Double-Feature: Executive Decision & Air Force One

Choose your preferred terrorists-on-a-plane film!

• Total voters
G

Guestx

Just got done watching these two back-to-back. I had seen them both before, but only once, when they were originally released to theaters.

As you'll remember, Executive Decision was released in 1996. Air Force One came out just one year later in 1997. The plots of the two are amazingly similar considering how close together they came out. It's almost like an Olympus Has Fallen / White House Down situation.

Executive Decision actually ended up being better than I remembered. It's a pretty enjoyable thriller with some inventive action scenes and several genuinely tense moments. I also was surprised by how strong the cast was, with Kurt Russell, Steven Seagal (when he was still a respectable performer), John Leguizamo, Halle Berry and David Suchet.

Air Force One I guess was about on par with what I remembered. Of the two films, I got the impression that it was the one that took itself the most seriously. It also features a very solid cast, and I had totally forgotten that Gary Oldman was even in this shit. But it also felt a bit more formulaic and featured some pretty sketchy effects at times.

All in all, I think I actually enjoyed Executive Decision the most. It just seemed to be the more creative and fun movie, as a whole. My only complaint with it is that it runs just a bit long. At 2 hours 16 minutes, it's probably about 16 minutes longer than it really needs to be.

Who else has seen these films? How do you think they compare? Which do you think is the more enjoyable watch?

Executive Decision for me, I found a cheap DVD copy of it last Summer and enjoyed it. I remember we went to see it in theaters when I was like 12, my dad was a huge mark for Seagal when I was a kid and he was so shocked that Seagal died in the movie. I remember when we were leaving the theater my mom and dad were talking about it as if Seagal really died in real life or something. <Lmaoo>

I think there has to be some correlation with actors dying on screen and their acting career dying as a result. Seagal tanked after he did the job in Executive Decision, then there was Emelio Estevez in Mission Impossible. Any others?

Executive Decision for me, I found a cheap DVD copy of it last Summer and enjoyed it. I remember we went to see it in theaters when I was like 12, my dad was a huge mark for Seagal when I was a kid and he was so shocked that Seagal died in the movie. I remember when we were leaving the theater my mom and dad were talking about it as if Seagal really died in real life or something. <Lmaoo>

LOL, that's hilarious.

I do remember it being genuinely shocking at the time that he didn't make it though. And with his ego, I'm still surprised that he agreed to that.

I think there has to be some correlation with actors dying on screen and their acting career dying as a result. Seagal tanked after he did the job in Executive Decision, then there was Emelio Estevez in Mission Impossible. Any others?

Hmm, that's an interesting thought.

I'm not sure any other examples come to mind, but you're right about Seagal. It was the beginning of the end for him. Pretty much the only good movie he made after Executive Decision was Exit Wounds, and that was only after making a string of disappointments.

I wasn’t a fan of air force one. I didn’t hate the movie or anything; I wouldn’t say I liked it either.

Executive Decesion tho I’ve seen numerous times. I just find it a fun movie. Made me laugh when after I watched it the last time that one of the army guys was Father Mukada from Oz. Basically any actor from Oz, when I see them in another movie/tv show, is the person from Oz. Specially Ryan O’Reilly.

I wasn’t a fan of air force one. I didn’t hate the movie or anything; I wouldn’t say I liked it either.

Executive Decesion tho I’ve seen numerous times. I just find it a fun movie. Made me laugh when after I watched it the last time that one of the army guys was Father Mukada from Oz. Basically any actor from Oz, when I see them in another movie/tv show, is the person from Oz. Specially Ryan O’Reilly.

Yeah, I agree with you that Executive Decision is a more fun, more entertaining movie. If they had just edited it down a little bit then it would be a nearly-perfect popcorn movie experience.

I never did see Oz, but here's another interesting connection regarding the military guys: One of those dudes is played by BD Wong, who was the lead InGen scientist guy in Jurassic Park and Jurassic World.

That’s Father Mukada, man. ;)

Yeah, if you ever watch Oz you’ll notice so many people who are in other things. Like when you died in Oz you ended up in the Wire(Which came on after Oz when it was playing) and like half the people ended up in Law and Order shows.

Surprised at the lack of interest here. These were both popular movies when they were released.

I found both to be notable films, both due to their quality as well as the fact that they were popular upon release and performed well financially.

I'm just going off my own reaction to viewing them. Neither was bad, but I found them to be underwhelming. Wouldn't watch either again. Although I'm pretty sure I enjoyed the Kurt Russell film more.

It's been twenty years but I enjoyed Executive Decision quite a bit.

Our honorable sensei sacrificed himself for the greater good.

It's been twenty years but I enjoyed Executive Decision quite a bit.

Our honorable sensei sacrificed himself for the greater good.

You should rewatch it. I went into it last night not expecting much but it was a pleasant surprise to see how well it held up.

As for Seagal, you just know they approached his ass with the offer to do the movie and it was like:

Producer: Okay look, but here's the thing . . . you die.

Seagal: Wait . . . what?! Hell no! I'm the star! I'm in command!

Producer: No, no, you see, you die . . . but it's a very heroic death. You sacrifice yourself for the world. Like Jesus.

Seagal: . . . go on.

You should rewatch it. I went into it last night not expecting much but it was a pleasant surprise to see how well it held up.

As for Seagal, you just know they approached his ass with the offer to do the movie and it was like:

Producer: Okay look, but here's the thing . . . you die.

Seagal: Wait . . . what?! Hell no! I'm the star! I'm in command!

Producer: No, no, you see, you die . . . but it's a very heroic death. You sacrifice yourself for the world. Like Jesus.

Seagal: . . . go on.

Sensei: You know, you're not the first person to point out the obvious parallels between Jesus' life and my own.

Back