forgotten this, but Jordan Burroughs is a master of the spear double.

Best succinct summary/instructional

I've come to prefer outside step doubles/High-C but the only video examples I know of are behind flows pay wall

Thanks everyone for the replies! I actually figured it out in training yesterday - I wasnt changing levels enough before shooting. Changing levels (ducking) properly and then shooting has fixed it! I am so happy now.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I actually figured it out in training yesterday - I wasnt changing levels enough before shooting. Changing levels (ducking) properly and then shooting has fixed it! I am so happy now.

You were aiming your knee straight up to the mat? That's normal and I've seen many times taught that way in different Bjj gyms. Every time i saw that my knee was shaking

Back