Doo Ho Choi is the asian Justin Gaethje

13 others

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I love both those guys but their toe to toe fighters that look to try and create chaos and suck their opponents into a brawl. They have very fan pleasing styles, and you don't really have a choice but to brawl with these guys because of their pressure. That being said both these guys have a hard time moving their head of the center line and lack fundamental defense. Choi was really doing great keeping his distsnce in rd 1 but everything fell apart in rd 2 and he looked gassed as well, just like gaethje. Anyways love em both but maybe Choi needs to find a better team to train with an expand his game to his real potential. They both demod some nice low kicks too in their last fights although Gaethje uses it much more effectively.

Last edited:
The much, much less successful version of Justin Gaethje. Point taken though.

They're not that alike tho.

Gaethje thrives in a phone booth fight, while Choi wilts there.

They're not that alike tho.

Gaethje thrives in a phone booth fight, while Choi wilts there.
Not sure about that. Look at Chois career before UFC, all his fights look like his Cub fight. Gaethje also "wilted" against Alvarez, although I wouldn't use that word to describe it and almost got finished by Johnson too.

They're similar but not THAT similar, and I think you know this.
You just wanted a good title for your thread.

The lack of experiance got him beat

They're similar but not THAT similar, and I think you know this.
You just wanted a good title for your thread.
The title is literally the point of the thread.

Justin has shown the ability to take punishment early to come back and win. Choi has shown that he almost always wins the early exchanges but wilts and/or gasses when his opponent lands a hard strike and backs him up.

Choi is more precise, Gaethje operates better under pressure.

or MAYBE, just maybe, Doo Ho Choi is Doo Ho Choi.

Justin has shown the ability to take punishment early to come back and win. Choi has shown that he almost always wins the early exchanges but wilts and/or gasses when his opponent lands a hard strike and backs him up.

Choi is more precise, Gaethje operates better under pressure.
Good assessment, I can agree with you on that one. Although choi has a lot of comeback wins as well where he takes early punishment and wins later.

I thought Choi had a good first round and I thought he won it but Stephens seemed to take it up a notch in the second, whether it was comfort or timing he just seemed like he hit the gas pedal and ended it at his will.

Back