Doo Ho Choi: "I would beat Cub Swanson not just in a fight but in sparring sessions."

Hufusopem

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
resize_1(5).jpg

How was your 2014?

I am disappointed that I only had 1 fight. I always say I want to fight a lot, but I guess I don’t take care of my body the way I should. I am relieved that I had at least 1 fight.

You made quite an impact with your UFC debut.

Honestly, I was looking forward to a bonus. I am disappointed about that. That’s the way life goes (laughs). I actually don’t think that rear naked choke Frankie had on Cub was tight enough for him to tap. It looked like he just gave up. Now I have this irrational grudge against him (laughs).
You have been calling out Cub Swanson for a while.

He is someone I have wanted to fight for a long time. I have thought about a lot of different scenarios if we fought. Maybe in terms of strategy Cub Swanson is ahead of me, but in my mind I know I am the superior fighter.

This might seem arrogant, but I haven’t shown even close to my full capabilities in the UFC yet. I know if I fight to my real potential I beat Cub Swanson. I get the feeling I would beat Cub Swanson not just in a fight, but even in sparring sessions.

It seemed you didn’t feel any pressure in your UFC debut.

I can’t say I was completely relaxed. I have just figured out how to do what I need to do under the pressure. I don’t enjoy the pressure, but I can acknowledge it and fight through it. It’s completely crazy to say one doesn’t feel any pressure at all.

When do you want to fight again?

I want to fight in March. I want Clay Guida, but I am confident I can beat anyone they match me up with.

What style of fighter would you prefer?

Wrestler or striker, it doesn’t matter. I know I can show a part of my skillset regardless of style. I don’t really think I have a weakness against any particular style. I feel against anyone there is something I will be better at.

Don’t you want to have a Korea vs Japan matchup in the UFC?

That’s a comfortable matchup for me. I have a lot of experience against Japanese fighters in Japan. I know I can beat someone like Tatsuya Kawajiri. We have actually been in the same venue and he has always said very nice things about me.

I would be grateful if the UFC gave me that kind of matchup. He is a legend with a big name, but he is definitely not in his prime anymore. I want to fight Gomi also if he plans to drop down.

Nam Yui Chul is also dropping to the featherweight division. How do you feel about this?

Honestly, I don’t know. On one hand I feel he would do better at LW, but this is a decision Nam Yui Chul made after a lot of thought.

The size difference between LW and FW is not that big. He is actually not that much bigger than me. He is also worried less about the weight cut, but the different speeds and rhythm of the FW division. Ultimately, I still think he will do great because his style isn’t based too much on speed anyway.

Dong Hyun Kim described you as “Championship” caliber.

He is just saying that as a way to tell me to work harder. This compliment gives me even more confidence and a surge of power. I feel I can do even better. Dong Hyun Kim is the best Korean UFC fighter. He also has great prediction and analysis abilities (laughs).

You are on a 10 fight win streak. Is there any pressure?

None in regards to my streak. I used to worry about it because my UFC future was at stake, but now I’m here. Whether I become the hunter or the hunted is now based all on my own abilities. I plan to enjoy it.

While it is two different sports; you get compared to Sung Hyun Lee (kickboxer) a lot. He also showed his prodigal skills in his K-1 run.

I am actually friends with him on Facebook (laughs). We have been talking about cross-training for quite a while. I have much to learn from him. He is not someone that will be impressed by my skills. I truly hope we get to train sometime in the future. I want to see him fight Jose Aldo in a kickboxing bout. Of course, Sung Hyun Lee will win.
Who are the Korean fighters you feel will have a breakthrough 2015?

Flyweight Jin Min Kim is so good. When we spar I get hit a lot.

From other teams, I would also say Min Woo Kim and Moon Gi Bum. Moon Gi Bum is actually dropping down to featherweight. I feel he will truly become a monster at that weightclass.

Your goals for 2015?

I get to renegotiate my contract after 3 more bouts. I want to have some impressive performances so I can be in a good position when that happens. My main goal is to become a Top 10 fighter.

Any last words?

Next year is the year of the goat. I also happen to have been born in the year of goat (laughs). To commemorate this, I am going to chew my division and spit it out. After my UFC win I have gained a lot more fans and supporters. I will try my best to repay all these people with my performances. I will show how scary a fighter I really am.

REFERENCE- http://www.mfight.co.kr/news/view.p...e=1&scode=&number=29063&keyfield=&key=&page=2

Last edited:
Year of the goat? Sounds about right :)

Future GOAT right here.

War TKS!

Yet another Asian fighter about to get found out in America.

Swanson vs Choi, book it.

Sounds like he's trying to be the Korean Mcgregor. Talking about cub, Aldo, and contract renegotiations already. My goodness.

Lots of people hating on this dude already lol

I watched some of his fights, and he looks to be a top talent. He can definitely reach top 10 and do some damage.

From the looks of all these negative comments, I'd say this would be a solid bump once he gets bigger fights

Year of the GOAT?

Look out Aldo.

ufcs-conor-mcgregor-in-line-for-featherweight-title-shot-dana-white-says.jpg

Also, Choi is a very exciting prospect. Keeping an eye on him.

I fucking love this kid.

Prease book overrated Cub against this monster.

Back