dont sweat the technique: the ins and outs of jessica andrades game

Hey man, interesting read. Before going a bit further into it, I think cleaning up the thread title with proper grammar and including at least an introductory piece of the article in the thread will have more people reading it.

I feel like you're riding JJ a little hard and being unnecessarily harsh on Andrade. Yes Andrade has a lot of holes, but she is improving and she has something that is very valuable. Power and pressure. She also at times showed quite good timing against Hill and a few good overhands that was actually very technically sound.

JJ is clearly a better striker than Hill, but she doesn't use angles as effectively. She'll be using her range, volume and attacks straight down the line to keep Andrade at bay. She doesn't have a lot of power so I feel like Andrade can get through it, and JJ also doesn't have very good defensive boxing so she'll probably get tagged. The part about Andrade having poor fight IQ and perhaps being cocky for standing with Hill, well, that might be true to some extent, but JJ has underrated grappling anyway (especially her defensive grappling) so the fight will most be contested on the feet. Still, you're right, if Andrade can get her back to the cage and mix it up it will benefit her.

I also think it's not entirely fair to say that, unlike Hill, JJ has poise. She does have a lot of poise yes, but Hill showed a very calm and level head in the Andrade fight. It's incredibly tough fighting someone like that, even if they swing wild, because of the pressure they put on you. She was taking angles, countering and being very cerebreal during that whole thing. Impressively so I'd say.

Anyway, I think JJ takes it, although she has been cracked a few times lately and hasn't shown the power to hurt someone like Andrade easily. I still feel like JJ will use her craftiness and mix it up with the front kicks, low kicks, elbows in range and the clinch to keep Andrade guessing, which will ultimately lead to her victory.

Let's see! It will be a good fight!

Perfect gameplan from JJ. Controlled the range, didn't engage in a brawl, great angles, great feints and setups. Beautiful performance, she really outclassed Andrade. She was smart and her angles looked better than ever.

Bull vs Matador.

Holy shit, Joanna didn't just improve she improved A LOT. She's really a special talent.

Joanna is what a top striker should look in a MMA fight. Perfect technique, lots of snap shots picking apart your opponent, lots of movement and a very good take down defence. She literally outclassed Andrade.

She certainly didn't sweat the technique; any technique at all.

Anyone else impressed by her clinch game at the end of the fifth? Despite the significant strength advantage she looked like she could have beaten Andrade there if she really pushed for it.

Anyone else impressed by her clinch game at the end of the fifth? Despite the significant strength advantage she looked like she could have beaten Andrade there if she really pushed for it.

It wasn't just the fifth. Even in the first round Joanna was landing clean knees when Jessica had her pushed against the cage and it looked like it paid off later in the fight.

She's a 6 time world champion in Muay Thai, IMO it's expected that she has a very good clinch game, afterall, clinching is a big part of that sport.

While Andrade is very strong her technique in the clinch is lacking. In her fight against Hill, she'd often let her head get way in front of her hips while puncing in the clinch and pretty much end up breaking her own posture, all Hill had to do was pull her head down and swing her around to the side to escape the fence. Joanna of course is way better in using the clinch, she'd tie up Andrade's arms to prevent body punches, then either break her posture to land knees or hand fight & frame to land elbows, or both, and then angle off on the break to land more free strikes.

Clinch abuse is what happens when good Muay Thai fighters such as Joanna and Valentina Shevchenko compete in MMA. In Muay Thai the fighters spend a fair amount of time doing this every day, when you've spent years & years drilling the clinch every day it shouldn't be surprising that they're darn good at at.

It wasn't just the fifth. Even in the first round Joanna was landing clean knees when Jessica had her pushed against the cage and it looked like it paid off later in the fight.

Yea she was doing well but then the strength advantage was showing and Joanna was getting taken down. Granted she defended well, but she got lifted off her feet plenty of times. In the fifth though, she took Andrade's back a couple times and looked like she actually could have won the fight there, as opposed to landing some good shots but struggling with being muscled around.

