Double-Feature: Executive Decision & Air Force One

Choose your preferred terrorists-on-a-plane film!

• Total voters
I don't think there's any tier of acting excellence in which Mickey Rourke doesn't belong.

Rourke's a great actor, but I'm trying to think about about any performances where he really played against type or showed serious range.

It seems to me that he's really good in a narrow way.

Sensei Jesus >>> Can Damme

pTfUYZV.gif

You should cut it so the end credits immediately begin rolling after the splat landing.

That's hilarious.

I'm still trying to figure out how the director didn't realize that whole scene looks fucking absurd.

You should cut it so the end credits immediately begin rolling after the splat landing.

That's hilarious.

I'm still trying to figure out how the director didn't realize that whole scene looks fucking absurd.

Just
stop-5.gif

Sensei isn't going down from a weak ass twenty foot fall like that. He's setting up some secret agent shit where he fools the world into thinking he's dead so he can eat carrots in eastern Europe like a boss.

giphy.gif

Haven’t seen Air Force One in over 20 years. But my recollection is that I found Executive Decision the more enjoyable of the two.

John Leguizamo talks about being assaulted by Steven Seagal:

Lol was going to post this. Love when he describes bursting out laughing when Seagal did his whole spiel about being the man.

Big time Harrison Ford fan and as a youth he was probably my favorite actor so was always amped to see his movies. I rated Air Force one higher at the time.

Having watched them both again about seven or eight years ago, I’d definitely say Executive Decision is better. Not only did it strike me as a more fun, more tense, and with more to it overall but i also actually found it less hokey than AFO perhaps precisely because the latter took itself too seriously.

whateverloser.gif

And then he got son'd.

Haha to be fair though seagal has like eight inches of height on him and martial arts training.

Which I guess is why you don’t laugh in that scenario.

Still hilarious though.

Having watched them both again about seven or eight years ago, I’d definitely say Executive Decision is better. Not only did it strike me as a more fun, more tense, and with more to it overall but i also actually found it less hokey than AFO perhaps precisely because the latter took itself too seriously.

Regarding Executive Decision, I think the thing that surprised me and impressed me the most was its ability to ratchet up the tension. The scene where I first noticed it was when they were trying to do the transfer between the secret military plane and the 747. That was a great scene and there were several other scenes where the movie really did a great job of grabbing my attention and holding it.

As for Air Force One being hokey, one scene that comes to mind was when everyone was parachuting out to safety and it shows close-ups of the some of the people and their faces are like, "Whee! That's a relief!" It just looked silly. The CGI of the plane going down near the end is also so bad that it detracts from the movie.

Hollywood trolled us in the 90's.
I remember seeing the poster at movie theaters with Kurt Russell, Halle Berry, and Steven Seagal in the top billing.
Of course this was when Seagal was in his prime, so everyone went out of their way to see the newest Steven Seagal film.

None of us had any fucking clue that he only had 10 minutes of screen time.
What a load of bullocks!

It was still a very good movie though! I enjoyed it.
Kurt Russell had an incredible performance.

Last edited:
Rourke's a great actor, but I'm trying to think about about any performances where he really played against type or showed serious range.

It seems to me that he's really good in a narrow way.

I think between The Rainmaker, The Pledge, Animal Factory, Diner, Get Carter, The Wrestler, 9 1/2 Weeks and Barfly, he covers a fair bit of ground.

Between Barfly and Get Carter, he even fights both Stallones multiple times in the same movie.

Executive decision had a better ,more intricate plot. It also had broader implications that helped add to the tension.air force one was okay but was mostly forgettable

Executive Decision all day.

Because of what happens to Seagal

Back