She's a 6 time world champion in Muay Thai, IMO it's expected that she has a very good clinch game, afterall, clinching is a big part of that sport.

While Andrade is very strong her technique in the clinch is lacking. In her fight against Hill, she'd often let her head get way in front of her hips while puncing in the clinch and pretty much end up breaking her own posture, all Hill had to do was pull her head down and swing her around to the side to escape the fence. Joanna of course is way better in using the clinch, she'd tie up Andrade's arms to prevent body punches, then either break her posture to land knees or hand fight & frame to land elbows, or both, and then angle off on the break to land more free strikes.

Clinch abuse is what happens when good Muay Thai fighters such as Joanna and Valentina Shevchenko compete in MMA. In Muay Thai the fighters spend a fair amount of time doing this every day, when you've spent years & years drilling the clinch every day it shouldn't be surprising that they're darn good at at.

I knew she had a very good clinch game, but early in the fight it looked like Andrade was too strong and she didn't really want to scrap there. But by the end of the fight, she initiated it a couple times and got into good positions.

Hey man, interesting read. Before going a bit further into it, I think cleaning up the thread title with proper grammar and including at least an introductory piece of the article in the thread will have more people reading it.

I feel like you're riding JJ a little hard and being unnecessarily harsh on Andrade. Yes Andrade has a lot of holes, but she is improving and she has something that is very valuable. Power and pressure. She also at times showed quite good timing against Hill and a few good overhands that was actually very technically sound.

JJ is clearly a better striker than Hill, but she doesn't use angles as effectively. She'll be using her range, volume and attacks straight down the line to keep Andrade at bay. She doesn't have a lot of power so I feel like Andrade can get through it, and JJ also doesn't have very good defensive boxing so she'll probably get tagged. The part about Andrade having poor fight IQ and perhaps being cocky for standing with Hill, well, that might be true to some extent, but JJ has underrated grappling anyway (especially her defensive grappling) so the fight will most be contested on the feet. Still, you're right, if Andrade can get her back to the cage and mix it up it will benefit her.

I also think it's not entirely fair to say that, unlike Hill, JJ has poise. She does have a lot of poise yes, but Hill showed a very calm and level head in the Andrade fight. It's incredibly tough fighting someone like that, even if they swing wild, because of the pressure they put on you. She was taking angles, countering and being very cerebreal during that whole thing. Impressively so I'd say.

Anyway, I think JJ takes it, although she has been cracked a few times lately and hasn't shown the power to hurt someone like Andrade easily. I still feel like JJ will use her craftiness and mix it up with the front kicks, low kicks, elbows in range and the clinch to keep Andrade guessing, which will ultimately lead to her victory.

Let's see! It will be a good fight!

thank you very much for reading and for replying, any feedback is very much appreciated; i may have gone overboard on jj, but as the fight unraveled alot of people on twitter were of the mind i called it right to a tee.

i just felt there was too big a gap btwn joanna and jessica skillwise; plus i know people at att, i was well aware of how much cleaner she was gonna look technically...

i like andrade; but as i said i felt she had holes she hadnt addressed since she left bw, her phys adv allowed her to minimize the impact those tech shortcomings had. UNTIL she faced someone w/the physical tools and the tech skill to attack those holes continuously and w/a variety of diff tools and in a variety of diff ranges.

thank you very much for reading and for replying, any feedback is very much appreciated; i may have gone overboard on jj, but as the fight unraveled alot of people on twitter were of the mind i called it right to a tee.

i just felt there was too big a gap btwn joanna and jessica skillwise; plus i know people at att, i was well aware of how much cleaner she was gonna look technically...

i like andrade; but as i said i felt she had holes she hadnt addressed since she left bw, her phys adv allowed her to minimize the impact those tech shortcomings had. UNTIL she faced someone w/the physical tools and the tech skill to attack those holes continuously and w/a variety of diff tools and in a variety of diff ranges.
Np!

Yeah it went pretty much like you expected. Same here, but I didn't expect JJ to look as good as she did. I mean, her angles was much better than I've seen before. I thought Andrade would at least get a few more hits in, in the first few rounds.

Back